Confirmed with Link: Picks recalled, Varly day-to-day

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Colorado Avalanche ‏@Avalanche 5m5 minutes ago
The #Avs have recalled Calvin Pickard from the @sarampage. Semyon Varlamov is listed day-to-day with a groin injury.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Well...we all know Varly has had groin issues. Perhaps he's been struggling with it all year? I think the new 'system' has hurt him, but this could explain quite a bit as well.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I really hope Varly's groin isn't falling apart, but with his history it is getting worrisome.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'd rather have Will come up to just sit around but if its for more than a few days maybe they will get Pickard in.

If there's ANY truth to the "rumors" I could get my tinfoil hat on.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
In the video up on the Avs' site, Roy said the groin injury happened yesterday in the morning skate, but he kind of stumbled the whole thing.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Or.... put the tinfoil hat on and say Roy is just covering for him. :naughty: :sarcasm:

Do it now, don't even let Pickard play the game tonight? Especially if they knew about it yesterday? Berra is going to play tomorrow anyway. I know nobody wants to be short a goalie but the timing is strange.

If Pickard goes back quickly is one thing but if he stays and gets some starts...hmm

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Couldn't they let Pickard play tonight and have him called up tomorrow?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Not a big loss at the moment... he should take all the time he needs and come back full force to ruin the tank. I'd love that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
They probably don't want to have Picks deal with flights late tonight or early tomorrow in case he has to be put in the game. Don't want a repeat of last season...

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Between the ridiculous screens from his teammates and a bad groin, I can probably now give him the benefit of the doubt for how he's played this season.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I really think Avs should consider trading Varly, looks like that groin will always be an issue with him and i'm not sure if he's the guy that will eventually backstop this team to deep playoff runs.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I really hope Varly's groin isn't falling apart, but with his history it is getting worrisome.

How many injuries/tweaks is that now in his career? Feels like it's got to be close to 10 by now.

Even though I don't think they should count him out in favor of Pickard yet by any means, this is becoming a legitimate concern. Maybe I'm forgetting some, but I can't think of any goalies that have had this many groin injuries early in their career and went on to long careers at a high level. Usually groin injuries become more common with age not less.

Many goalies go most of their career without having groin injuries. I think Roy was one of them actually, I don't think he missed games due to groin problems until late in his career.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad