Pick Your Poison -- Boston or Montreal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cliffy1814

Nov 10, 2011
The Rangers will probably be off until Sunday. That's a lot of rest.

Rangers will open Saturday afternoon at 1:00 if the Kings force a game 7 tonight since that game 7 is scheduled for Friday.
If Anaheim ends that series tonight than everybody is done and the NHL could do either game Saturday, but I'd still bet we get the first game.

By the way... NBC has a game scheduled Sat at 1:00 and Sunday at 3:00
NBCSN has a game scheduled Sunday at 8:00.

Sounds like somebody (probably us) will be playing a back to back right out of the shoot since there are only two series and three games scheduled?

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
If I can play two equal teams, I prefer the less physical one. If we get out of the ECF, I don't want this team unable to move in the Finals. I also don't want to risk an injury early in this series that would cripple our chances.

On top of that, the Habs are worse than Da Bears. They would also be the team that just came out of a series being run over by Lucic, Chara, etc. With them having one day less of rest and a far more physical round 2 opponent, we might be able to take advantage of them either in game 1 to steal it on the road or late in the series if we pound them hard where they will run out of energy.

The Rangers having a day off while the Habs get pounded hard by the Bears in Game 7 is a pretty significant advantage at this stage.
Great post. Very solid points. Thank God that series is going to 7.

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
Rangers will open Saturday afternoon at 1:00 if the Kings force a game 7 tonight since that game 7 is scheduled for Friday.
If Anaheim ends that series tonight than everybody is done and the NHL could do either game Saturday, but I'd still bet we get the first game.

Sounds like somebody (probably us) will be playing a back to back right out of the shoot since there are only two series and three games scheduled?

I HATE these afternoon games! :rant:

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
both teams will be challenging. Don't prefer either, but glad to see a couple original six teams and hope the Rangers pull off another series win.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

It could be that Sunday 3pm is if Anaheim wins and Sunday 8pm is if LA wins... or vice versa. If Anaheim wins, game 1 is in Anaheim. If LA wins, game 1 is in Chicago.

Last edited:

KreiMeARiver*

I don't care. I think something special is happening and I fear no team.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
They better not give us back to back. It seems like the schedulers will do everything possible to avoid giving us a single Friday or Saturday game.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Both will be great.

Montreal because our absymal record at the Bell Centre
Boston because of last year

Either way it will be difficult and in both cases, if we win, we get a huge monkey of our back

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
If it is Montreal, the team needs to channel some serious 1996 energy. Not the whole going down 2-0 thing, but the winning 3 games in Montreal thing.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Montreal by a mile

They have one less line then Boston and I think their style of play and physicality favors the Rangers game more than the B's.

With that said, either team can be beaten and either team can move onto the finals.

I expect it to be Boston though. Whatever the case, let's hope these teams beat each other up pretty good tonight.

Above and Beyond

Apr 26, 2012
Originally voted Boston because...

- Boston's #1 centre, Krejci, has been surprisingly quiet after an outstanding playoffs last season (26 pts in 22 games). If Krejci's not rolling, McDonagh and Girardi have a lighter load.

- BOS is generally slower than MTL, and the Rangers are fairly quick and shifty. Chara hasn't looked as quite good as previous playoffs, and that's not to say he isn't dominant - because he is. The quicker and agile Habs players are exposing him a little at times.

- Injuries to Mcquaid and Seidenberg have left a couple holes on this team and that cannot be understated. These are two very important depth guys who's shoes (skates) are being filled by inferior players.

BUT.

The Bruins probably have the psychological edge with last season's series. They are certainly tougher and battle tested. They are also three lines deep with 3 very good defensemen to shoulder the load (Chara and to a lesser extent Hamilton and Krug). Oh, and the super-pest Marchand would be lots of fun.

But watching them vs the Canadiens... there is NO QUIT in this Bruins team. They throw everything at the Habs even when they trail. They have been to the top of the mountain and know what it takes to win. Exhibit A: the Toronto series last season. They don't get rattled. They just keep pushing. Like CHI out west.

I change my mind, the Canadiens and the Bell Centre can get into a lather, but they're a less physical team with less experience. The Habs have three solid forward lines but nothing that can't be matched. Price vs Rask is a wash - both are excellent.

A key factor could be instigating Subban. The guy is scary good - but he can be rattled during the heat of battle. The Rangers did a good job pushing Sid and Geno's buttons - specifically Boyle, D.Moore, Dorsett, and Zucc. I expect they can do the same to Subban.

Either way, the Bruins and Habs are great teams. Both are favorites vs the Rangers. I hope nobody is expecting a magical run from the Rangers at this point. The reality is the Rangers are not the favorites regardless of tonight's outcome.

I'm loving the heart and work ethic from this Rangers team, though!

Cheers

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
For the record, this isn't last years team. Last year's series has almost no relevance to this year's team and a potential meet up. Last year, we had Torts as the coach. Last year, our third line was Pyatt-Boyle-Dorsett. Last year, Del Zotto was a top-4 D on our team, Staal was hurt, and our third pairing consisted of Steve Eminger and Roman Hamrlik.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
For the record, this isn't last years team. Last year's series has almost no relevance to this year's team and a potential meet up. Last year, we had Torts as the coach. Last year, our third line was Pyatt-Boyle-Dorsett. Last year, Del Zotto was a top-4 D on our team, Staal was hurt, and our third pairing consisted of Steve Eminger and Roman Hamrlik.

Yes, this is all true. I don't think Boston makes quick work of us like they did in that series, which wasn't as lopsided as people make it out to be. Every game was a 1-goal affair except for game 2.

I particularly think that our team lines up better with what our coach wants from it compared to a year ago.

Something else to mention, somewhat out of the depths of Rangers history. In 1972, the Rangers went to the SCF against the Bruins and lost in 6. Most people know that. What they don't know is that in the next playoffs, 1973, the Rangers and Bruins met in the first round. The Rangers won in 5, outscoring them 22-11 . On the flip side, the Blackhawks got swept by the Rangers in 1972 in the semi-finals and then beat the Rangers in 5 in 1973, also in the semi-finals. So BB is right here. Last year's series doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
An argument can be made for both.

Montreal matches up better against us, even though that arena is a house of horrors for us.

Looking back on the Boston series last year we played against them last season I felt we played them pretty good when you look at the other two series they played on their way to the SCF.

I have to go with Boston. Why? My reason is 100% selfish. It's an easier drive to Boston then it is to Montreal.

CharlieCharleschuk

Nov 26, 2013
Yes, this is all true. I don't think Boston makes quick work of us like they did in that series, which wasn't as lopsided as people make it out to be. Every game was a 1-goal affair except for game 2.

I particularly think that our team lines up better with what our coach wants from it compared to a year ago.

Boston vs. NYR this year is a totally different ball of wax. Our style is 100% different, our lines are better and our players are better. No way we give them the room and time to bomb from the point. I bet Krug has a very different experience, for one.

However, against Montreal, who counterattack with speed, we might be in trouble. We just saw many games where we gave up breakaways or odd-man rushes to the Pens and Flyers. Montreal will use that weakness to their advantage.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Boston vs. NYR this year is a totally different ball of wax. Our style is 100% different, our lines are better and our players are better. No way we give them the room and time to bomb from the point. I bet Krug has a very different experience, for one.

However, against Montreal, who counterattack with speed, we might be in trouble. We just saw many games where we gave up breakaways or odd-man rushes to the Pens and Flyers. Montreal will use that weakness to their advantage.

How many breakaways did the Rangers give up after penalties? It seemed like there was 2-3 games in a row where 1 or more occurred. Man I hope they fix that.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

Pens had 15 shots on goal from above the circles last night, FYI. That's ON goal, not including all the shots that were blocked or missed the net. Honestly, we looked pretty similar to under Torts in the d-zone. Any time they got the puck, they'd just blindly try to chip it out of the zone, via icings or straight giveaways, they were giving it right back to the Pens all night. It was a legendary performance by Henrik.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Pens had 15 shots on goal from above the circles last night, FYI. That's ON goal, not including all the shots that were blocked or missed the net. Honestly, we looked pretty similar to under Torts in the d-zone. Any time they got the puck, they'd just blindly try to chip it out of the zone, via icings or straight giveaways, they were giving it right back to the Pens all night. It was a legendary performance by Henrik.

They looked pretty similar to the Torts Rangers in every zone.

The team forechecked two players but without support, didn't use the middle of the ice to break out, revisited their compulsion to blindly throw the puck around or up the boards to no one, made long stretch passes that resulted in icings, didn't stand up enough near their own blueline, were blocking shots like mad men...

They looked terrified to give up breakaways and off man rushes.

Thank god it worked.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City

Yet they were 3-0 THIS year, against the Rangers.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
They looked pretty similar to the Torts Rangers in every zone.

The team forechecked two players but without support, didn't use the middle of the ice to break out, revisited their compulsion to blindly throw the puck around or up the boards to no one, made long stretch passes that resulted in icings, didn't stand up enough near their own blueline, were blocking shots like mad men...

They looked terrified to give up breakaways and off man rushes.

Thank god it worked.

Yeah I mean, whatever works. Was really stressful to watch though. :laugh:

Doesn't matter how dialed in Hank is, can't let Chara/Subban fire away all series.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
dont care. we can beat both and we can lose to both. when ur down to the final 4 ur not looking at favorable matchups anymore. every team left will have gone halfway through the battle to the cup and deserve to be at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad