Phoenix CXXXVII - and the band plays on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I actually do, and the reasons why are the same ones I enumerated way back when Vegas first put their name into the expansion bid process - they had no competition to deal with from other pro franchises, they had a state of the art arena built right in the middle of some of the United States' most lucrative and sought-after entertainment, gaming, and vacation properties, and - most importantly - they had a deep-pocketed locally-sourced benefactor as an owner. Vegas represented a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for the NHL and the circumstances all dovetailed into a near-perfect scenario.

In fact, I'll go a bit further - I think Vegas' chances of long-term success are far higher as things stand now than Seattle's - and Seattle is one of those markets that all the traditionalists believe was the slam dunk of NHL expansion. I think there is a lot of political and logistical trouble that NHL Seattle will have to negotiate before we can say for sure that the NHL's decision to go there was worth it, no matter how attractive the Pacific Northwest is.

This is what I think you need to do to get Arizonans to buy into the franchise:
  1. Solid ownership with no threat of imminent relocation. You can't build loyalty or affinity in-market with one foot out the door. All you'll get is what we've gotten for the past decade - a small group of hardcore local fans, a very small amount of casual game-by-game visitors, a bunch of vacationing snowbirds, and fans of other franchises who only bother to show up when the Hawks, Wings, Sabres, or Flames show up.
  2. Appeal to local flavor. This team has to feel like it belongs here, to Arizona and to the Phoenix Metro area - not a glorified rental of some other city or country. One of Gretzky's, and then IceArizona's, biggest missteps was to target the team towards Canada. They ripped away the team's identity to refashion it as a nu-Canadian team with dull, traditional colors (or, in IA's case, legitimately ripped-off Team Canada colors and sweaters); IceArizona figured that they ought to play home games in Saskatoon, and that flooding the arena with TimBits and poutine was the road to eventual success. All it did was turn the Coyotes into a curiosity - a chunk of faux-Canada that was about as appetizing as a VHS of Strange Brew. Whoever owns the team from here on out has got to give it back to the locals. And it's more than just putting nachos in the concession stand - if you market to outsiders, then every game is an away game. The rink has to feel like home to the team and the fans.
  3. Be serious about winning. Robert Sarver, the owner of the Suns, has taken a team with nearly a half-century of history in Arizona and absolutely murdered fan interest in the franchise. The Suns are a national joke, a literal punchline to a whole series of Deadspin articles. Look at a Suns game these days, and you'll see the same types of crowds Gila River Arena saw during the bankruptcy. The Diamondbacks weren't that bad, but until the Tony LaRussa era ended they were floundering and making terrible deals (Yasmany Tomas, anyone?) and it was clear they were going nowhere. And now the Cardinals are starting to feel that same heat. It's not just winning that's the issue - it's whether those in power to do something about it have a plan that isn't ridiculously stupid. With the cost of pro sports always rising, fans want to know that they're not wasting money on a frickin' clown show. They'll forgive bad years and in-season struggles... if they know that those are the vagaries of sports and not a symptom of a terribly-run franchise. There are simply too many other options for people to spend their discretionary income on here.
Now, I get that that's a serious ask, all things considered. But I challenge anyone to name a time in the Coyotes' history when they've had even two out of the three items I listed above. The only time I can think of that even comes close was the first two or three years of the franchise's tenure in Arizona, before they lost Roenick and Tkachuk and the ownership situation started to change - and during those years, the numbers show that the market embraced the team pretty strongly.

The reason I have hope about Meruelo is that, at least on paper, he can provide all three of those items I listed. Whether he actually does or not is still to be seen, but it's the most positive I've felt about things in over a decade.
Ooop's. Didn't read the post before yours. :)

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
. One of Gretzky's, and then IceArizona's, biggest missteps was to target the team towards Canada. They ripped away the team's identity to refashion it as a nu-Canadian team with dull, traditional colors (or, in IA's case, legitimately ripped-off Team Canada colors and sweaters); IceArizona figured that they ought to play home games in Saskatoon, and that flooding the arena with TimBits and poutine was the road to eventual success. All it did was turn the Coyotes into a curiosity - a chunk of faux-Canada that was about as appetizing as a VHS of Strange Brew.

When we fly down to take in a Jets game, we don't spend a couple of hours sitting in McFadden's to eat poutine and sip Tim's. We go down there to bask in America for however much longer it lasts and eat a real American burger and sip Tilted Kilt or something similar. Making the "Coyote's experience" more Canadian was possibly the most brain-dead, asinine thing an owner could do.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
When we fly down to take in a Jets game, we don't spend a couple of hours sitting in McFadden's to eat poutine and sip Tim's. We go down there to bask in America for however much longer it lasts and eat a real American burger and sip Tilted Kilt or something similar. Making the "Coyote's experience" more Canadian was possibly the most brain-dead, asinine thing an owner could do.

I completely agree, 100%, and so do my other Canadian pals who come down for games. We always eat at McFadden's or Saddle Ranch and they always get something laced with the hottest local peppers to go along with their locally-sourced ale. But every time we head over to GRA, they always - always - mention how sterile the place is and how little of the team's history is displayed on the walls. And I agree - Gila River Arena has a great layout for the game, but the experience is so generic that you'd expect it to be packaged in a plain white box with Arial lettering.

Reactions: GuelphStormer

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
they always - always - mention how sterile the place is and how little of the team's history is displayed on the walls.

(Although...to be fair...our history.. Boston has Orr's flying act, Washignton now has Ovechkin hoisting the Cup, enter GRA and it'd be "why do you guys have a mural of Patrick Roy throwing his goal stick?")

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
(Although...to be fair...our history.. Boston has Orr's flying act, Washignton now has Ovechkin hoisting the Cup, enter GRA and it'd be "why do you guys have a mural of Patrick Roy throwing his goal stick?")

The first Phoenix white-out... Roenick's full face cage... DOANFACE... Doan pummeling Dustin Brown... that's just off the top of my head! :D

But really - I've been to many other sports arenas and GRA has got to be the most antiseptic experience out of all of them. Whatever new arena gets built - or if Meruelo decides to renovate GRA - it's got to have a significantly upgraded fan experience. In a state full of destinations, the hockey arena needs to feel like one too.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
This may be somewhat OT, but I think it's germane to the state of pro sports in Arizona - since we're always talking about what a tire fire the Coyotes have been up until now, I thought it might add some context as to just how awful the Cardinals are going to be this season:

https://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2019-arizona-cardinals-1836556422

Interesting you brought that up. AZ Republic just released something similar a couple of days ago in regards to the Suns.

(Updated 7/20/2019)
These pro sports teams are running out of fans

The Coyotes did gain some ground in the media this past year. In part to being in the playoff picture up until the last week coupled with the collapse of the Suns, Cardinals (and DBacks to a certain degree)

If there ever was an opportunity for the Coyotes to make even more headway in Arizona it’s now.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Well staying with the OT posts...the Cardinals are worth much more than the Coyotes...

To quote:

"Of the 50 teams on the list, 26 were NFL franchises, including the Arizona Cardinals, who come in at No. 46.

The team is valued at $2.15 billion. They had the same value in the 2018 rankings.

That value was tied for No. 41 with the Los Angeles Clippers a year ago.

No NHL team made the cut."

Source: www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2019/07/22/most-valuable-sports-teams-nfl-dominates-forbes-franchise-rankings/1797518001/

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Except we aren’t comparing franchise values between leagues just to find something that appears to make the Coyotes look bad. :rolleyes:

What Feckless is pointing out (and I bolstered some) are two things.

1) That it’s a fickle market with fickle fans who don’t tolerate bad ownership decisions or team performances for very long.....

AND

2) The number four franchise in a four pro sports town has an opportunity to gain ground with the fans against the continuing ineptude within the other three franchises IF... they continue on with their current improvement.

:teach:

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Well FWIW.........

From Craig Morgan (via The Athletic) early this morning.....

Coyotes President and CEO Ahron Cohen said Sunday that the sale of the team to billionaire Alex Meruelo “is still expected to close by the end of the month.” Meruelo is expected to purchase a 95 percent stake in the team, with current owner Andrew Barroway retaining 5 percent.

The Athletic first reported the news of Meruelo’s planned purchase on June 10. The NHL Board of Governors approved the sale at a meeting on June 19 in Las Vegas before the NHL Awards show.

Meruelo is expected to meet with local media sometime after the sale has closed.

[paywall] Neutral Zone: Coyotes sale on track; key players healthy and...

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Well FWIW.........

From Craig Morgan (via The Athletic) early this morning.....

"Still expected to close..."

Why does that sound like when you're on a flight and even though there's been no noise, turbulence or disturbance of any kind, the pilot comes on the intercom and says, "Ladies and gentlemen, there is absolutely no cause for alarm"?

Reactions: Llama19

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Why does that sound like when you're on a flight and even though there's been no noise, turbulence or disturbance of any kind, the pilot comes on the intercom and says, "Ladies and gentlemen, there is absolutely no cause for alarm"?

Well, speaking as a sometime pilot, I can tell you that passengers are hair-trigger complainers who are apt to see disaster in every small bump or altitude change, and who freak out thinking the plane is going to crash if you get caught in a downdraft. So you want to get out in front of that before anything of actual import happens so you can focus on flying.

Not sure if there's a metaphor to be had here. :sarcasm:

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
These fan fests are always fun, hope the Coyotes get a good turnout to theirs. Good chance for the new owner to prove himself there and introduce himself to the Coyotes fanbase.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Well they’ve already ordered a ceremonial jersey for Meruelo’s introduction as owner.

So we’re on approach waiting for clearance from the tower. ;)

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
These fan fests are always fun, hope the Coyotes get a good turnout to theirs. Good chance for the new owner to prove himself there and introduce himself to the Coyotes fanbase.

Not sure if he’ll be there since he’ll be able to do that at the intro presser, but many of the players will. A lot of them stayed here for the summer.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Well they’ve already ordered a ceremonial jersey for Meruelo’s introduction as owner.

So we’re on approach waiting for clearance from the tower. ;)

No news is good news in my opinion. Just keep the paperwork rolling. Just hoping for no surprises, which apparently was the case when he tried to buy an NBA franchise? That extra $50 million if I remember correctly?

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
No news is good news in my opinion. Just keep the paperwork rolling. Just hoping for no surprises, which apparently was the case when he tried to buy an NBA franchise? That extra $50 million if I remember correctly?

Something along those lines. But I don’t see anything like that happening. Meruelo brings too much too the table for the league to pull some last minute fine print and lose him.

So for the next few days we’ll have to settle for hard hitting news like fan fests and promo night schedules.

Reactions: awfulwaffle

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I actually do, and the reasons why are the same ones I enumerated way back when Vegas first put their name into the expansion bid process - they had no competition to deal with from other pro franchises, they had a state of the art arena built right in the middle of some of the United States' most lucrative and sought-after entertainment, gaming, and vacation properties, and - most importantly - they had a deep-pocketed locally-sourced benefactor as an owner. Vegas represented a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for the NHL and the circumstances all dovetailed into a near-perfect scenario.

In fact, I'll go a bit further - I think Vegas' chances of long-term success are far higher as things stand now than Seattle's - and Seattle is one of those markets that all the traditionalists believe was the slam dunk of NHL expansion. I think there is a lot of political and logistical trouble that NHL Seattle will have to negotiate before we can say for sure that the NHL's decision to go there was worth it, no matter how attractive the Pacific Northwest is.

This is what I think you need to do to get Arizonans to buy into the franchise:
  1. Solid ownership with no threat of imminent relocation. You can't build loyalty or affinity in-market with one foot out the door. All you'll get is what we've gotten for the past decade - a small group of hardcore local fans, a very small amount of casual game-by-game visitors, a bunch of vacationing snowbirds, and fans of other franchises who only bother to show up when the Hawks, Wings, Sabres, or Flames show up.
  2. Appeal to local flavor. This team has to feel like it belongs here, to Arizona and to the Phoenix Metro area - not a glorified rental of some other city or country. One of Gretzky's, and then IceArizona's, biggest missteps was to target the team towards Canada. They ripped away the team's identity to refashion it as a nu-Canadian team with dull, traditional colors (or, in IA's case, legitimately ripped-off Team Canada colors and sweaters); IceArizona figured that they ought to play home games in Saskatoon, and that flooding the arena with TimBits and poutine was the road to eventual success. All it did was turn the Coyotes into a curiosity - a chunk of faux-Canada that was about as appetizing as a VHS of Strange Brew. Whoever owns the team from here on out has got to give it back to the locals. And it's more than just putting nachos in the concession stand - if you market to outsiders, then every game is an away game. The rink has to feel like home to the team and the fans.
  3. Be serious about winning. Robert Sarver, the owner of the Suns, has taken a team with nearly a half-century of history in Arizona and absolutely murdered fan interest in the franchise. The Suns are a national joke, a literal punchline to a whole series of Deadspin articles. Look at a Suns game these days, and you'll see the same types of crowds Gila River Arena saw during the bankruptcy. The Diamondbacks weren't that bad, but until the Tony LaRussa era ended they were floundering and making terrible deals (Yasmany Tomas, anyone?) and it was clear they were going nowhere. And now the Cardinals are starting to feel that same heat. It's not just winning that's the issue - it's whether those in power to do something about it have a plan that isn't ridiculously stupid. With the cost of pro sports always rising, fans want to know that they're not wasting money on a frickin' clown show. They'll forgive bad years and in-season struggles... if they know that those are the vagaries of sports and not a symptom of a terribly-run franchise. There are simply too many other options for people to spend their discretionary income on here.
Now, I get that that's a serious ask, all things considered. But I challenge anyone to name a time in the Coyotes' history when they've had even two out of the three items I listed above. The only time I can think of that even comes close was the first two or three years of the franchise's tenure in Arizona, before they lost Roenick and Tkachuk and the ownership situation started to change - and during those years, the numbers show that the market embraced the team pretty strongly.

The reason I have hope about Meruelo is that, at least on paper, he can provide all three of those items I listed. Whether he actually does or not is still to be seen, but it's the most positive I've felt about things in over a decade.

I won't fault IceArizona for poutine and Tim Hortons. Two things they did right. I still buy the poutine at most games I attend and Tim Bits and hot chocolate were purchased every game I attended. Still bummed they switched to DD.

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door
Something along those lines. But I don’t see anything like that happening. Meruelo brings too much too the table for the league to pull some last minute fine print and lose him.
I doubt the NHL would be stupid enough to try anything that would even remotely jeopardize the sale. Coyotes have been waiting for over a decade for a white knight and now one is inside the castle waiting for the deed to be handed over.

Reactions: oknazevad

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
It would be nice for the Coyotes to get an owner who can make that team viable. Sounds like Meruelo could be that guy from what I'm reading in this thread.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Meruelo actually has loads of cash, enough to suck up 10+ million plus losses, or to pay for a new arena himself without subsidies. from what I've been reading, this looks like the guy Arizona has been looking for, for ... well their entire existence.

And when it is all said and done, I'm proud to say I've been a fan since I can remember when I was younger.

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
I wont believe it until its happened, even then I am not really sure what a world looks like where the U Haul watch at the arena can be called off for a few years.
Does anything make sense anymore?

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I wont believe it until its happened, even then I am not really sure what a world looks like where the U Haul watch at the arena can be called off for a few years.
Does anything make sense anymore?

A lot of things about the United States do not make sense to an outsider and occasional visitor. But calling off the vigil for the moving vans seems sensible, given what we've learned about Meruelo. I haven't been alerted to any impediments to this sale being consummated and indeed, to the consternation of many, this may be the "forever owner" that the team has always needed.

Mind you, in a world where a Moose talks to a Coyote, anything can still happen...

Reactions: Snarky Coyote
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad