Photo Challenge: Identify the Ranger (late 90's/early 00's)

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Calling all TRUE Ranger buffs...

Was messing around with my tweaked version of NHL 2002 today trying to figure out who a lot of the "hidden" players are in the game.

Came across this one, which has me stumped:
o5q828.jpg

Here's the lowdown:
-the player is stored in a part of the game database where real players are stored, so it is highly unlikely that it's a developer.
-the game has rosters from the 2001 offseason (after 2000-01 and before 2001-02), however this player is hidden from view in the game and therefore likely from at least 1 year earlier. Also means it's not associated with a name, it's just a photo.
-while some photographs are from 2000-01, the majority are from 1999-00, and a small handful are from 1998-99...that gives you an approximate timeframe for this photo
-i've reviewed some Ranger rosters from this time to refresh my memory, right on down to the JF Labbe's, Chris Kenady's, and Rich Brennan's and it doesn't appear to be any of them.
-The only player I haven't been able to rule out is Bob Errey, but he's from 1997-98, which doesn't explain why his photo would still be in the game, but I don't recall his appearance being the same and a quick Google is inconclusive.
-It's also possible the player is a Ranger prospect that never played in a game, but was on the roster or featured prominently in 2000 or 1999 training camp at that time...however I've ruled out most of the notable prospects from memory also.

Any help would be appreciated, as right now this one's got me stumped.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The Rangers switched to having the string ties on their white jerseys for the 99-00 season and when they did, the collar became a solid red. In that picture the collar has a white stripe, so it has to be from before then.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I mean, it could be a former Ranger but, frankly it looks as if it could just as easily be an actor/model used for a stock picture.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
It really does look like Berard. I'm wondering if maybe they shopped his jersey. 01-02 was the year he played for the Rangers.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
It looks similar to Berard, but I don't think it is.

The mouth is too small, the nose is different, the ears are different, chin and jaw line... if you were to compare pics.

ex:

berard_bryan640_640.jpg

Bryan_Berard.jpg

BryanBerard.jpg

So I vote no on Berard.

GoingBackToCally

Jun 24, 2012
Are we supposed to feel bad for Berard because of his eye injury, or because he played for both the islanders and blue jackets?

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Could very well be a Rangers' prospect/training camp invitee that never played in the NHL so couldn't be officially included in the game. I do not recognize that face. I know for sure that it's not Bob Errey.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
I received a rather interesting possible response elsewhere from someone about this and wanted to submit to the community for discussion.

Kevin Brown.

Obviously he never played for the Rangers (at least not in the regular season), and I have NO idea what he looks like...I remember him mostly as a Kings prospect in the mid to late 90s but after it was mentioned a quick hockey reference search turns up that he was in fact traded to the Rangers around the time this photo could have been taken.

Google seems to mostly give pictures of the former MLB pitcher. Thoughts?

b0mBa

Nov 20, 2005
Staten Island, NY
I can't post the pic from my phone but a google images search for "Kevin brown NHL" shows a few pictures of him in a kings jersey....I can't tell for sure but I think the mystery picture is of Kevin brown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad