Phoenix XXII: It's Now or Never

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Who exactly are the 'Tea Party Patriots of Glendale'? This is the first time I've heard of them during this saga.

Ya, and I guess it was just a matter of time before this got politicized. The Council's had pretty much a FreeRide in that dept., with little but empty rhetoric from Lieberman & the other dissenting members. Regardless of ones opinion of the Tea Partiers, it'd be very foolish to underestimate the power of the movement, particularly in Arizona which is already a hard right state to begin with. Carrie Ann Sitren "making presentations" to them at this evenings meeting could well be the trip wire that sets' off a formal charge & challenge.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
So where exactly does this excise tax revenue come from?

Assuming that these are MPC Excise Tax Revenue Bonds (similar to the Arena bonds) - and I believe they are - they are backed by a lein on "Unrestricted Excise Taxes" which includes all excise, transaction privilege, franchise, and income taxes collected by the city and CoG's share of state personal & business income taxes and sales taxes distributed by the State to municipalities.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
So where exactly does this excise tax revenue come from?

Theoretically, this particular "excise tax" is supposed to come from the CFD that they intend to set-up with Ellman & the businesses in and around Westgate to offset any shortfalls' in parking/advertising/naming rights.

Fugu

http://www.superfans.ca/content/view/378/

From CJOB's Greg Mackling

It is my understanding (from sources close to the NHL BoG), that the group led by Chicago businessman, Matthew Hulsizer, and the afore mentioned City of Glendale, AZ, have until March 1st, 2011 to finalize the purchase agreement which has been an agreement in principle since December 14th, 2010.

One week!!!!! :pickle:

Progress, no longer two weeks but one!

gollybass

May 28, 2010
Yeah, I hadn't seen that post until I submitted my own. Tea Party now? Are they like super right wing Republicans? Maybe someone can elaborate.

yup crazy right wings nutcases, seems odd to me this would be to raise a lawsuit, after all the GWI only needs a citizen to intervene.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Yeah, I hadn't seen that post until I submitted my own. Tea Party now? Are they like super right wing Republicans? Maybe someone can elaborate.

The GIST of the Tea Party is fiscal responsibility (of course there's the wide range) but yea, they talk about being against needless spending, financial accountability, ect.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ya, and I guess it was just a matter of time before this got politicized. The Council's had pretty much a FreeRide in that dept., with little but empty rhetoric from Lieberman & the other dissenting members. Regardless of ones opinion of the Tea Partiers, it'd be very foolish to underestimate the power of the movement, particularly in Arizona which is already a hard right state to begin with. Carrie Ann Sitren "making presentations" to them at this evenings meeting could well be the trip wire that sets' off a formal charge & challenge.

Yes, I see the ominous signs of the GWI setting up the PR strategy to justify going after this deal. Some have suggested that the GWI won't challenge the deal because they will look like the "bad guys", in which case some strong and public opposition to the deal would help them in public relations. If opposition to the deal gains steam, as I think it might, then the GWI might see this as the impetus to challenge.

I would note that the GWI has been very much on the ball with the PR on this. They have put forward cogent public releases at key times, and have been quick to counter the PR salvos from the City of Glendale.

I have noted previously that I think the political dimension of this deal would emerge if the deal didn't close soon, and this might be the first signs of that.

RAgIn

Oct 21, 2010
Sudbury, Ont
yup crazy right wings nutcases, seems odd to me this would be to raise a lawsuit, after all the GWI only needs a citizen to intervene.

But it's better to have a group of nutcases than just one citizen. Right? I wonder if they'll let the Democrats inside the building!? :handclap:

This might be the political punch GWI was seeking. Not good for the free spending COG though.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Yeah, I hadn't seen that post until I submitted my own. Tea Party now? Are they like super right wing republicans? Maybe someone can elaborate.

Probably best if someone from Arizona answers that one. They vary a bit from state-state in terms' of activism/import within the farther right reaches of the Republican Party if not complete independence from them. Az does indeed have a significant membership, one that is very well organized & vocal in comparison to many other states. I really have to wonder how Barry Goldwater himself might feel about "his" institute aligning itself with & or pandering to what can be & often is construed as being the radicalization of right wing ideogues', the Republican Party & government itself, from municipal to federal levels; and indeed the heirs to his estate did in fact threaten to withdraw the Goldwater name from the Institute for its stridently right wing'ish approach to things.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
But it's better to have a group of nutcases than just one citizen. I wonder if they'll let the Democrats inside the building!? Lol

This might be the political punch GWI was seeking. Not good for the free spending COG.

I think this is about public profile. The deal has been going very much under the radar, but the Tea Party seem to be effective at raising public awareness and mobilizing support for their causes. It is perhaps relevant to note that in the only survey on the topic, the large majority of Glendale citizens opposed any public funding to support the retention of the Coyotes.

This might be a tempest in a teapot :)naughty:), but it could also be exactly what the COG and city council have wanted to avoid.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
http://www.superfans.ca/content/view/378/

From CJOB's Greg Mackling

It is my understanding (from sources close to the NHL BoG), that the group led by Chicago businessman, Matthew Hulsizer, and the afore mentioned City of Glendale, AZ, have until March 1st, 2011 to finalize the purchase agreement which has been an agreement in principle since December 14th, 2010.

past experience has shown that CJOB has had little inside information in winnipeg, nevermind phoenix...their reporting has been nothing more than regurgitating the coyotes saved / coyotes not saved headlines off the newswire...now they occasionally add thrashers saved/thrashers not saved just for a change of pace.

i wouldnt take anything reported there with any credibility....they are generally a month behind even the public information.

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door
past experience has shown that CJOB has had little inside information in winnipeg, nevermind phoenix...their reporting has been nothing more than regurgitating the coyotes saved / coyotes not saved headlines off the newswire...now they occasionally add thrashers saved/thrashers not saved just for a change of pace.

i wouldnt take anything reported there with any credibility....they are generally a month behind even the public information.
So perhaps it was a typo then and should read May 1st and not March 1st.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Assuming that these are MPC Excise Tax Revenue Bonds (similar to the Arena bonds) - and I believe they are - they are backed by a lein on "Unrestricted Excise Taxes" which includes all excise, transaction privilege, franchise, and income taxes collected by the city and CoG's share of state personal & business income taxes and sales taxes distributed by the State to municipalities.

I was under the impression that any shortfalls' visa-vie parking/adv rev's would be covered through the Ellman/Westgate/CFD to be instituted, a separate account of excise taxes set aside for that purpose; backed of course by UET's should even that fail no?....

It could also be exactly what the COG and city council have wanted to avoid.

You still think their trying to make tea in a chocolate teapot Whileee?. :sarcasm:

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
Who exactly are the 'Tea Party Patriots of Glendale'? This is the first time I've heard of them during this saga.

They are the local Glendale chapter of a very very large thorn in the side of anything Democrat. This is very bad.

One week!!!!! :pickle:

Progress, no longer two weeks but one!

I wouldn't put much stock in this report. Mackling is not reputable enough to convince me and I listen to this station regularly.

Bob Irving has an impeccible record and does break news. Gary Lawless may be a bit of a blow-hard but I associate him with the Winnipeg Free Press. Given its Radio Idol winner mackling breaking the story, I would guess it has holes.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Either way and not knowing the CJOB reporters creds... I would say the CoG is approaching the peak of the mountain, and will shortly be seeing if they are going to be lucky enough to slide down on thier slip-and-slide laughing all the way or they are going to get pushed off by the GWI.

Something is going to happen one way or another real soon IMO. ( Meaning less than 2 weeks :laugh: )

Last edited:

NHLfan4life

Who is PKP???
Nov 22, 2010
Glendale
Probably best if someone from Arizona answers that one. They vary a bit from state-state in terms' of activism/import within the farther right reaches of the Republican Party if not complete independence from them. Az does indeed have a significant membership, one that is very well organized & vocal in comparison to many other states. I really have to wonder how Barry Goldwater himself might feel about "his" institute aligning itself with & or pandering to what can be & often is construed as being the radicalization of right wing ideogues', the Republican Party & government itself, from municipal to federal levels; and indeed the heirs to his estate did in fact threaten to withdraw the Goldwater name from the Institute for its stridently right wing'ish approach to things.

The real reason behind the Tea Party is not to police the spending of the State, they are just watching to make sure Democrats do as they say then when they don't, they whine and cry. Nobody takes them seriously because they've been infiltrated by crazies and people with an obvious Conservative agenda politically. I doubt they would even care about the Coyotes situation much at all. They have no punch at all but it does show how desperate some of you are getting in finding someone to make a fuss. This deal is rolling along quite nicely now and is really gaining favor of my fellow residents in Glendale from my experience. I was wearing my Coyotes jersey on Friday (Hockey Day USA) and an old lady stopped me in the grocery store asking me questions. Long story short, she gave me the thumbs up. If it's reaching the geriatric population, then that could be a good thing.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
But it's better to have a group of nutcases than just one citizen. Right? I wonder if they'll let the Democrats inside the building!? :handclap:

This might be the political punch GWI was seeking. Not good for the free spending COG though.

Nor any Republicans that aren't sufficiently conservative.

And it's hard to imagine this group sitting patiently through an explanation of the nuances of the MUDA and monetizing parking rights. They tend to look rather dimly on the idea of "bail outs", even if it is argued that it is beneficial in the long term.

On the other hand, this Coyotes deal might be just the remedy to reduce the size of municipal government in Glendale. :naughty:

borno87

Dec 16, 2010
I was wearing my Coyotes jersey on Friday (Hockey Day USA) and an old lady stopped me in the grocery store asking me questions. Long story short, she gave me the thumbs up. If it's reaching the geriatric population, then that could be a good thing.

YA!

All you cynics can go home now, clearly the senility of a grocery store patron is the true indicator of support for the Coyotes in Arizona and supersedes all other opinions or facts shared on this board (like attendance or the past 3 years).

Did you catch her name? Perhaps her and Logan can combine to battle the Tea Partyers and GWI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia