Phoenix LXVI: Get Your Kicks On Thread LXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
We need a new thread title people. This ones
run its course. Taking submissions starting right now....

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
They may get a new "local" owner, but in reality, no one is ever locked into a lease. You can always get out.

This isn't the Hotel California.

I had to go search for this 2009 article.

It's up to local pols to make the terms of a lease as airtight as possible, so that the owner would rather find a local buyer, then try to break the lease and move the team.

http://hockey.ballparks.com/NHL/NewYorkIslanders/index.htm
ISLANDERS' LEASE MAKE RELOCATION DIFFICULT
February 5, 2009
Copyright 2009 MediaVentures
If the owner attempted to move the team, Nassau County Attorney Lorna Goodman said, he could be held in contempt and face the possibility of jail time, high fines and the payment of any damages incurred by the county.

If the Islanders were to contest the lease, Alfred Brophy, a University of North Carolina professor of commercial real estate law, said the county would win the case in court.

"It's a more extreme lease than you typically see," Brophy said. "If I'm the New York Islanders, I'm not sure I would want to sign this lease. From their perspective, it's a bad lease. But just because it's bad, it doesn't mean you can get out of it."

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
In keeping with Pink Floyd....
"Phoenix LXVII: How I wish, How I wish you were here.... Jamison"

"Phoenix LXVII: So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell"

Might be a bit long but...
"Phoenix LXVII: Joyce got run over by a reindeer, Walking home from our house Christmas Eve."

or

"Phoenix LXVII: Will things ever be the same again? It's the final countdown."

"Phoenix LXVII: I'm sure that we'll all miss her so, It's the final countdown."

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
After the embarrassment of the Spano fraud case and earlier failures to find a buyer who'd keep the team in Phoenix, I expect the NHL front office has been very aggressive in investigating Jamison, his partners and their finances.

Just like they were with Del Biaggio and Len Barrie.

I'm not saying that Jamieson is a criminal by an stretch of the imagination, but terrible ownership groups (from those who simply didn't have the pockets to those who actually belong in jail) have found their way through with many teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad