Salary Cap: Picking on Boston

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
It occurred to me that the Bruins are fairly capped out as it stands and are going to have a difficult time adding pieces to their roster without moving a substantial player off the books. Which got me thinking, if you're a divisional rival would it not be in your best interest to take a shot at one of their more desirable RFAs like Krug or Reilly Smith. Reilly in particular looks like he could be a perennial 20 - 30 goal man and would probably be worth an offer in the 3 - 4 mil range given that the UFA options out there aren't all that appealing and would likely cost you more. Nonis seems to have struck out on any premier UFAs (probably for the best) but this could be an evil little tactic and a win win for the Leafs. Either Boston matches (probably would) and their cap situation goes from bad to almost impossible or you steal one of their better young forwards, strengthening your team's depth while depleting theirs. Any takers?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Would love to somehow snag Rielly Smith.

Even Brad Marchand who they have been rumored to be looking at moving, could be a nice fit with Kadri-Lupul

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Would love to somehow snag Rielly Smith.

Even Brad Marchand who they have been rumored to be looking at moving, could be a nice fit with Kadri-Lupul

Marchand is a decent player but that's an ugly cap hit and I think there's a danger of him busting if he ever leaves the Bruins... Smith on the other hand would be sick. Nonis really needs to bring in a new element on Kadri and Lupe's line if the plan is to keep them together.

William Nylander*

Nonis doesn't have the balls to make an offer sheet

And besides that, he's tight with Chiarelli so it wouldn't happen anyway

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Nonis doesn't have the balls to make an offer sheet

And besides that, he's tight with Chiarelli so it wouldn't happen anyway

Ya that's probably the case but he's also got Shanahan and Leiwike breathing down his neck. He would instantly become a fan favorite if he attempted a move like this

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
are you nuts?
in one of the biggest centre-filled drafts in years you want Nonis to offer-sheet someone now? and we're going to suck?

noo thank you.
I am usually yay! offer sheet them! but not when we're going to stink and a draft this centre-deep. because you know it would be - we get Smith, Boston gets the pick and we are 1st overall. You KNOW that would happen

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto GM's probably won't want to mess around with Chiarelli, since they'll be calling him up for a management job when they get canned from Toronto.

But in an ideal world, yes, if we had a second rounder to spare, we offer sheet Krug. Then Smith, but I wouldn't mess around with a first.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Rather than trying to target one of their RFAs, why no go for Chris Kelly? He's still an excellent 3rd liner, and you could probably get him pretty cheap if they want to make some cap room.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Smith is not going anyhwere...

I have coveted Marchand for a while though deep down.

He would be a good fit on our second line forsure.

He fits a lot better with our style then Bostons too, hes a pure rush player and a good forechecker but not that effective of an in zone player.

I would definitely target Marchand.

I would also easily take Seidenberg off there hands.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
are you nuts?
in one of the biggest centre-filled drafts in years you want Nonis to offer-sheet someone now? and we're going to suck?

noo thank you.
I am usually yay! offer sheet them! but not when we're going to stink and a draft this centre-deep. because you know it would be - we get Smith, Boston gets the pick and we are 1st overall. You KNOW that would happen

Lol! That would happen. Which is why the offers would have to be in the 2nd round compensation range... I think 3.3 million is the ceiling. Definitely no 1st round picks

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
It occurred to me that the Bruins are fairly capped out as it stands and are going to have a difficult time adding pieces to their roster without moving a substantial player off the books. Which got me thinking, if you're a divisional rival would it not be in your best interest to take a shot at one of their more desirable RFAs like Krug or Reilly Smith. Reilly in particular looks like he could be a perennial 20 - 30 goal man and would probably be worth an offer in the 3 - 4 mil range given that the UFA options out there aren't all that appealing and would likely cost you more. Nonis seems to have struck out on any premier UFAs (probably for the best) but this could be an evil little tactic and a win win for the Leafs. Either Boston matches (probably would) and their cap situation goes from bad to almost impossible or you steal one of their better young forwards, strengthening your team's depth while depleting theirs. Any takers?

Seriously?

You want to hand the Bruins another 1st round draft pick that could end up as a lottery pick?

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Rather than trying to target one of their RFAs, why no go for Chris Kelly? He's still an excellent 3rd liner, and you could probably get him pretty cheap if they want to make some cap room.

Big Chris Kelly fan. Could be the poor man's Dave Bolland. Similar players... Great defensive centers, proven winners with some offensive upside. Use him to shelter Kadri's minutes... I like it. What would be going back?

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
are you nuts?

noo thank you.

Yeah, let's not go down that road with Boston again. The hockey gods seem to be a bunch of Quebecers who hate the Leafs by default.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Big Chris Kelly fan. Could be the poor man's Dave Bolland. Similar players... Great defensive centers, proven winners with some offensive upside. Use him to shelter Kadri's minutes... I like it. What would be going back?

As I said, I doubt they would ask for much. 3 million on their cap is what they gain. Maybe a long-shot prospect like McKegg.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
As I said, I doubt they would ask for much. 3 million on their cap is what they gain. Maybe a long-shot prospect like McKegg.

Hmmm... I think its unlikely that Boston sends him to Toronto for a song. A western conference team might be able to grab him for next to nothing but I'm sure they'd want to make it sting a lot more than that assuming they'd even be interested in moving him within the division

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Hmmm... I think its unlikely that Boston sends him to Toronto for a song. A western conference team might be able to grab him for next to nothing but I'm sure they'd want to make it sting a lot more than that assuming they'd even be interested in moving him within the division

Yeah, they would prefer to send him outside their division, but if they can't, I'm sure they would rather sign their RFAs that try to squeeze us.

spars

Mar 7, 2012
London
Throwing out a smaller offer sheet (2-4 million) would be matched by Boston. They can go over the cap now (10%) and Marc Savard will go on LTIR when the season starts saving 4 million off the cap.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Lol! That would happen. Which is why the offers would have to be in the 2nd round compensation range... I think 3.3 million is the ceiling. Definitely no 1st round picks

We've given away ENOUGH 2nd round picks. No more, please.

Besides.......do we even have next year's 2nd? Don't think so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad