News Article: PHT: Sabres fans seem to be running out of patience

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I don't feel any worse for Jack than I do for most of the good nhlers they have. Larson, Girgensons and Reinhart have gotten their ass kicked for 5-7 years with no hope of the playoffs. Risto has been forced into way too much responsibility for half a decade that has been unfair. Okposo came here, a building team to help put them over the top and has only put his goddamn life on the line.

Jack is certainly the face, but the operation of the team for the last 3 years has been a slap in the face of each one of those guys.

I finally listened to the Duane call. There is not a thing in there that is hyperbolic or false. He feels. The way we all feel.

I waited for years as a kid not being able to afford or have thr free time to go to a lot of games.

I'm financially capable now and I just can't force myself to go more than once a year because it sucks so bad.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas

The plot thickens.

I can't wait until this Twitter watch list gets leaked.

Wait. "Reprimand"? I know about getting WGR to delete the tweet, but did someone actually get in trouble for it? I missed that if so

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
They have shown those signs before, with the threat of taking away the media access away earlier in his ownership. Only this time the fans are on same side of the line as the media and we are in agreement it's dirty. Before it was "well, yeah, they are a bunch of hacks, so it's understandable. Have you seen their work".

They've done more than show signs. They've ruthlessly influenced the coverage. I expect Harrington to be bought out or fired when the new ownership takes over TBN.
What really happened: The Buffalo News loses half their sports staff in the span of a month
“As I understand it, The News lost $250,000 worth of business with the Pegulas at one point. I heard it was Sabres programs. It came to my attention at the time,” says Sullivan, referencing Kim and Terry Pegula, the owners of the Bills and Sabres. “I recall one specific major staff meeting, not just sports but the whole department, one of the advertising people joked in front of the whole room about Sully costing us that money. I think there was a general understanding that it as negative sports writing that caused the Pegulas to pull that.”

“When there are only two teams in town, and they’ve already pulled accounts for negative sports writing; when there are only two columnists, whether it’s overt or otherwise, there’s at least a subliminal desire on the part of the people running the sports department to lighten the touch,” added Sullivan. “It’s a business. The biggest business is right across the street.”

That business being Pegula Sports and Entertainment, which sits across the intersection from The Buffalo News.

Reactions: TalkingProuder

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I don't feel any worse for Jack than I do for most of the good nhlers they have. Larson, Girgensons and Reinhart have gotten their ass kicked for 5-7 years with no hope of the playoffs. Risto has been forced into way too much responsibility for half a decade that has been unfair. Okposo came here, a building team to help put them over the top and has only put his goddamn life on the line.

Jack is certainly the face, but the operation of the team for the last 3 years has been a slap in the face of each one of those guys.

I finally listened to the Duane call. There is not a thing in there that is hyperbolic or false. He feels. The way we all feel.

I waited for years as a kid not being able to afford or have thr free time to go to a lot of games.

I'm financially capable now and I just can't force myself to go more than once a year because it sucks so bad.

One has to wonder what Terry and Kim do next. Ray Shero will be a GM again somewhere, Peter Chiarelli, Brian Burke or heaven forbid Pierre McGuire could be looked at.

It is borderline tragic with the Sabres situation today. On a per-capita basis, no city in the US watches hockey more than Buffalo.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
One has to wonder what Terry and Kim do next. Ray Shero will be a GM again somewhere, Peter Chiarelli, Brian Burke or heaven forbid Pierre McGuire could be looked at.

It is borderline tragic with the Sabres situation today. On a per-capita basis, no city in the US watches hockey more than Buffalo.

Quite honestly, today, based on how they are lashing out, the franchise, I doubt any of us think Botts is on the hot seat.

Now in a month if they continue to fall on their faces, it's possible that they do something.

But quite honestly I think most of us are resigned to Botts being in charge this off-season. Hopefully he gets lucky again and a random gm gives him a freebie like Skinner or Joker.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

Milbury or bust

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
...Soooo...
I'm thinking the Sabres will announce the Monday March 9th home game vs. the Capitals will be "Dooane Night". The first 1000 fans will receive Chinese knockoff jerseys with a misspelled name of various Sabre alumni. In the event of low attendance, any unclaimed jerseys will be donated to Roswell Park.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
...Soooo...
I'm thinking the Sabres will announce the Monday March 9th home game vs. the Capitals will be "Dooane Night". The first 1000 fans will receive Chinese knockoff jerseys with a misspelled name of various Sabre alumni. In the event of low attendance, any unclaimed jerseys will be donated to Roswell Park.
They're donating them to Western New York Center For The Visually Impaired.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
I wonder who the media savant was, who thought going full tyrant would be a wise strategy.
hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: debaser66

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012

I always cringe when I have to listen to that smug McGuire

I miss the times when there was no geo tagging & you could actually listen to WGR from anywhere.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Haha this thread & the whole situation is pure gold.
More entertaining than the actual on ice product.
At least the got everything in store for the 50th year anniversary ;)

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Milbury or bust

Could he do any worse?

Jack Eichel reminds me of Joe Thornton in his Boston years. Thornton was not ready to be a captain in Boston and it weighed heavily on him. Jacobs ordered him traded early in the 2005-06 season and upon landing in San Jose won the Hart AND Ross that season.

and as I type this Jack scores in OT

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Sabres ownership must have been thrilled when Harrington posted this video on the Buffalo News website

A few weeks ago when the Sabres were in Boston Harrington got comp seats from the Celtics and ripped Bruins ownership ( brave move for a Buffalo writer ) over the new seats debacle at TD Garden - something no media outlet in Boston has done in months

Improvements to North Station and TD Garden taking shape

I have many friends who have worked in print and they tell me Lee is not as bad as some of the other outlets buying dying papers but there is no denying they cut jobs at the St Louis Post Dispatch which they bought in 2007.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sabres ownership must have been thrilled when Harrington posted this video on the Buffalo News website

A few weeks ago when the Sabres were in Boston Harrington got comp seats from the Celtics and ripped Bruins ownership ( brave move for a Buffalo writer ) over the new seats debacle at TD Garden - something no media outlet in Boston has done in months

I have many friends who have worked in print and they tell me Lee is not as bad as some of the other outlets buying dying papers but there is no denying they cut jobs at the St Louis Post Dispatch which they bought in 2007.

John Vogl actually tweeted it out first.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I just heard the call in its entirety on WEEI in Boston

I feel bad for Jack ( if one can feel bad for a 23-year-old making 10 million a year ) as his body language says it all.

Jack is Duane. We are all Duane.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Could he do any worse?

Jack Eichel reminds me of Joe Thornton in his Boston years. Thornton was not ready to be a captain in Boston and it weighed heavily on him. Jacobs ordered him traded early in the 2005-06 season and upon landing in San Jose won the Hart AND Ross that season.

and as I type this Jack scores in OT

Eichel had grown beautifully into the captain's role. It's most of the rest of the roster that's not ready (or really, able) to do what they need to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad