PHWA added Rod Langway award!

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I know my initial thought is adding another more-subjective trophy than the Norris--at least for the PHWA--is gonna be more controversial than adding an offensive trophy which would be easier to declare.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
Best defensive defenceman award...no that doesn't sound too idiotic.

This too will eventually go to one of the highest scoring d-men if the PHWA is voting.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Wait, that's an official award now? Don't like it IMO. Voters are just going to be even more inclined to vote for offense for the Norris now. An all-around D-man like Hedman for example is probably less likely to win now.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
For what it's worth, the same people who voted on this award also voted Hedman for Norris.

I tend to agree but we'll see how long they can keep it straight because right now their Norris votes are Hedman, Doughty, Klingberg while their Langway votes are Doughty, Chara, Hedman. It seems like they're treating it like the Selke--who is a high-profile high-enough scoring player with great D as opposed to strictly defensive D (not that those guys don't fit the profile per se). I.E. they're going to have a hard time creating TWO lists since the PHWA doesn't seem big on deeper analysis.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
This is the first time i've ever heard the name Rod Langway. Which is a bit ironic, because I doubt any player similar to Langway will ever win this award.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
there are too many trophies as it is

if I was god of the universe I'd only have the Ross, Hart, Smythe, Vezina, Norris, and Calder, and maybe the Bing since it's super-old and classy

the rest could vanish overnight and nothing of value would be lost

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
there are too many trophies as it is

if I was god of the universe I'd only have the Ross, Hart, Smythe, Vezina, Norris, and Calder, and maybe the Bing since it's super-old and classy

the rest could vanish overnight and nothing of value would be lost

The thing is, even goalies have two awards; d-men really needed one more.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Personally, I like it. The Norris is already skewed towards offensive production. A trophy that recognizes defensive play by a D is something that I welcome.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
When I saw the name of this award, I knew without looking it would reward the best defensive defenceman. Good add.

Now is it possible to win the Norris and Langway award. I sure hope so.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I pulled a signed Rod Langway caps jersey with COA in a mystery box, had to search him up as it was before my time. Having a hard time finding anyone willing to trade for it. Cool he is getting some recognition though.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I didn't know who Langway was, but holy cow, he was a defensive monster according to HRef's defensive point shares. 71.1 defensive point shares over his 15 year NHL career, that is absurd. Based on point shares, his career is about on par with Doughty's in terms of defensive ability, and that's with Langway playing for a bad Washington team for a lot of years.

If I had to guess, this would be an award based on stuff like blocked shots, hits, plus/minus and possession stats (may be giving the voters too much credit here), plus a lot of reputation voting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad