Phoenix XXXVIII: Hulsizer Pulls Bid For Coyotes; UPD 2 unnamed interested buyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I am, however, confident that Jeremy Roenick thinks Jeremy Roenick is in the picture.

.... you mean unlike Truman Burbank who is unaware he's on the air Jeremy's unaware he's off the air?. :huh:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Phoenix Coyotes defend bypassing local firms for ad work

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2011/08/15/phoenix-coyotes-defend-bypassing-local.html

In a time where the Coyotes need all the local support they can get, I'm not sure if hiring people from outside the community sends the proper message. Support is a two way street IMO. You want local firms to support you, then you should support the local firms. In a city the size of Phoenix, there must be someone who can do the job.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Phoenix Coyotes defend bypassing local firms for ad work. In a city the size of Phoenix, there must be someone who can do the job.

Of course there would be & is, however, thats not always a consideration when awarding advertising, promotional & public relations contracts. What is more surprising to me is that the NHL has hired anyone at all as to date theyve' done absolutely nothing to promote the team and or the building itself beyond the normal media relations.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
I am cautious to "report" information locally that one of the interested ownership groups is said to be presenting an offer to the NHL tomorrow. This really makes more sense if the offer is for terms that do not include $170M+ in cash up front. If things go in a manner favorable to the team staying in Phoenix, I suppose the buyer will reach some sort of deal with the NHL on pricing and terms, and then go to the CoG to hammer out a lease with terms favorable to the team to help off-set loses ala what MH was looking for.

Not sure where the GWI would be on any of this. Right now, they are content to fight the records case. Many hurdles to cross at this point, which remains speculation at best. Just thought I would pass along what I have heard from "unofficial" sources and the twitter world. Take it for what it is worth.:sarcasm:

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
Is today the day? I was expecting the big reveal as announced on Phoenix radio. I Guess there is plenty of time until the clock strikes midnight.

Dont worry if it wasn't announced yesterday, I bet it's still imminent. Like, it'll be a done deal in about two weeks maximum. :help:

Fidel Astro

Aug 26, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
www.witchpolice.com
What is more surprising to me is that the NHL has hired anyone at all as to date theyve' done absolutely nothing to promote the team and or the building itself beyond the normal media relations.

Why should they have to go above and beyond the normal media relations, though?

This whole saga has been extensively reported on in all forms of media all over North America. People in Phoenix must be aware that they a) have a team and that b) the team is in real danger of leaving.

I just don't see what a big, splashy ad campaign is going to do that years of "this team is seriously on the brink of being relocated" reports haven't. I hate to bring this up again, because I know it has been discussed ad nauseam, but if the Coyotes need some over-the-top promotion to remind people to show up to games, maybe it just isn't a hockey town after all, and the NHL should just let it go.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona

This whole saga has been extensively reported on in all forms of media all over North America. People in Phoenix must be aware that they a) have a team and that b) the team is in real danger of leaving.

I just don't see what a big, splashy ad campaign is going to do that years of "this team is seriously on the brink of being relocated" reports haven't. I hate to bring this up again, because I know it has been discussed ad nauseam, but if the Coyotes need some over-the-top promotion to remind people to show up to games, maybe it just isn't a hockey town after all, and the NHL should just let it go.

I see your point of view. I think if the goal is to move forward in a non-traditional market, there needs to be some repair of the Coyote brand and maybe even the NHL brand by association. People can decide for themselves whether Phoenix is a market deserving of an NHL team. Reasonable minds can differ on that. However, a big, splashy ad campaign could have a measure of influence on rehabilitating the Coyote brand to past, present and potentially future fans.

Having said that, ticket sales are up this year (no place else to go I suspect from where they have been in recent memory), and I do think there is a core of fans that want to invest in this team and ensure that it remains in Phoenix.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I'm pretty sure there's only one channel in Jeremy's World.:laugh:

in a....
Room full of Mirrors
The Pretenders

....ad campaign could have a measure of influence on rehabilitating the Coyote brand to past, present and potentially future fans.

As I said earlier goyotes, I find it curious that the NHL, as interim owners, would now be bothering with an expenditure on advertising & PR at this juncture. Why do so if in fact there are interested parties about to make offers; why bother if there are not and the teams' going to be sold & moved next spring?. :dunno:

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada

Would an over the top add campaign and still no butts in the seats aid the NHL in relocating the team? Gary could stand at the podium and then say that not only had they exhausted all ownership avenues but even with intense marketing there simply wasn't enough of a desire for NHL hockey in Arizona.

The three criteria for an NHL team are 1. Market 2.Willing Owner and 3.building. If after the marketing there is still only a mildly interested fan base, the Coyotes would only fulfill having a building and the NHL could move on having exhausted all avenues.

Or the ad campaign could simply be an attempt to mitigate losses by getting butts in the seats.

So many possibilities.

I can't wait for the new ownership candidates to be revealed. Would there be any chance that Jim Treliving would delve into this?

Treliving is also chairman of the board for Global Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Central Hockey League, amongst other properties

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Treliving

The CHL is administered by a wholly-owned subsidiary of Global Entertainment Corporation (Global Stock Symbol: GNTP), a company engaged in sports management, multi-purpose events and entertainment center and related real estate development, and venue ticketing. For more information about Global Entertainment visit www.globalentertainment2000.com.

Arguably the most significant change over the past 19 years came in May of 2001, as the Central and Western Professional Hockey Leagues joined forces at a press conference in Oklahoma that combined the top markets within both organizations under the CHL banner.

http://www.centralhockeyleague.com/thechl/about/

Son Brad is the assistant GM of the Coyotes and Global Entertainment is based in Tempe. Seems more plausible than Kevin Bacon' s involvement.:shakehead

He even has a profile on the forbes site.
http://people.forbes.com/profile/w-james-treliving/37267

Just throwing it out there.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
As I said earlier goyotes, I find it curious that the NHL, as interim owners, would now be bothering with an expenditure on advertising & PR at this juncture. Why do so if in fact there are interested parties about to make offers; why bother if there are not and the teams' going to be sold & moved next spring?. :dunno:

I also find this strange, at this time. I can fully see and understand the need for extensive PR after the team has been sold... along the lines of " Come watch the Coyotes... We aren't goin' anywhere ", But as its been said... If you are a hockey fan in Phoenix you sure as shootin' know whats been going on and you have already decided to spend your money or not, but until there is a solution ( sale ) spending money on PR isn't going to get the casual fan to come out.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
in a....
Room full of Mirrors
The Pretenders

Because the NHL's agreement with the City of Glendale covers only the first $25 million in losses? It would make sense for the NHL to try to generate more revenue if it will help them avoid some operating losses, assuming they don't sell the team before the season is done.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I've heard that as well personally from three different sources, two of whom would be in the know. Whether JR is simply hanging around or is knee deep in it again, don't know that. But he is around.

Who knows what that means, and I'm too indifferent now to even speculate. Wake me when there is something official.

And that's coming from a Coyotes' supporter. I am trying to force myself to hang around out of some sense of "loyalty" to this discussion, but it is awfully hard to maintain interest given the way the saga has played out over these interminable months. Gone are the halcyon days when the topic was hot and we would all start thinking about names for the next thread about now.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
And that's coming from a Coyotes' supporter. I am trying to force myself to hang around out of some sense of "loyalty" to this discussion, but it is awfully hard to maintain interest given the way the saga has played out over these interminable months. Gone are the halcyon days when the topic was hot and we would all start thinking about names for the next thread about now.

Two Weeks
Imminent

These two terms are ones after being on these boards I have never thought of the same way again. When I'm talking to someone about a future event, and they say "oh, two weeks" I bust out laughing, and they haven't followed this at all, I have to say "its a long story"

I come by and keep an eye out but this really has gone on so long-the magic is gone now....:cry:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Yah, but this is sure a bloody long trip, ain't it?

Dante's Inferno
consists of 9 Circles of Hell; others claim there are 18 Levels; the 14th is ominously called "The Hall of Quitters". As Churchill suggests, best not linger. Im sure we'll find our way back to the vestibule, the heavy brass revolving doors and an out soon enough. Meanwhile, just relax, enjoy the music..... Next up we have the Omen ave Santini in Latin delivered in Gregorian Chant, followed by Mozarts Requiem for the Masses played by none other than the Abominable Dr. Phibes on a 500 pipe Wurlitzer....... Stick around. You dont wanna miss that do you?.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Yawn.

Check back in two weeks? Months? Years?

Who wants to get worked up about hockey in Glendale in August anyway. Maybe they just have better things to do.

If they're trying to keep a low profile, they're doing a very good job!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad