Phoenix XXVIII: Lawyers, Bonds and Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Well, why don't they just do it. If they have buyers, sell. What is there to move ahead? Sign and they're yours, it takes a minute. Any longer than that, it obviously isn't a slam dunk. We've heard they will be sold, for months now. Why keep repeating they will be sold? Sell them.

Unless... this is a ploy by the NHL to panic TNSE and squeeze more money from them. Everytime I bought a house, the agent always told me another buyer was about to close, so I had to make my best offer quickly. Fell for it every time....

SabFanInOtt

Mar 19, 2006
Canada's Capital
Hello all, as a long time lurker to all these entertaining Roman Numeral threads I was inspired by the title of this one to post this:

Goldwater couldn't be persuaded
When they pleaded with their leaders
don't sue that city man

Now, back to the never ending story...

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
Well, if he's talking to Pierre LeBrun, and or his sources, there's nothing really new here.

There goes the word "hope", again. Yikes.

I hope this all ends soon. it's amazing how the news can go from positive to negative back and forth. if the bonds are going to sell though you would think it will be soon.

Antidote

Jun 8, 2007
Victoria, BC
Unless... this is a ploy by the NHL to panic TNSE and squeeze more money from them. Everytime I bought a house, the agent always told me another buyer was about to close, so I had to make my best offer quickly. Fell for it every time....

I don't think the TNSE principals got rich by falling off a turnip truck. Good luck to the NHL if this is actually a strategy.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
It's possible they are/were 100% confident and have sound legal opinions on the compliance with the gift clause, but there is something else, either with the current deal or in their past that they are hiding that would come out in litigation or with more public disclosure. So they tried to negotiate with GWI while resisting release of documents and full disclosure on the details of the deal.

Its possible LC, and if thats the case (speculation alert) and as Dado suggests they ( doubt its the elected; more likely city officials) are being ill served. It also (Whileee first raised this eons ago) goes a far way in explaining why they've fought the release of documentation so strenuously, beyond the normal rights of non-disclosure when sensitive negotiations are on-going. All that being said, it for sure should be classified in the Conspiracy Files, and it is "out there" to be sure.... :squint:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Well, why don't they just do it. If they have buyers, sell. What is there to move ahead? Sign and they're yours, it takes a minute. Any longer than that, it obviously isn't a slam dunk. We've heard they will be sold, for months now. Why keep repeating they will be sold? Sell them.

QFT. Just seems to be the same stories over and over.

Bonds are selling
GWI threatens suit
Bond sale snagged
CoG, NHL, Hulsizer chastize GWI
Same above say bonds are selling
GWI reiterates or intensifies lawsuit threat
Bond sale snagged

and on and on and on and on. I'm not much for conspiracy theories, but do you just think the NHL is stringing the CoG along till the end of the Coyotes season to minimize losses?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

When you buy a place, let the agent typeout the offer, all neat and ready to present. Then tell the agent you are increasing the offer buy 2,000, you then initial all the changes. Now you tell the agent "that's the final offer, tell the sellers you did all the negotiating for them". Worked twice for me, never got a sign back.

Oh the 2 grand extra, wasn't really extra, just subtract the 2,000 from the 1st offer you plan to present.

wpgJetsfan

Dec 24, 2010

Bonds are selling
GWI threatens suit
Bond sale snagged
Bond sale snagged

and on and on and on and on. I'm not much for conspiracy theories, but do you just think the NHL is stringing the CoG along till the end of the Coyotes season to minimize losses?

I was going to point out the EXACT same thing. It's the same catch phrases or buzz words being used by the media to spin things for the past several months.

I believe when the Mayor held the Press Conference with Time Has Run out, TIME REALLY DID RUN OUT.

I think it's all about the NHL mitigating damages for the rest of the season. I mean heck they are 40 million down and so why not keep giving hope so it doesn't add up to 50-60 million.

If the Bonds were progressing or moving forward, why haven't they been sold yet? It's because they have no one to buy the bonds because of the economy, etc.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Jesus. Multiple sources say the bonds are in the process of being sold or will be sold very soon yet people claim 'time has run out.' Get your **** straight.

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
I was going to point out the EXACT same thing. It's the same catch phrases or buzz words being used by the media to spin things for the past several months.

I believe when the Mayor held the Press Conference with Time Has Run out, TIME REALLY DID RUN OUT.

I think it's all about the NHL mitigating damages for the rest of the season. I mean heck they are 40 million down and so why not keep giving hope so it doesn't add up to 50-60 million.

If the Bonds were progressing or moving forward, why haven't they been sold yet? It's because they have no one to buy the bonds because of the economy, etc.

The longer the claims that the bond sales are progressing the more doubt there is that it is true. It will be hard for the NHL to beep spinning this in another week or so.

wpgJetsfan

Dec 24, 2010
Jesus. Multiple sources say the bonds are in the process of being sold or will be sold very soon yet people claim 'time has run out.' Get your **** straight.

I can post many media reports that have been saying Multiple sources saying bonds are in the process of being sold or will be sold soon and yet it's been going on Since Janurary. We are now in March and nothing has changed.

I'm sure this spin is very fustrating for both sides.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

Bonds are selling
GWI threatens suit
Bond sale snagged
Bond sale snagged

Yes it's the way I see it. Or maybe both parties see an advantage in being the defendant in a lawsuit, rather than the one bringing the suit.

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
I can post many media reports that have been saying Multiple sources saying bonds are in the process of being sold or will be sold soon and yet it's been going on Since Janurary. We are now in March and nothing has changed.

I'm sure this spin is very fustrating for both sides.

When did the bonds officially go on sale? It was after January was it not?

Coach

Dec 18, 2010

Multiple sources have been telling us the bonds are in the process of being sold since the middle of December and nothing has happened. Now you can't understand why we now just don't accept the rumours as fact.

RAgIn

Oct 21, 2010
Sudbury, Ont
Goldwater Institute claims in doubt

Jude La Cava-Fox Channel 10 Executive Sports Director- told Bob Irving on the CJOB Sports Show Wednesday night - Hulsizer and the City of Glendale could counter sue because two legal firms say the proposed sale would not violate the constitution..

Very similar to last night's information. 2 law firms? I thought it was 3? La Cava: Yes or no within 3-4 days. If not, one week. Kinda broad timeline.

Listen in:

http://www.cjob.com/Sports/Local/Story.aspx?ID=1386427

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Burnside's "sources" are the COG.

Those same "sources" were the same ones to inform him that COG might file a lawsuit against GWI.

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
Just total speculation here but... Maybe the "bonds inching closer" rumour is accurate because Glendale is negotiating with a potential buyer to get the interest rate to the point where the city can sell without going back to council. Didn't council okay staff to go up to 9% on a bond issue? Guessing that they're well above that right now and trying to find someone to invest at that maximum interest rate.

I really think something is going on behind the scenes with council and the bond rate. Probably somebody has flipped his/her position because of the extra cash due to the higher rate, so Scruggs is massaging things behind the scenes. So the whole "getting closer" part involves talks to get the interest down to the point where this doesn't have to go back to council.

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
Burnside's "sources" are the COG.

Those same "sources" were the same ones to inform him that COG might file a lawsuit against GWI.

It's really incredible how much the mainstream media with any sort of NHL ties is in the back pocket of the league. All the TSN and ESPN reports might as well have been written by the Count or Uncle Fester. You can't believe any of it. Pure spin.

billy blaze

May 31, 2009
Was this posted earlier? If not, here goes:

Nothing really new here, but you can circle April 8 (last home game) and or April 9 (last reg. season game) on your calendars. If they are indeed relocating though, wouldn't be nice for the NHL to proclaim that fact soon, so fans and the team can have a little send off? Most teams of done this before, in history. IMO.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2011/03/16/coyotes-deal-could-be-delayed-until.html

this would be fitting as the deal with Hulsizer was announced the day before the first regular season home game;)

borno87

Dec 16, 2010
Very similar to last night's information. 2 law firms? I thought it was 3? La Cava: Yes or no within 3-4 days. If not, one week. Kinda broad timeline.

Listen in:

http://www.cjob.com/Sports/Local/Story.aspx?ID=1386427

Since when does paying two law firms to evaluate a transaction by a municipality = a declratory relief from a judge in court?

For one thing, no one really knows to what extent those firms were vetted by CoG. Its entirely possible CoG withheld some of the documentation that GWI seemed so interested in when they commissioned the firms to evaluate the deal.

And is the lead sports executive at Fox 10 suddenly some legal expert?

Gonna need a boulder of salt for this one... Getting very tired of these ridiculous reports

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Just total speculation here but... Maybe the "bonds inching closer" rumour is accurate because Glendale is negotiating with a potential buyer to get the interest rate to the point where the city can sell without going back to council. Didn't council okay staff to go up to 9% on a bond issue? Guessing that they're well above that right now and trying to find someone to invest at that maximum interest rate.

I really think something is going on behind the scenes with council and the bond rate. Probably somebody has flipped his/her position because of the extra cash due to the higher rate, so Scruggs is massaging things behind the scenes. So the whole "getting closer" part involves talks to get the interest down to the point where this doesn't have to go back to council.

Agreed, the reason the council hasn't voted to allow interest rates above 9% is because they already know it would be voted down.

I'm starting to think the council is strongly divided behind the scenes. Scruggs and maybe one or two of the councilors (it would have to be a minority) are up against the majority of councilors who are against increased interest rates (and maybe against the deal altogether). You could start to see some of the bickering at the end of the last broadcast council meeting.

You know things are bad when Phil Lieberman is actively calling and informing GWI.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad