OT: Pick the play-off teams

member 96824

I have a sneaking suspicion that one of those two will miss the playoffs.

I get Dallas is basically just loading their offense with as much talent as they can find, but I question exactly what it is they're "going for". Their biggest leaders seem to be fourth line guys like Fiddler. Is Jaimie Benn a good leader? Even if Seguin's improved, he doesn't strike me as a leader. Maybe now that Spezza's in a bit of a better situation, he can be a leader. But, if I thought that was a guarantee I'd have to be ignoring his last 2+ seasons in Ottawa.

On top of this...I just looked at their defensive core. Can you say weak and washed up? I don't understand teams that do this. You have a clear need during the offseason but ignore it because former star caliber names Spezza and Hemsky, both of whom, if anything, move you backwards in the defensive category. This is something the Habs were doing with the Kovalev's and Kostitsyn's and they finally figured out they would never get anywhere in the playoffs building a team on nothing but finesse. And by "figured out", I mean they found a GM who wasn't a moron.

Benn's absolutely a leader, seems Seguin has stepped up into the role as well very nicely. I have a hard time seeing Dallas missing the playoffs, they've got a strong team. Colorado I would say the same, but man did they lay a stinker last night.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Benn's absolutely a leader, seems Seguin has stepped up into the role as well very nicely. I have a hard time seeing Dallas missing the playoffs, they've got a strong team. Colorado I would say the same, but man did they lay a stinker last night.

I have the feeling Colorado got a historic year from Varlamov. I have a weird feeling he isn't going to play THAT well again. He just doesn't have a history of it. And that defense still has holes. They have a bunch of guys as well that are awesome offensively but not exactly the greatest defensively. I have them on the cusp as the 8 seed in my predictions, but it wouldn't surprise me if they missed.

And how about our boy Joe Colborne? 4 points already through 2 games.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I have the feeling Colorado got a historic year from Varlamov. I have a weird feeling he isn't going to play THAT well again. He just doesn't have a history of it. And that defense still has holes. They have a bunch of guys as well that are awesome offensively but not exactly the greatest defensively. I have them on the cusp as the 8 seed in my predictions, but it wouldn't surprise me if they missed.

Yeah, after last night I'm convinced the team might be Colorado. I know it's silly to sort of shift after a game, but holy ****, Colorado's D. It was mind bogglingly bad. :amazed:

I really think Dallas and Colorado did the same thing though. Both teams needed to address their defense and blew their wad on offense instead. That's an amateur mistake, IMO. You can't win in the long run on offense alone, but you can win on a decent offense and a solid defense. My prediction is that Avs fans will hate Iggy's 3 year deal by a quarter of the way through the season, and within a year or two Dallas will deeply regret losing Chiasson for Spezza.

edit: The other thing is Lindy Ruff. I've always thought he was an excellent coach.

Last edited:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

He fits really well in Calgary with what Hartley's trying to do and he is a solid hockey player. I really don't feel moving him can ever be qualified as a "mistake" even if it only got us one year of a silly one-dimensional defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad