Phoenix CXXXVII - and the band plays on

Status
Not open for further replies.

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
This is further confirmation that Barroway, Cohen and GB have been playing pretty loose for far too long. What is painfully obvious is that AB has exhausted his personal funds, but has been told by GB that he must continue to put on a brave public face. GB, is likely working OT to bring this charade to an end. He has promised his board that they will not lose money on this franchise. His problem now is that everyone understands there are no buyers either locally or afar who are interested in paying Uncle Gary his asking price. This franchise is no longer in AB's hands as the present and future losses have overwhelmed any equity that may have been left. Will Tillman step up? Not at GB's asking price! How about informing Seattle that they need to take a relocation? Remain in Glendale? Perhaps, but it will have to be a league owned franchise, not sure GB can sell that idea to the board of Governors? This is quickly becoming an endless cash hole with no realistic end in sight, that is essentially what Mr. Cohen just said!

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
I'm not taking the time to listen....so instead I am simply going to say this:

If Llama has the quotations right, it seems as if it is a slight admission that nothing is happening in either ownership or arena.

The big question is: If that is right (and obviously cold be wrong), does that mean anything in the big picture?

I don't know.

Did we learn anything about a potential privately/tribal financed arena when the Suns decided to stay downtown? If they thought a new arena was going to happen, wouldn't they have slow played Phoenix until they could declare TSRA obsolete and get out of the lease. The fact there wasn't much in terms of rumors of talks recently kind of points to this as well.

NickWIHockey

Jan 3, 2013
Port Washington, WI
difference between this and Teddy at San Juan Hill is that Teddy didnt spend years trying to climb a hill, theres a reason the yellow press called the Spanish American war a Splendid little war, as it was over quickly, with little loss of American life and netted the US loads of territories as booty. by comparison, Arizona has basically been in a holding position for a couple years(more accurately, since bankruptcy), its circling around an airport waiting for permission to land, only difference here is, to land will cost someone around 600M.

Reactions: mesamonster

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
So...why would Cohen bother to go on the radio then...if there was nothing to say...but what they have said before...

Because he was asked a question by people who haven't spent a literal decade following this saga.

From the moment that Barroway took full controlling interest, we knew/assumed the search for additional investors began.

This very fact has also been announced in the past, and that's before the first megathread closure.

I'm kinda sour that this thread is even back for this little news. If this nothing interview, re-iterating stuff we already knew is enough to re-start the mega-thread, then why did it even go down in the first place?

Wow..... a nothing interview that generates 28 responses worth of more nothing..... “confirmations” and all.

I absolutely amazed of the desperation to keep this franchise on the BoH forefront in order to play “Whack-The-Yotes” some more.

Doesn’t even deserve a megathread chapter.

To be fair, a good chunk of those 28 responses are people questioning why this is news.

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
Because he was asked a question by people who haven't spent a literal decade following this saga.

From the moment that Barroway took full controlling interest, we knew/assumed the search for additional investors began.

This very fact has also been announced in the past, and that's before the first megathread closure.

I'm kinda sour that this thread is even back for this little news. If this nothing interview, re-iterating stuff we already knew is enough to re-start the mega-thread, then why did it even go down in the first place?

To be fair, a good chunk of those 28 responses are people questioning why this is news.

I beg to differ, I don`t recall AB coming out immediately after his buy out looking for other investors? The story line at the time was that he was consolidating his ownership so that the decision making process could be allowed to go forward without competing interests and the red tape associated with multiple owners! It was at the time assumed that AB was taking outright control so that he could subsequently flip the asset. Furthermore, the Cohen interview news is news in the fact that they have done NOTHING since his last public statement. The very fact that they are obviously struggling financially was news then and as the weeks and months go by means such struggles are now becoming an even larger problem. When debt is involved TIME is money and by virtue of the fact that none of the potential suitors has spoken word one we can only assume that the future is today more muddled than it was just a few short months ago when they wanted us to believe that arena options were still very much alive and there were potentially outside parties interested in the franchise. Today? NOTHING IS HAPPENING, that is news!

Reactions: Llama19

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I beg to differ, I don`t recall AB coming out immediately after his buy out looking for other investors? The story line at the time was that he was consolidating his ownership so that the decision making process could be allowed to go forward without competing interests and the red tape associated with multiple owners! It was at the time assumed that AB was taking outright control so that he could subsequently flip the asset. Furthermore, the Cohen interview news is news in the fact that they have done NOTHING since his last public statement. The very fact that they are obviously struggling financially was news then and as the weeks and months go by means such struggles are now becoming an even larger problem. When debt is involved TIME is money and by virtue of the fact that none of the potential suitors has spoken word one we can only assume that the future is today more muddled than it was just a few short months ago when they wanted us to believe that arena options were still very much alive and there were potentially outside parties interested in the franchise. Today? NOTHING IS HAPPENING, that is news!

He didn't come out and say it immediately, but everyone here made that conclusion, and then when it was announced that he was looking, no one here was surprised.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
“I don’t recall....”

(cranks up Google)

June 12, 2017....

AP Source: Andrew Barroway becomes Coyotes' sole owner

March 10, 2018.....

Coyotes owner Andrew Barroway in discussions with potential investors

Which leads one to presume (a recurring theme in BoH it seems) that Barroway’s plan all along was to buy out the original IA partners with the goal in mind to bring in a better group to replace the people that mucked up probably the greatest arena deal in the planet.

But hey..... we’re all just spitballing here....

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
This is further confirmation that Barroway, Cohen and GB have been playing pretty loose for far too long. What is painfully obvious is that AB has exhausted his personal funds, but has been told by GB that he must continue to put on a brave public face. GB, is likely working OT to bring this charade to an end. He has promised his board that they will not lose money on this franchise. His problem now is that everyone understands there are no buyers either locally or afar who are interested in paying Uncle Gary his asking price. This franchise is no longer in AB's hands as the present and future losses have overwhelmed any equity that may have been left. Will Tillman step up? Not at GB's asking price! How about informing Seattle that they need to take a relocation? Remain in Glendale? Perhaps, but it will have to be a league owned franchise, not sure GB can sell that idea to the board of Governors? This is quickly becoming an endless cash hole with no realistic end in sight, that is essentially what Mr. Cohen just said!

Seattle was granted an expansion team to start playing 2021-22 season. There is no way they can take on a relocated team given there is no ready arena for it and the NHL isn't going to have 2 lame duck years. If the team is going to be relocated, it'll be moved for the next season not 2 seasons from now.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Seattle was granted an expansion team to start playing 2021-22 season. There is no way they can take on a relocated team given there is no ready arena for it and the NHL isn't going to have 2 lame duck years. If the team is going to be relocated, it'll be moved for the next season not 2 seasons from now.

Why not? It has been a lame duck since 2009... :sarcasm:

Reactions: Slashers98

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
Wow..... a nothing interview that generates 28 responses worth of more nothing..... “confirmations” and all.

I absolutely amazed of the desperation to keep this franchise on the BoH forefront in order to play “Whack-The-Yotes” some more.

Doesn’t even deserve a megathread chapter.
It was not a nothing interview. Since the rumour of a potential sale of the team began circulating this fall, the story has been that the sale process was happening but that it was complicated and likely would not get done until after Xmas. The deadline was then pushed back to year end, all the while the Coyote sources kept saying that the sale was progressing, but that the due diligence takes more time than they had hoped.
The news here, as many suspected, was that there was no process going on, in fact there doesn’t seem to be anything going on at all.
This is contrary to the line that team sources has been using for months. I am actually surprised that Cohen was so honest. Refreshing for this saga..

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
It was not a nothing interview. Since the rumour of a potential sale of the team began circulating this fall, the story has been that the sale process was happening but that it was complicated and likely would not get done until after Xmas. The deadline was then pushed back to year end, all the while the Coyote sources kept saying that the sale was progressing, but that the due diligence takes more time than they had hoped.
The news here, as many suspected, was that there was no process going on, in fact there doesn’t seem to be anything going on at all.
This is contrary to the line that team sources has been using for months. I am actually surprised that Cohen was so honest. Refreshing for this saga..

From Pagnotta's last article on the subject in December (which drove most of the previous conversation, not the rumors from F40):
Source: Coyotes sale inching closer, future uncertain — The Fourth Period
There is still no set timeline as to when current owner Andrew Barroway will finalize his deal with this purchaser – I’ve not yet been able to confirm if it’s a group or an individual buying the majority of the club – and it’s still unclear if he’ll have a piece of the franchise when all is said an done. Either way, a sale is coming and the spotlight on team’s future in Arizona is about shine once again.

Pretty definite statement on the subject of timelines I would think....... from a guy who's actually dug into things rather than taking in the various musings of message board posters.

About those "Coyotes sources".... if you mean the poster in F40, I can go back over the thread there and check but he's never really said anything about a timetable. There have been presumptive mentions of by the end of the year, and end of the season but there's never...... ever.... been a direct quote from any source on that.

So what are we left with?? Zero..... zip...... nothing has changed..... all that remains are the same "lame" presumptions made by the same people working the same "lame" narratives (since 2009).

Reactions: awfulwaffle

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Legend....

While I tend to agree on the "Letter" of your post, I think I disagree on the "sense" of the post. This is what I mean....

The various prior reports: Pagnotta among others, have posted about an intended sale, or intended buyers....(Look again at Pagnotta's tweet.....while he doesn't mention any names, he clearly indicates the sense of "something is going to happen") Everyone has carried with it the idea of "A sale is in the works"....In other words, the way that the 'news' would lead you would be to believe in a positive....

This interview from Cohen seems to do the opposite. It is low on hype. No names, no 'positive' spin on a new arena. No suggestion that a sale is imminent. Simply a confirmation that Barroway would like to sell some or perhaps all of the franchise.

The change in tone is the thing which is noticeable to some of us.

Your interpretation may be different, of course. But, that is the way this hits some of us. And, you can brand me a "relocationist" or a "bad news guy" if you want. But, I think that my posting history here suggests otherwise. I try really hard to play everything straight, and present all the possibilities on every side. I think you know that.

So, I'm just saying that I would not be dismissive of this interview, even as I would not take it as PROOF POSITIVE that the franchise is in the tubes.

Last edited:

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
The sharks on this board are used to a group that would admit they sneezed. This group has been much more professional, and as such, this interview didn't do anything. We all know what they are trying to do. Even if they made traction on investors or a new arena, what's the point of putting that out there? We all saw what happened with the news that was released in regards to the asu connection. There is no reason for them to come out with possible news that us in AZ have become immune to until it actually happens.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Legend....

While I tend to agree on the "Letter" of your post, I think I disagree on the "sense" of the post. This is what I mean....

The various prior reports: Pagnotta among others, have posted about an intended sale, or intended buyers....(Look again at Pagnotta's tweet.....while he doesn't mention any names, he clearly indicates the sense of "something is going to happen") Everyone has carried with it the idea of "A sale is in the works"....In other words, the way that the 'news' would lead you would be to believe in a positive....

This interview from Cohen seems to do the opposite. It is low on hype. No names, no 'positive' spin on a new arena. No suggestion that a sale is imminent. Simply a confirmation that Barroway would like to sell some or perhaps all of the franchise.

The change in tone is the thing which is noticeable to some of us.

Your interpretation may be different, of course. But, that is the way this hits some of us. And, you can brand me a "relocationist" or a "bad news guy" if you want. But, I think that my posting history here suggests otherwise. I try really hard to play everything straight, and present all the possibilities on every side. I think you know that.

So, I'm just saying that I would be dismissive of this interview, even as I would not take it as PROOF POSITIVE that the franchise is in the tubes.

I don't delve into labels.....

I didn't view Pagnotta's articles to mean anything other than there are talks going on. That's it..... Pagnotta came away with a sense that it will eventually be successful. I chose to stay with the position that if it happens, then it happens. Then I'll be interested in what's involved. If it doesn't then I'll be curious as to where it went wrong.

Sometimes things are just that simple.

Cohen's not going to reveal anything one way or another. They saw first hand how successful LeBlanc's "Two Weeks and Good Things Will Happen" tour was. What he will reveal (and does continually) is what the Coyotes are doing to work towards increasing the fan base and interest in the brand, because without that it won't matter what arena deal they manage to come up with.

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
I don't delve into labels.....

I didn't view Pagnotta's articles to mean anything other than there are talks going on. That's it..... Pagnotta came away with a sense that it will eventually be successful. I chose to stay with the position that if it happens, then it happens. Then I'll be interested in what's involved. If it doesn't then I'll be curious as to where it went wrong.

Sometimes things are just that simple.

Cohen's not going to reveal anything one way or another. They saw first hand how successful LeBlanc's "Two Weeks and Good Things Will Happen" tour was. What he will reveal (and does continually) is what the Coyotes are doing to work towards increasing the fan base and interest in the brand, because without that it won't matter what arena deal they manage to come up with.

Legend, I concur with MNNnumbers! The history of this organization putting out general statements about the sale and/or arena options has been an ongoing theme for years. They have learned that they can talk in general terms forever and not have to endure closer scrutiny with regard to their public announcements. I believe they learned their lessons from the Tony Leblanc dumpster fire that saying less allows them to continue on in a status quo environment for as long as they need to. However, i think people have grown tired of this obfuscation of the truth, lets just say I don`t think these people can really be trusted with their words anymore. Too much of saying NOTHING other than, "we are in talks" is becoming a disingenuous refrain to most of us who have heard this for far too long! Maybe a name or two and some real facts could persuade me and others to believe that this is not just a kick the can down the road effort? The magnitude of the debt that is associated with this franchise has now become a harbinger of things to come. Even the intrepid Commissioner himself has stopped commenting on this dire situation! Bottom line: no buyers , no new arena and a team that continues to under perform for many years is finally taking a toll on the future of this franchise. Look for Andy to walk away and the league ownership will take up where it left off years ago when they attempted to put a puppet ownership in place.

Reactions: Llama19

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
From Pagnotta's last article on the subject in December (which drove most of the previous conversation, not the rumors from F40):
Source: Coyotes sale inching closer, future uncertain — The Fourth Period

Pretty definite statement on the subject of timelines I would think....... from a guy who's actually dug into things rather than taking in the various musings of message board posters.

About those "Coyotes sources".... if you mean the poster in F40, I can go back over the thread there and check but he's never really said anything about a timetable. There have been presumptive mentions of by the end of the year, and end of the season but there's never...... ever.... been a direct quote from any source on that.

So what are we left with?? Zero..... zip...... nothing has changed..... all that remains are the same "lame" presumptions made by the same people working the same "lame" narratives (since 2009).
You missed the point in your rush to judgement. As MNNumbers has stated, this interview is first that I can recall, where a Coyote source has come out and admitted that nothing is happening. He furthers that comment by stating that they do not know the form of any investment/purchase to come. Up until that statement the company line has always been that something is in the works but it is complicated and for that reason the sale will take time. Based on this latest statement, it supports the idea that there isn’t a group or groups in the process of investing.
The timeline that I mentioned is in that article, and from what was printed, all sort of deadlines were mentioned, and according to the author those dates were from credible sources. The author is the person that suggests that in his opinion there isn’t a timeline but he believes that it will get done.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
You missed the point in your rush to judgement. As MNNumbers has stated, this interview is first that I can recall, where a Coyote source has come out and admitted that nothing is happening. He furthers that comment by stating that they do not know the form of any investment/purchase to come. Up until that statement the company line has always been that something is in the works but it is complicated and for that reason the sale will take time. Based on this latest statement, it supports the idea that there isn’t a group or groups in the process of investing.
The timeline that I mentioned is in that article, and from what was printed, all sort of deadlines were mentioned, and according to the author those dates were from credible sources. The author is the person that suggests that in his opinion there isn’t a timeline but he believes that it will get done.
the reason is:

why does there need to be something done...

Arizona has the lease in place and as long as AEG/AMG, AS it will soon be known as, this isn't a point of contention....

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX

Where did you get that? He said nothing of the sort about nothing is happening. He just commented on the fact that whatever happens, is it involves keeping the team here. That doesn't mean nothing is happening.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
waffle,

Cohen said, and I am summarizing....Barroway doesn't want to be the sole owner any more. He wants to sell, but whether it's a sale of 100%, or a partnership, or an LP, hasn't been determined yet.

You seem to read that to say..."Someone is interested, but it's not clear how interested." Some of the rest of us, while we think you might be right, think that it more clearly reads, "Barroway wants out, but we don't know who might want to buy, or how much stake they want to buy....." And, that is the same as saying, "We don't know who is interested, so nothing is really happening..." That is where we are coming from.

Arena....

"Significant work remains to be done....." When no partner has yet been identified to negotiate with, "remains to be done...." can easily be interpreted to mean "We don't even know where we are starting yet." Of course, it may also mean, "We know we need an agreement with some tribes, but we don't know how much we can contribute, and so we really don't know where or when we might know something." Or, it might mean, "We are discussing things with a particular tribe group, but it's a difficult negotiation, and we will keep it private."

Of the 3, you would like to see the 3rd be true.

Which it is, we don't know. But Cohen's choice of words suggests that the 1st might be the most accurate.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
The Toyota Center would need time to bring it up to NHL Standards the ahl locker rooms and press boxes may be gone or used for something else.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Ahhh ok, I think I understand why people think this is news now.

I assumed this ownership search was going to be long and difficult because team ownership has been available for probably less money than Barroway values the team over pretty much every point in the last 10 years.

So when the "something vague is happening" reports came out I assumed AT MOST it's some guy kicking tires. More likely it was some guy going "it would be cool to own the yotes,"

I could see if you believed there was more weight to those rumours, this kind of interview is news to you, but that assumes a particular reading of very weak rumours as more than (IMO) they ever deserved.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
Ahhh ok, I think I understand why people think this is news now.

I assumed this ownership search was going to be long and difficult because team ownership could have been had for very little money over the past 10 years, and...

Well, let's just say ownership in that time has been sub-par when it comes to the value they invested in the team.

So when the "something vague is happening" reports came out I assumed AT MOST it's some guy kicking tires.

I could see if you believed there was more weight to those rumours, this kind of interview is news to you, but that assumes a particular reading of very weak rumours as more than (IMO) they ever deserved.
If we believed even a shred of the storyline coming from the team then this interview is news. Anything up to this interview always made it seem like there was a negotiation, setting of terms or due deligence going on. Did I believe it??? No , but if you were to believe the team storyline then this interview is a different revelation of fact compared to the usual. This interview confirms what I suspected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad