TSN: Pierre McGuire fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I wonder how they ever convinced DJ Smith to undertake such an impossible scenario?

DJ took a calculated risk coming to Ottawa at the time he did. It remains to be seen if it paid off. He took a low paying HC job on a team with lots of challenges in front of it to win games. He could be fired in two months with a terrible record … or it could pay off.

Spezza doesn’t have the same financial motivation DJ does. He can wait for a perfect situation… or at least not jump at the first weakened position he’s offered.

Last edited:
Reactions: lancepitlick

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
DJ took a calculated risk coming to Ottawa at the time he did. It remains to be seen if it paid off. He took a low paying HC job on a team with lots of challenges in front of it to win games. He could be fired in two months with a terrible record … or it could pay off.

Spezza doesn’t have the same financial motivation DJ does. He can wait for a perfect situation… or at least not a weakened position.
There are some parallels and some differences to their situations for sure. It's an example of someone moving for an opportunity.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022

Spezza doesn’t have the same financial motivation DJ does. He can wait for a perfect situation… or at least not jump at the first weakened position he’s offered.

Former player's usually go back to an organization they're an alumni of to get their start in management. You don't often see a player get hired in the front office of a team they never played for for their first post-retirement job.

Yzerman was in Detroit before Tampa. Francis in Carolina. Darche in Tampa. Etc etc.

Maybe Toronto. Dubas is younger than Spezza and seems entrenched there, but Spezza could step in in a VP type role to gain experience before moving somewhere else.

I could see Dallas. Spezza is close to Jim Nill, who's getting up there in age, and he seems to have really enjoyed living and playing there.

I couldn't see Ottawa right now, with current ownership. But if the team changes hands and Alfredsson is somehow involved in management? Yeah, I could definitely see it happening.

The city certainly wouldn't be a roadblock. I know that Spezza and his wife loved living in Ottawa. They have nothing but great things to say about this community.

Reactions: lancepitlick

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Yeah i cant post in the thread as i had previously done.

then dont even say anyhting. Its like that person on FB whos like 'Im SOOOO sad!' and people comment 'omg whyyy?' and they say 'cant talk bout it'.

Well heres the attention you wanted.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Is there actually evidence that Spezza is interested in moving in to a front office role when his playing days are done? IE has he said so?

Just my gut feeling, but I would not have pegged him as the GM type.
Me neither. Spezza does not seem like the GM type. Maybe a fitness trainer.

Reactions: Cosmix

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
Nobody with options is coming to Ottawa until they figure out their ownership, budget, arena etc.

That goes for GMs, coaches and players.

It isn't a surprise that literally every layer of the organization is people that: had no other options at the same level (Dorion, DJ, Pierre M if angling for GM, Matt Murray's massive contract) or had no say as drafted by the organization or acquired via trade under contract (Brown, Hamonic etc).

Any players that came here willingly did so as out of options and were overpaid: MDZ, Murray etc.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Nobody with options is coming to Ottawa until they figure out their ownership, budget, arena etc.

That goes for GMs, coaches and players.

It isn't a surprise that literally every layer of the organization is people that: had no other options at the same level (Dorion, DJ, Pierre M if angling for GM, Matt Murray's massive contract) or had no say as drafted by the organization or acquired via trade under contract (Brown, Hamonic etc).

Any players that came here willingly did so as out of options and were overpaid: MDZ, Murray etc.
This isn't really true though.

Dadonov chose to come here as one of the top UFA that year. We probably gave him the best contract, but he still chose to come here and had other options

DJ was one of the more highly regarded assistant coaches and very much expected to transition to HC somewhere. He could have waited for something he felt was more ideal, but chose to come here likely because he thought he could be successful.

Zaitsev waived a NTC to come here, he chose to come here. He could have said no and stuck around in Toronto, seems like a good alternative option for him.

Holden extended on a very team friendly deal, no doubt he could have found another landing spot at that price tag

DelZotto allegedly had 5 other options, we may have paid a bit more than the alternatives (nobody but MDZ knows) but he certainly could have gone elsewhere.

Yes, we have a hard time attracting guys, but the narrative that nobody comes here willingly is hyperbole.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
then dont even say anyhting. Its like that person on FB whos like 'Im SOOOO sad!' and people comment 'omg whyyy?' and they say 'cant talk bout it'.

Well heres the attention you wanted.

Dm me if you want the info

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019

Like most rookie coaches he jumped at the opportunity to be a head coach. Nothing calculated about it and the fact that he has his foot in the door means it has paid off.

Record means very little in a league that has surprisingly short memories for coaches whereas getting your start is paramount.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
If Dallas Eakins got another look I don't see how DJ can't given his relatively young age for a coach.
True , but if the Sens don't achieve some measurable success, none of these guys will get second looks!
They may likely have to revisit the assistant coach role again. The walrus is a good example of this.

Reactions: Sweatred

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Good young team ready to take the next step could be a good place for anyone to come into. If they get better they are seen as competent & if the team fails they can blame the org as before. Why wouldn't they come here? Very marketable captain, lots of potential, the meany owner is gone & the city wants a good NHL team.

Reactions: OD99 and Mingus Dew

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Good young team ready to take the next step could be a good place for anyone to come into. If they get better they are seen as competent & if the team fails they can blame the org as before. Why wouldn't they come here? Very marketable captain, lots of potential, the meany owner is gone & the city wants a good NHL team.

I think this is an underappreciated benefit of going to work for "bad" or rebuilding teams. There's mostly just upside for you as you can take credit for any success and pin failure on the status quo.

Reactions: aragorn

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Historically this city has lacked the revenue it takes to push a team over into the upper election of teams let alone over the top. There is no money to fix problems (buyouts etc). Maybe things change and maybe someone sees an opportunity to put their name on a rebuild that is pretty much over. like with Yzerman did in Tampa.

In Tampa he had all the pieces including money, weather, and a tax advantage to keep things together.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Like most rookie coaches he jumped at the opportunity to be a head coach. Nothing calculated about it and the fact that he has his foot in the door means it has paid off.

Record means very little in a league that has surprisingly short memories for coaches whereas getting your start is paramount.
GMs are not idiots and see the roster as a factor in a coach's performance record. Uh. Oh, well perhaps some of them are. :)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Historically this city has lacked the revenue it takes to push a team over into the upper election of teams let alone over the top. There is no money to fix problems (buyouts etc). Maybe things change and maybe someone sees an opportunity to put their name on a rebuild that is pretty much over. like with Yzerman did in Tampa.

In Tampa he had all the pieces including money, weather, and a tax advantage to keep things together.
There used to be a time where they were getting sell out after sellout, same for the RedBlacks, but once they start losing the bandwagon fans no longer attend as many games. It's not the hard core fans or fans of other teams, it's the bandwagon fans that need to come back to help this franchise survive. I don't know if it is possible to go back to those times given all that has happened over the course of the last decade, but winning would help alot.

Maybe there needs to be some new faces in management & I assume if they don't get off to a good start next season that could quickly change too. But if they get off to a good start the talk around town will be that they are winning & winning breeds success at the box office. We'll see, they have a good young team & hopefully they will continue to improve over the course of the next two yrs.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
True , but if the Sens don't achieve some measurable success, none of these guys will get second looks!
They may likely have to revisit the assistant coach role again. The walrus is a good example of this.
MacLean is 20 years older than DJ. DJ will get another chance. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if MacLean also got another shot.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think this is an underappreciated benefit of going to work for "bad" or rebuilding teams. There's mostly just upside for you as you can take credit for any success and pin failure on the status quo.

EXCEPT that maintaining the "status quo" of a bad team is not success!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
There used to be a time where they were getting sell out after sellout, same for the RedBlacks, but once they start losing the bandwagon fans no longer attend as many games. It's not the hard core fans or fans of other teams, it's the bandwagon fans that need to come back to help this franchise survive. I don't know if it is possible to go back to those times given all that has happened over the course of the last decade, but winning would help alot.

Maybe there needs to be some new faces in management & I assume if they don't get off to a good start next season that could quickly change too. But if they get off to a good start the talk around town will be that they are winning & winning breeds success at the box office. We'll see, they have a good young team & hopefully they will continue to improve over the course of the next two yrs.

Hopefully the drafting guru will make better decisions than the last draft and the GM will stop trading away the team's better players and getting little in return (Zibanejad & Stone trades).

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Hopefully the drafting guru will make better decisions than the last draft and the GM will stop trading away the team's better players and getting little in return (Zibanejad & Stone trades).
Hopefully, no guarantees in life.

Reactions: Cosmix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad