Picking up D-men off the waiver wire (or trade)

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
With our d-men as a whole not in very sound shape physically going into the last week of camp. Everytime one hits the waiver wire, I'm wondering to myself if the Sabres are going to pick up this guy or that guy. I also see articles around claiming d-men might be available out of Edmonton and Philly.

Can someone tell me where we are at with cap space right now? Is anyone else watching this closely?

I think moves are coming to bolster the backend with all these injuries. I wont even be suprised to see a prominate forward traded to get some help back there. I can't see TM sitting back and riding with what we have right now, he doesnt seem like that type.

So let the speculation begin....

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
With our d-men as a whole not in very sound shape physically going into the last week of camp. Everytime one hits the waiver wire, I'm wondering to myself if the Sabres are going to pick up this guy or that guy. I also see articles around claiming d-men might be available out of Edmonton and Philly.

Can someone tell me where we are at with cap space right now? Is anyone else watching this closely?

I think moves are coming to bolster the backend with all these injuries. I wont even be suprised to see a prominate forward traded to get some help back there. I can't see TM sitting back and riding with what we have right now, he doesnt seem like that type.

So let the speculation begin....

Ruh and mccabe are all but back...Risto is back...this injury thing is being blown out of proportion. Stay the course unless it's a trade for a legit top 4 defender we can retain

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Can someone tell me where we are at with cap space right now? Is anyone else watching this closely?.

$9,992,145 cap space this season according to:

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/buffalo-sabres

Don't think we need to make a move for a defender, if we do I'd want an NHL ready 2nd pairing guy. We have enough prospects and change of scenery guys, a move should be for someone that comes in and pushes people down the depth chart. No reason to waste money on a guy that pushes people a line above their ability.

Won't get that guy off waivers. Right now Weber is our median defenseman, we have 2 guys clearly better than him and everyone else equal or below him. If a trade won't bring in someone clearly better than Weber, it isn't a move worth making.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
This is not the year we're going to win the Stanley Cup. I want us to win, and I want us to make the playoffs if we can, and the waiver wire could be fine for the short-term, but I don't want us to panic about getting another defenseman just to get one if he doesn't help our long-term plans. This is the same reason we don't need to trade Fasching or Bailey or Baptiste or whomever to get a LHD right now.
Even if we do have to trade one of them when the time is right, then let them be farther ahead in their development or even in the NHL and worth more to get a better player - and only if that is the D we need to get us to the Cup.
I just don't think there is a cheap waiver wire pickup better than Donovan, Ruh, or McCabe. I'd rather play them.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I think the only reason to pick up a D-man is if injuries force it. But if we have enough guys back it won't be necessary. It looks like Gorges will be ready, dunno about Bogosian. We'd really only be looking for a bottom pair warm body to keep Guhle/McCabe at proper development levels until the regular NHLers are all healthy.

Nibbler

May 24, 2011
Ambassador to Earth
IMO, here is our situation:

#1 NHL Defensmen:
None

Above Average:
Bogosian
Ristolainen (Could make the leap to #1 status within 1-2 seasons)

Average:
Pysyk (Should get better)
Gorges

Below Average:
Ruhwedel (Could get better)
McCabe (Should get better
Weber
Colaiacovo
Franson (Foot speed is a big issue)

AHLer:
Matt Donovan (Might surprise us as an NHLer)

Juniors:
Guhle

Our situation isn't great, but it's not too bad. The players we have now are good enough to win with the right coaching. I don't think waiver wire pick ups will be better than what we already have. If we are winning games and not a bottom feeder at the mid way point I wouldn't mind dangling our 1st rounder for some D help.

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
So no one has any interest in Andrew Ference or Nikita Nikitin if the price was right? (a bag of pucks)

Id rather see a couple of these young guys we currently have playing every night in Rochester than spotting at the NHL level. Obviously were not winning a cup this year, but I'm not so sure these guys wouldnt be valuable just to allow a little more seasoning to our long term solutions.

Thats all I'm really saying, for the sake of developing for the long term, would it be worth it to pick up some stop gaps?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad