Pick a prospect (viewing analysis)

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I take Trouba. Not because I am sour on Scheifele, he looks like he will be a beaut. Simply because what Trouba is currently projecting to be is a perennial all star. A big, 2 way defenceman that isn't afraid to get his nose dirty. A guy who has shown he can play in the big games.

If you extrapolate both players out to their potential, Trouba is the more valuable player. The trick is figuring out whether either of them will realize that potential. I wouldn't bet against either.

Exactly this.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I thought exactly THIS and also voted for Trouba.

But this made me think about: Didn't we had a prospect voting last year before the season started? Every round some new came to the poll and we went from #1 downwards. I'd like to do that again. Who did it, anybody remember?

We usually do that in the off-season when it's slow. I did it two years ago, but I think I got beaten to the punch last when somebody started it (too early, IMO, plus I wanted to do it :laugh:). I believe Scheifele won this summer...I'll try to find the thread....

Here's the thread from last year. It was Hank that slimy little ******* that stole it from me...:sarcasm:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1232503

Scheifele won it handidly this summer, hell Telegin had nearly as much support as Trouba for #1 overall, although Trouba blew him out of the water for #2.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I like Trouba's ceiling and floor a bit more than Scheifele's, but I voted Scheifele because I think we'll need a top 6 forward a bit more than a top 3 defenceman going forward.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Bogosian was drafted as a skating offensive defenseman, who has developed a defensive game...Trouba was drafted as a nasty, smart, positionally solid defensive defensive defenseman who is developing an offensive game...

Trouba's upside defensively is waay higher than Bogosian's...I like Bogosian and he is very solid in his own end, but he is so valuable due to his two way play, it's not there isn't any holes in his defensive game at all...

Interesting Holden where do you see Trouba's D ceiling and who would you compare him to defensively (setting the O to the side)?

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I voted Trouba, but not because i think Scheifele is a dud.

If Trouba continues to develop as he is, he could be a very special player. Scheifele can still be a very useful piece (yes, in the top 6 - Postmafan1 ;) ), but Trouba might be the more important go-to guy.

Right now, Trouba is an untouchable, imo. Scheifele would be pretty darn close to untouchable, too, but a "socks knocked off deal" might make him available, for me.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Looked at this poll earlier and couldn't pull the trigger. Came back to it and voted Trouba. Not that I don't think Scheifele will be a valuable member of the team, I just think Trouba has the potential to be really special.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Bogosian was drafted as a skating offensive defenseman, who has developed a defensive game...Trouba was drafted as a nasty, smart, positionally solid defensive defensive defenseman who is developing an offensive game...

Trouba's upside defensively is waay higher than Bogosian's...I like Bogosian and he is very solid in his own end, but he is so valuable due to his two way play, it's not there isn't any holes in his defensive game at all...

I agree, though Trouba had a bomb for a shot, he didn't always use it to his full advantage.

What i like about having both Bogo and Trouba in a Jets uniform, in the future, is how the two would complement each other.

Bogo started out as a pretty offensive dman in Atlanta, got injured and seemed to derail him a bit. Then, with Buff on board, he was asked to become a shutdown, physical dman sacrificing some of his offense. I'm thinking his 'transition' year (Yr 3 in Atlanta) didn't go so well. He comes to Winnipeg, works with Huddy, and becomes much better defensively, in that shut down role.

Now with Trouba on board, or the type of dman Atlanta coaches wanted Bogo to be, I'm hopeful that Bogo is allowed to play a bit more offensive, while still playing a solid defensive game. That might align more to his strengths, as he has a more explosive offensive game than what we've seen to date.

Trouba can then come in and be that shut down dman, who might provide more offense than what Bogo did last year. Bottom line, we have TWO big, physical dmen who are sound defensively, but who also provide decent points offensively.

I see Bogo/Trouba > Buff/Bogo. Buff provides more offense, potentially, but is much weaker defensively than either Bogo or Trouba (projected). Looking forward to what this defense corps looks like in a couple of years.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Scheifele looks like avg 1st line upside to avg-to-below-avg 2nd line downside...
Trouba looks like above-avg 1st pairing upside to avg 2nd pairing downside...

So I can see either one of these players being the "better" one for the team but both I'd say are pretty much guaranteed to be top6/4 players (baring any major/unforseen upset in development).

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I agree, though Trouba had a bomb for a shot, he didn't always use it to his full advantage.

What i like about having both Bogo and Trouba in a Jets uniform, in the future, is how the two would complement each other.

Bogo started out as a pretty offensive dman in Atlanta, got injured and seemed to derail him a bit. Then, with Buff on board, he was asked to become a shutdown, physical dman sacrificing some of his offense. I'm thinking his 'transition' year (Yr 3 in Atlanta) didn't go so well. He comes to Winnipeg, works with Huddy, and becomes much better defensively, in that shut down role.

Now with Trouba on board, or the type of dman Atlanta coaches wanted Bogo to be, I'm hopeful that Bogo is allowed to play a bit more offensive, while still playing a solid defensive game. That might align more to his strengths, as he has a more explosive offensive game than what we've seen to date.

Trouba can then come in and be that shut down dman, who might provide more offense than what Bogo did last year. Bottom line, we have TWO big, physical dmen who are sound defensively, but who also provide decent points offensively.

I see Bogo/Trouba > Buff/Bogo. Buff provides more offense, potentially, but is much weaker defensively than either Bogo or Trouba (projected). Looking forward to what this defense corps looks like in a couple of years.

What if Trouba learns his offside
Enstrom-Byfuglien offense
Trouba-Bogosian shutdown
as the years go by you give more toi to the younger players than the older
;) keep your heads up star players (I'm looking at you ever f'ing members of EDM hahaha!)

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
What if Trouba learns his offside
Enstrom-Byfuglien offense
Trouba-Bogosian shutdown
as the years go by you give more toi to the younger players than the older
;) keep your heads up star players (I'm looking at you ever f'ing members of EDM hahaha!)

Ya, thought about it garret, but that would be a very expensive d corps. All 4 could command $5+ mill (or maybe quite a bit more) if playing to their potential in a couple of years. So, the guy i feel we can sacrifice is Buff. Just my opinion, of course.

Bolded: nothing would make me feel better than the hot-shot oilers dreading MTS Center because of what they had to face that night. A pro-jets screamming crowd and twin towers of pain. Love it!!!

Duir

Likely trying to prove Trouba is better or should be considered our number 1.

I guess, maybe. Says to only pick one. We got both so I am not sure what the point is of only choosing one. Maybe your right though and I am misunderstanding it :dunce:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
No offense here, but what is the point of this poll?

Likely trying to prove Trouba is better or should be considered our number 1.

I still fail to see what is wrong with this thread?

These exist all over HF Boards. We are here to have debates and discussions, no? Our top two prospects are Trouba and Scheifele.

Put your thoughts on the OP and possible motives aside and just debate the subject. We are not here to speculate on posters. If you find the subject too unsavoury, just ignore it. It is really very simple.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I still fail to see what is wrong with this thread?

These exist all over HF Boards. We are here to have debates and discussions, no? Our top two prospects are Trouba and Scheifele.

Put your thoughts on the OP and possible motives aside and just debate the subject. We are not here to speculate on posters. If you find the subject too unsavoury, just ignore it. It is really very simple.

I don't have a problem with it at all, I was just answering his question.

Which in that vein aren't we allowed to discuss the subject at hand? If we're discussing who to vote on, shouldn't we ask why we're voting on someone?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
If true this question is stated in a bias way. To get a true result you'd have to ask.
Who is Jets' #1 Prospect:
A) Scheifele
B) Trouba
C) Both
D) Neither
E) I don't know or don't care

I think you should post your own poll. :nod:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I don't have a problem with it at all, I was just answering his question.

Which in that vein aren't we allowed to discuss the subject at hand? If we're discussing who to vote on, shouldn't we ask why we're voting on someone?

As long as we aren't discussing specific posters and their potential bias. It is too easy for that sort of thing to become flaming or poster bashing, which is obviously not allowed.

I wasn't trying to pick on you Sweech, this thread has been a bit contentious from the start :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad