Physicality Lost???

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
Is it just me (in this early season) that we don't seem to be playing physical? Martin has seemed quiet and so have others who usually throw the body around.

We need to play physical hockey! To use a sandpaper reference we're playing more like 2000 grit, when we should be playing like 40 grit.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Nashville hit every shift. Isles hit when they want to change momentum. If both teams were pacemakers.....

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Clutterbuck was supposed to add to that....according to Wild fans his physical play has taken its toll on him....

I wish we didn't give away and waste our top 5 pick...

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Clutterbuck was supposed to add to that....according to Wild fans his physical play has taken its toll on him....

Wild fans love to talk about how bad Clutterbuck is. He brings exactly what this team needs, but that injury is going to take a little while to be 100% again.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
The problem isn't even Clutterbuck or hitting in general; it's a combination of legs, timing and getting into the swing of the season, I think. They simply need to get better at forcing the opponent on their heels rather then being on their own, at which point they don't even really look that bad; they just nearly can't transition at all, at the moment.

Once they getinto the rhythm a little, they'll hopefully be able to successfully fight for puck possession, make better passes and fight that habit of turtling in the D-zone so often.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
We're all going to die!!!!

Clutterbuck is injured...and raw. When he gets back, he's solid in three zones and mean. But let's close the book since there is no prerequisite for crayons within the pages.

If this team FIGHTS for every inch for sixty minutes, we're a VERY solid team.

But we look raw and incomplete thus far. We're relying on bounces and blaming individuals for team wide funks. Bailey, Neilson and Grabner have been aberrations out there each night.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I think we really have to keep Carkner in the line up. I know everyone thinks that the Vis/Hickey pairing was great last year but they haven't been so far these first few games. That second pairing is really getting pushed around. I think Strait should be moved up with Vis and Donovan/Hickey should rotate in with Carkner. You would think that Hickey's skill set would translate into points but it's just not happening. Maybe if he was playing against 3rd and 4th liners he could put up some points on the bottom pairing.

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008
I'd like to add, "Where did the speed go that confounded the Pens last spring and the speed that was mentioned by the Coyote's broadcasters just last week?"

Talain

Mar 7, 2007

It was wasted regardless.

Though speaking of top 5 picks, another one of ours is currently wasting away in Bridgeport when he should be up here :rant:

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Clutterbuck is injured...and raw. When he gets back, he's solid in three zones and mean. But let's close the book since there is no prerequisite for crayons within the pages.

If this team FIGHTS for every inch for sixty minutes, we're a VERY solid team.

But we look raw and incomplete thus far. We're relying on bounces and blaming individuals for team wide funks.

Raw is the word. I think they'll mesh; they could be much, much worse, to be honest......if they couldn't play half-decent zone defense, they could have given up 5 goals to Nashville and almost twice that to the Hawks.

They'll get their legs soon (hopefully) and this year's iteration of combos from the same six players will be sussed out. I remember Grabner only looking good with JT in spurts while being too different of a scorer to remain on the top line, but I think some combo of Bailey, Grabner and Clutterbuck could open up offense, maybe significantly if Clutter can do a little of what Moulson does and add more snarl to a line with very little.

Still, they've made games when they've been outplayed very close, and they've managed to pop off very quick strikes. The thing they need to go is continue getting into true season shape, up the attack and accuracy and sustain it.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Is it just me (in this early season) that we don't seem to be playing physical? Martin has seemed quiet and so have others who usually throw the body around.

We need to play physical hockey! To use a sandpaper reference we're playing more like 2000 grit, when we should be playing like 40 grit.

The entire team looks like it is waking up. I hope they find their tenaciousness soon because an early slump could sink the ship before it ever gets out of port (as in the past).

Islander102

Dec 28, 2006
They're slow, and out of sync right now. I don't think it has very much to do with the physicality being gone. The team has overall played like crap in every aspect of the game.

The effort is there, and the desire is there, they just look sloppy and pretty much awful right now. Look around the league, and you'll find that the Islanders are hardly alone. The good news is that the Islanders playing out of sync hockey has resulted in 5 points in the first five games, 4 one goal games, and a blowout win.

When they get their legs under them, both physicality and more sustained offense will come.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Raw is the word. I think they'll mesh; they could be much, much worse, to be honest......if they couldn't play half-decent zone defense, they could have given up 5 goals to Nashville and almost twice that to the Hawks.

They'll get their legs soon (hopefully) and this year's iteration of combos from the same six players will be sussed out. I remember Grabner only looking good with JT in spurts while being too different of a scorer to remain on the top line, but I think some combo of Bailey, Grabner and Clutterbuck could open up offense, maybe significantly if Clutter can do a little of what Moulson does and add more snarl to a line with very little.

Still, they've made games when they've been outplayed very close, and they've managed to pop off very quick strikes. The thing they need to go is continue getting into true season shape, up the attack and accuracy and sustain it.

Good post. I want to see every guy HAVE their man, SKATE HARDER and force the play more, but yeah...there's that raw word.

That said, I gotta be honest about a few guys giving effort I'm surprised by. Grabner, obviously, but pay some attention to where Regin is, when he makes a play and how hard he stays on his check. I didn't expect that. Nielson I did. I expect eventually Casy, Martin and CMac will get there, as will Clutterbuck, but am pleased with a few guys above.

Three lines that fight for space I expect will be there in time. Maybe a few games. That leaves me to think line 1 just needs a winger with Moulson and JT to show up strong, be it KO or Bailey or Clutterbuck. That's four lines that to arying degrees will fight to own the zones.

The subtleties can be seen and we did just take two definite losers {when you note the effort/results of the play of both teams} through sixty behind only by a goal.

I have only questions of how our defense will play in the coming months. Hard fighting or opportunistic drivel?

ledzep1212

COYB
Apr 5, 2007
Lindenhurst
I think we really have to keep Carkner in the line up. I know everyone thinks that the Vis/Hickey pairing was great last year but they haven't been so far these first few games. That second pairing is really getting pushed around. I think Strait should be moved up with Vis and Donovan/Hickey should rotate in with Carkner. You would think that Hickey's skill set would translate into points but it's just not happening. Maybe if he was playing against 3rd and 4th liners he could put up some points on the bottom pairing.

lol.

djavan

May 7, 2003
Visit site

djavan

May 7, 2003
Visit site
i WILL add that there was no coincidence that Okposo's fight in game two of the Pens series turned things around.

Someome might need to do something similar for this regular season

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
i WILL add that there was no coincidence that Okposo's fight in game two of the Pens series turned things around.

Someome might need to do something similar for this regular season

Okposo has been a shell of the player he was in the playoffs. He can't be that guy for JT. I just don't think he has the right demeanour to go out every night and be a physical presence.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
It was wasted regardless.

Though speaking of top 5 picks, another one of ours is currently wasting away in Bridgeport when he should be up here :rant:

Please God, Why wont anyone think of the Children!!!!! :sarcasm:

Smothering is one way to put it, but sshhh dont let anyone here you say that. Strome needs another year of seasoning, We gotta develop our prospects till they turn 23.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Please God, Why wont anyone think of the Children!!!!! :sarcasm:

Smothering is one way to put it, but sshhh dont let anyone here you say that. Strome needs another year of seasoning, We gotta develop our prospects till they turn 23.

Or we could trade for an established vet who doesn't have a scary injury history. I know, what a crazy concept.

I just watched Anaheim dismantle Ottawa (the score really does no justice to just how badly beaten Ott was tonight). Watching Perry... Just the idea of someone like that on John's wing, a big bodied scoring threat with snarl and a dirty side... No matter how great Strome may be in the future that's not his game. We simply do not have that guy on the team yet, and as much as I like Lee his skating is a major hindrance to him being that guy.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Or we could trade for an established vet who doesn't have a scary injury history. I know, what a crazy concept.

I just watched Anaheim dismantle Ottawa (the score really does no justice to just how badly beaten Ott was tonight). Watching Perry... Just the idea of someone like that on John's wing, a big bodied scoring threat with snarl and a dirty side... No matter how great Strome may be in the future that's not his game. We simply do not have that guy on the team yet, and as much as I like Lee his skating is a major hindrance to him being that guy.

players like Perry are pretty rare and expensive, in dollars and assets. See: Vanek.
---
These Islanders are a good team. I'm not worried. If any of you were expecting playoffs-intensity in the regular season then I can see the disappointment. Playoffs are a different animal.

This team has four good lines and seven good defensemen. The question mark was in goal, and he's played great except for one game.

Let the team come together.

Anyone who's got a problem with Hickey just isn't watching closely enough. Get past the size, he's damn good defensively and offensively. Sure he can't move people but he rarely gets caught out of position and when he does, he can skate his way back. Carkner played well against NASH too, he's a very solid #7 guy, but he does scare me against fast forwards with his poor lateral movement. But when Alex Pietrangelo becomes an Islander, I'd be glad to sit both those guys.

And Clutterbuck is another one. Think Colin McDonald but a better skater. Don't expect anything more and you'll appreciate him for what he is. If he replaced Moulson and we watched Bailey-Tavares- Clutterbuck and Grabner-Nielsen-Okposo as the top six, at least 5on5, we'd have a better appreciation for what he brings. And give the guy some time.

This is a good Isles team. They deserve a break.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
players like Perry are pretty rare and expensive, in dollars and assets. See: Vanek.
---
These Islanders are a good team. I'm not worried. If any of you were expecting playoffs-intensity in the regular season then I can see the disappointment. Playoffs are a different animal.

This team has four good lines and seven good defensemen. The question mark was in goal, and he's played great except for one game.

Let the team come together.

Anyone who's got a problem with Hickey just isn't watching closely enough. Get past the size, he's damn good defensively and offensively. Sure he can't move people but he rarely gets caught out of position and when he does, he can skate his way back. Carkner played well against NASH too, he's a very solid #7 guy, but he does scare me against fast forwards with his poor lateral movement. But when Alex Pietrangelo becomes an Islander, I'd be glad to sit both those guys.

And Clutterbuck is another one. Think Colin McDonald but a better skater. Don't expect anything more and you'll appreciate him for what he is. If he replaced Moulson and we watched Bailey-Tavares- Clutterbuck and Grabner-Nielsen-Okposo as the top six, at least 5on5, we'd have a better appreciation for what he brings. And give the guy some time.

This is a good Isles team. They deserve a break.
Hickey is a good player but he's not a top 4 Dman. The Vis/Hickey pairing has struggled so far these first 5 games. You can't have two smurfs playing together on the second pairing. Time to change it up.

lacunacoil777

Feb 11, 2013
Lets see , 9 lady byng candidates on the first 3 lines, Okiposo only gets angry once every 5 years, the only one of the 9 with even a slight temper is Tavares, and then you have the smallest, most polite set of defensemen in the NHL. You don't go decades without winning a playoff round by accident.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I think we were all just fooled by the late season surge to make the playoffs last year. This isn't a very good team top to bottom.

This team is still missing a #1 Dman, #1 goalie (though Nabokov has played well for the most part so far), a #2 center and at least 1 1st line winger.

Those are MAJOR areas of need, that have gone unaddressed for 5 years now. Sorry to say, but we'll be nothing more than a bubble team until we fix those holes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad