Phoenix LXVII; Route66 - Aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.

SchultzSquared*

Maybe one day you could consider what we go through, we would love to have a season where we could just talk about hockey with out the lingering ownership issue in the back of our minds.

Starts with your citizens not anyone on HFBoards. You wouldn't have this problem if there really were more than a few hardcore fans. If glendale and Bettman weren't willing to flush bags of money down the toilet for corporate welfare these Coyotes would have been put down a long time ago.

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
Starts with your citizens not anyone on HFBoards. You wouldn't have this problem if there really were more than a few hardcore fans. If glendale and Bettman weren't willing to flush bags of money down the toilet for corporate welfare these Coyotes would have been put down a long time ago.

:shakehead Uh-Oh. Not a good idea. Glendale depleted their sewer fund financing the Coyotes. If the money causes a major blockage, they may not have the funds do fix it. Are bills biodegradable? Or did they flush all coins down the toilet, like an odd variant of the slot machine (push the flush lever instead of pulling the lever, watch the coins go round and round instead of the reels)? Or maybe this is how they got rid of all those extra Sacagawea dollar coins? What does flushing $50 million down the toilet look like?

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
Very true, but with winning the Pacific Division title, there being no hockey the past 3 and a half months and with a few posting here how the market / fans only need an owner to make the franchise a success, you'd think fans would show up in greater numbers to show that new owner that the support is there including for practices.

Like the fans did in Winnipeg:

THE Jets were pleased to be back in front of their fans, officially, for the first time since the lockout ended, with Sunday's open practice. About 5,000 showed up on short notice at the MTS Centre. "It was fantastic," said Blake Wheeler, the team's leading scorer in 2011-12. "We all know how privileged we are to play in a market like this. To have that kind of reception... that might be some team's home game's (attendance) in the early going. It was awesome. It was great to be back and to have meaningful practices again with a direction. I've kind of had that for a little bit, but for a lot of guys this was their first real meaningful practice in a long time. It was great to be out there as a group again to start the process."

Source: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/so-with-further-fan-fare-186738821.html

Makes one wonder how the Coyote players view the support.

5,000 people to watch a hockey practice on a cold Sunday in January compared to a Monday morning workout? Really?

Lyotes

Aug 8, 2012
Arizona
Yeah? Except you've had 12 seasons like that. The team has been in Arizona for 15 going on 16 years... When is it enough? What is your excuse for the other 12 years and never turning a profit?

Ohh and this is my 500th post, you should feel privileged.

Congratulations, every market is cyclical. Now that we've made the play offs the past couple of years things are getting better. We have close to 2000 new season ticket holders for this year, and who knows if the team continues to do well then they will get more. Arizona is a tough market for any team. Most of our residents have come from a big market or are snow birds and they follow their team. ie when we play Chicago or Detroit the games are sold out. You have to have a winning product to convert those fans to our team. Right now, the phx Suns are doing terrible. They just offered a promo where they gave you your money back if you weren't satisfied. The Arizona diamondbacks did terrible, they were offering $5 tickets. This is a hard market.
These are all excuses and i know you hear them all the time, but Arizona has the worst fan base. Go to a cardinals game if you have a chance. Its at best 50% for the cardinals in the stands.
In Arizona, if you win they will come. That applies to all our major league sports. But the market is growing, the local media is covering the coyotes more then they ever have. I haven't seen the news cover the start of training camp ever, they did this year. It wasn't until last seasons long run in the play offs that they've gotten any attention. Things are turning around, i dont know it could be a little to late, or it could be the start of an amazing fan base.
I just hope you guys understand that there is a fan base, and we are committed. Its not in our blood, we don't learn to skate before we can walk. It's something that we've had to learn.

NHLfan4life

Who is PKP???
Nov 22, 2010
Glendale
Yeah? Except you've had 12 seasons like that. The team has been in Arizona for 15 going on 16 years... When is it enough? What is your excuse for the other 12 years and never turning a profit?

Ohh and this is my 500th post, you should feel privileged.

You only have to go back those 16 years to recognize the glass house you live in :)

:) :nod:

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
THE Jets were pleased to be back in front of their fans, officially, for the first time since the lockout ended, with Sunday's open practice. About 5,000 showed up on short notice at the MTS Centre. "It was fantastic," said Blake Wheeler, the team's leading scorer in 2011-12. "We all know how privileged we are to play in a market like this. To have that kind of reception... that might be some team's home game's (attendance) in the early going. It was awesome. It was great to be back and to have meaningful practices again with a direction. I've kind of had that for a little bit, but for a lot of guys this was their first real meaningful practice in a long time. It was great to be out there as a group again to start the process."

Source: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/so-with-further-fan-fare-186738821.html

Makes one wonder how the Coyote players view the support.

Hmmm. In a city of 750,000 rabid hockey fans, only 5000 came? On a Sunday in which it is all but illegal to have to work?

Or maybe an inter squad scrimmage isn't all that captivating regardless of the locale.

The anti-yotes rhetoric is extremely tiring. It would be grand if we could peer into some of the people's meaningless little lives that post here. It would be great to mock and ridicule all of the things that they hold value to.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Hmmm. In a city of 750,000 rabid hockey fans, only 5000 came? On a Sunday in which it is all but illegal to have to work?

Or maybe an inter squad scrimmage isn't all that captivating regardless of the locale.

The anti-yotes rhetoric is extremely tiring. It would be grand if we could peer into some of the people's meaningless little lives that post here. It would be great to mock and ridicule all of the things that they hold value to.

It wasn't an inter squad scrimmage, they just ran drills. An inter squad scrimmage and they would probably have drawn 10K (or more):D

PS
dollar hotdogs and pop would have enticed more to come out on such short notice.:D

PSS
Sounds like some of the Canadians who enjoy cheap hockey in the desert are getting anxious.:sarcasm:

Last edited:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Oh really TL, so while we are all listening please tell us why you believe GJ is a more deserving owner than MH, who unlike Gramps actually DID put up real money and actually showed some real interest in the area and the team. GJ has done absolutely NOTHING other than say that he and GB are tight and that he will get this done shortly! If you really believe this nonsense you are completely naive about the real world of GB and his little puppets!

Deflecting....... yet again.

Your latest in a long long series of opines that Jamison has no money in escrow is based upon the notion that he's never said so.

Hulsizer claimed he had a good faith deposit down. I believe city officials also stated as such. Yet nobody ever bothered to confirm it. In fact a few posters here still didn't believe it ever was true.

Yet now suddenly it must be true because it makes for good fodder in supporting your assertion that Jamison doesn't have his money in escrow.

This is not about who's more deserving to be an owner of the franchise (I liked Hulsizer's enthusiasm as a hockey fan, and I like Jamison because he's got experience working with franchises in tough markets.).... This is also not about Gary Bettman and his merry band of marionettes (even thought last I heard he actually works for the owners and not the other way around).

The only thing that is for certain here is you do not know any more than the rest of us if an escrow account exists. It is only your personal opinion it doesn't, because nobody bothered to inform you.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
5,000 people to watch a hockey practice on a cold Sunday in January compared to a Monday morning workout? Really?

But it was a "full workout". And the high was in the low 40's (degrees F) today. :laugh:

Serious note though.... congrats on the turnout of Jets fans.

Like most people... I was at work so I couldn't make Monday's practice.. I will be going tomorrow though. Only chance I get to see one. Will have to miss Wednesday night's scrimmage because my daughter has a HS basketball game at the same time.

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.

Your latest in a long long series of opines that Jamison has no money in escrow is based upon the notion that he's never said so.

Hulsizer claimed he had a good faith deposit down. I believe city officials also stated as such. Yet nobody ever bothered to confirm it. In fact a few posters here still didn't believe it ever was true.

Yet now suddenly it must be true because it makes for good fodder in supporting your assertion that Jamison doesn't have his money in escrow.

This is not about who's more deserving to be an owner of the franchise (I liked Hulsizer's enthusiasm as a hockey fan, and I like Jamison because he's got experience working with franchises in tough markets.).... This is also not about Gary Bettman and his merry band of marionettes (even thought last I heard he actually works for the owners and not the other way around).

The only thing that is for certain here is you do not know any more than the rest of us if an escrow account exists. It is only your personal opinion it doesn't, because nobody bothered to inform you.

Seems the City Council knew about the escrow account put forth by MH! They shouted such a fact from the roof tops as proof that finally they had a buyer who would put some of his money where his mouth is! GJ , on the other hand has not extended a bent nickel to either the COG or the NHL! For a man who is supposedly buying this team in the coming few weeks(or so he says) wouldn`t you think he would have spent more than $100 on a better website pushing his cause? With the season upon us, he has done nothing to promote this team for the coming year! NOTHING!!! The only life in this organization exists through the Commissioners office in NYC. Jamison hasn`t even bothered to extend a welcoming hand to those who have plunked down money for this years tickets, will he be at the door opening night greeting the fans? I doubt it, yet another indicator that he has no intention of making a purchase he has claimed he would make for the last 18 months!

Puckschmuck*

On a Sunday in which it is all but illegal to have to work?

Unless you are a Mormon or something like that, there is nothing "illegal" or immorale about "working" on a Sunday. Plenty of people do. Your comment makes no sense.

You have mocked, put down and ridiculed a certain fanbase (and it's city) many many times in the past, and still do to this day, albeit on a much smaller scale these days. You are no better than the rest of us here.

Just keeing it real for you, bro. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

I honestly believe that Jamison does not have money in escrow, simply because if money was put there by COG it was while NHL was the owner of the team and knowing the NHL, they will keep that money for themselves and justify it's withdrawal from escrow with some old bills. I really doubt Jamison (or any other future owner of the Coyotes for that matter) will see any of that money.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
given that the Pacific Division Banner will be raised, do people think the home opener will be sold out? i think it would be a nice thing for the players to see a full house.

it's the black hawks, and on a weekend too.

what say, phoenix fans?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm not sure why the notion of Jamison putting money in escrow is at all relevant. I can't see any reason why he should do so. All he needs to do is purchase the Coyotes, and then assume responsibility as arena manager.

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City
given that the Pacific Division Banner will be raised, do people think the home opener will be sold out? i think it would be a nice thing for the players to see a full house.

it's the black hawks, and on a weekend too.

what say, phoenix fans?

The first game will be sold out, the problem will be the second game when they host the Columbus Blue Jackets on a week night! :handclap:

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
I'm not sure why the notion of Jamison putting money in escrow is at all relevant. I can't see any reason why he should do so. All he needs to do is purchase the Coyotes, and then assume responsibility as arena manager.
people who put a deposit down on an item are more likely to come back and complete the purchase. ;)

can i ask about that picture that clark tweeted? has anyone called her on it, especially alvarez? that seems the sort of behaviour that would result in a 1-day suspension from high school. mean-spirited and immature. is she really that much of a jerk?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
people who put a deposit down on an item are more likely to come back and complete the purchase. ;)

can i ask about that picture that clark tweeted? has anyone called her on it, especially alvarez? that seems the sort of behaviour that would result in a 1-day suspension from high school. mean-spirited and immature. is she really that much of a jerk?

No need to put a deposit down unless the seller requires it. No reason for the NHL to require a deposit.

I thought the Alvarez picture was funny. I doubt that Alvarez was quite as amused. It might not have been politically wise, particularly if it lights a bit of a fire under Alvarez. If Jamison needs to extend the deadline, he'll need all the help he can on council. The sort of stunt posted on Clark's Twitter feed might not help.

Puckschmuck*

Question.

So can today be the day that the new COG puts the kibosh on this sweetheart deal for Jiggy, or do we have to wait until the 31st to see what happens? Sorry, I"m a little behind on the goings-on at the moment.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Question.

So can today be the day that the new COG puts the kibosh on this sweetheart deal for Jiggy, or do we have to wait until the 31st to see what happens? Sorry, I"m a little behind on the goings-on at the moment.

I don't think that anything definitive will happen today, or in two weeks from now. I see this dragging out until at least the end of the season.

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Oh, I missed that. Curious that came a couple months after Bettman said he expected the Jamison deal to close within weeks.

This could get interesting!

The Glendale City Council on Monday directed staff to extend its arena management with the NHL for another 30 days, allowing Phoenix Coyotes suitor Greg Jamison more time to try to buy the hockey team, City Attorney Craig Tindall said. "This provides a period of time that's necessary to make sure the entire transaction can occur," the city attorney said.​
- August 27, 2012​

Spot on, Craig. I'm mildly curious how they're tolling the agreement from July 31, 2012 (original expiration date) until Jan 31, 2013. I guess it somewhat depends on how one reads the language @ 3.4 in the AMUL. Either way, I doubt that Glendale would ever do anything to actually protect their interests or utilizes their leverage in negotiations.

Because there are great fans in phx. We are passionate about hockey, we love the game just as much as any fan.

Arizona is a tough market for any team ... This is a hard market.

Thanks for clearing that up.

has anyone called her on it, especially alvarez? that seems the sort of behaviour that would result in a 1-day suspension from high school. mean-spirited and immature. is she really that much of a jerk?

Call her on what? You actually think a nearly 70-year old, belligerent imbecile like Joyce Clark is running her own social media account?

Puckschmuck*

I don't think that anything definitive will happen today, or in two weeks from now. I see this dragging out until at least the end of the season.

Yeah, I was kind of wondering if this could happen. This is the never-ending story, so I guess that would be par for the course.

Fidel Astro

Aug 26, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
www.witchpolice.com

That last bit is just plain wrong. They recently changed the laws so businesses can choose to open early on Sundays if they like. Even before that, most businesses opened at noon on Sundays, so there were plenty of people working.

I think this is the correct answer.

You realize, right, if the Coyotes showed any kind of sign of legitimately being able to succeed in their market, the rhetoric would come to a dead stop? The only reason people are still ******** all over the Yotes is because it's very clear to everyone and their dog that the team is a financial disaster in its current location, and would make far more money for the NHL if it was located somewhere else.

I understand that there's a small group of fans who are passionate about their team and will be upset if (when) it leaves, but I don't have a lot of sympathy for them. If they put together some kind of real grassroots effort to save their team (like we did in Winnipeg, which was way before the Internet made this kind of **** extremely easy to organize), I would shut the **** up about them forever, and I feel like a lot of other naysayers would too.

The fact that they aren't trying, in any measurable way, and just complaining on the Internet about how they're being mistreated, doesn't evoke a lot of "oh, poor Yotes fans" emotions in anyone.

**** or get off the pot, mother****ers. I realize it's not entirely on the fans, and that the team has been plagued by poor business decisions, but I do hold the fans somewhat responsible for not showing the parade of ownership candidates that Phoenix *is* a good hockey market and *will* support a team.

In every case, some rich guy has pulled out at the last minute because he was unsure about investing his own money in the team. If Jamison (or any of the other potential guys in the past) saw a massive turnout or some kind of show of solidarity from the fans, maybe he'd be more willing to take the risk.

The fact that the fans haven't done this continues to baffle me, and actually angers me, to a certain extent.

I watched the episode of Hockey: A People's History the other day about the Jets and Nordiques. I was almost in tears. It was like an emotional punch in the gut. I was a teenager when the Jets left, and I remember that **** like it was yesterday. Watching all of the community fundraising efforts, and people talking about how important the team was to their families and to the city, only to see it all fail... and then watching Coyotes fans do absolutely bugger-all when their team is in similar jeopardy...

It just angries up the blood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia