Phoenix CXXXVII - and the band plays on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Coyotes' Board

I was at friends house over the weekend who's pretty wealthy and well connected here in the Valley and he mentioned something about the owner of SLS Vegas buying the team. I had more than a few drinks in me by that time so I don't recall much else of the conversation.

Could it be Alex Meruelo ?

What city would get involved? I do not see that happening...

If not a city, the tribal community has been touted as the last resort (pun intended) but I think that the tribal community could manage all of that themselves...

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
His net worth is 2B

Attributed to Judge Redfeld T. Baum during the original 2009 bankruptcy hearings when he read this, from an NHL expert's own report:

To quote:

"How to make a small fortune by owning a professional sports franchise.

Start with a large fortune and buy an NHL franchise."

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Some of you are really trying way too hard to find something that isn’t there.......yet. And nostalgic quotes aren’t going to show any more light on the subject either. ;)

MMN..... that’s Morin talking. He’s not that plugged in much beyond Phoenix Metro.

Last edited:
Reactions: GuelphStormer

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Some of you are really trying way too hard to find something that isn’t there.......yet. And nostalgic quotes aren’t going to show any more light on the subject either. ;)

MMN..... that’s Morin talking. He’s not that plugged in much beyond Phoenix Metro.

Thanks, and I assume you mean this 'news' is really not news at all, but rather a reminder of what been happening for months?

Last edited:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Thanks, and I assume you mean this 'news' is ready not news at all, but rather a reminder of what been happening for months?

That’s how I see it.

The media around here pretty much take these “reports” as just another part of the process any more.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Shannon was interviewed on a local radio station and offers a few more bits of info.... big surprise is the Suns might be up for sale as well.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
If the 2 teams were under the same umbrella, it would be the only way it would work downtown.

Shannon alludes to a sale of the Coyotes could happen anytime between now and the board of governors meeting next month. While the Sun's may be a year or two. That won't align in time and if they're sold to separate owners, I still can't see the 2 sharing a building.

Reactions: Llama19

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
If the 2 teams were under the same umbrella, it would be the only way it would work downtown.

Shannon alludes to a sale of the Coyotes could happen anytime between now and the board of governors meeting next month. While the Sun's may be a year or two. That won't align in time and if they're sold to separate owners, I still can't see the 2 sharing a building.

It depends on the personalities involved. The City of Phoenix owns TSRA. But as the operator, Sarver wasn’t willing to share it with another franchise. He was getting 100% of the income and didn’t want to see any of it going elsewhere.

But put another manager in (say like AEG) and the equation changes.

UPDATE: AZ Republic has checked with the Suns and Sarver is saying the report of him selling is false.

Last edited:

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
It depends on the personalities involved. The City of Phoenix owns TSRA. But as the operator, Sarver wasn’t willing to share it with another franchise. He was getting 100% of the income and didn’t want to see any of it going elsewhere.

But put another manager in (say like AEG) and the equation changes.

UPDATE: AZ Republic has checked with the Suns and Sarver is saying the report of him selling is false.
I don’t blame him for not wanting to give some of his income up to another tenant in the arena, it hurts the bottom line and that is not good business.
This is likely a moot point, but didn’t Sarver just enter into another long term agreement with the city with the renovation of the arena? Are you suggesting that if the club was sold, it would not have a provision in the sale that would have the new owners just slide into place as arena manager as well? I would think that anyone considering the purchase of the Suns would have to include arena management as an absolute must to complete the purchase.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
From the KJZZ interview...famous last words from John Shannon...

"SHANNON: Well, you know, the the world of sports is a very small world, and I can assure you there might be writers in your market that might question my sources. I can tell you that my sources are absolutely impeccable on this story about the Coyotes. And then what came to discussion last night from another story was that yes, in fact, Mr. Sarver is quietly trying to sell the basketball team as well."

:rolleyes:

Edit: Corrected radio station...

Last edited:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Actually it was KJZZ-FM who had the Shannon interview. :rolleyes:

KJZZ is a public radio station out of Rio Solado college which is part of the Maricopa Country Community College District.

Three major commercial sports talk stations in Phoenix Metro and a campus radio station got this interview. :biglaugh:

@Fairview —- Nyah I don’t blame him either under the circumstances. Except he wanted a lot more from the city than he got for that renovation and that wouldn’t have happened without giving up something.

This is all just intriguing at the moment given who broke all of this but I’m just continuing to sit back and watch it all unfold.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
So it's one person's word over the other.

Regardless, weather Sarver sells the Sun's soon or years from now, unless the 2 are under the same ownership this won't help the Coyotes.

Even when Colangelo owned the Suns, it didn't matter who was owning the Coyotes, it wasn't viable back then and the city didn't have the clout to put the 2 together and they don't today.

Now that the renovations to the arena have been approves and the Suns contract runs through 2037 now, there's no room to accommodate the hockey team and put them in a better position than they are in GRA.

So if Mr. Shannon is so sure of this contact at the league's office, then we'll hear in the BoG meeting in less than 4 weeks.

Otherwise we'll head into the off season and the constant will remain the constant.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
There seems to be at least 3 different versions of this supposed sale of the Coyotes.

From a supposed unnamed NHL source, the search for a new owner for the team is very much alive. (implies that they are still looking)
There was a report, once again from an unnamed NHL source, that there are negotiations going on, that may or may not, result in the sale of the team..relegating Borrowaway to a minority share.(might have found someone)
And now we hear that the sale is happening and we are just days away from an annoucement.(implies they got their man) This is also from an unnamed NHL source, get your story straight guys.
And now for good measure, there is a supposed on again/off again sale of the Suns, which may or may not affect the Coyotes.
TOO FUNNY:laugh:

Last edited:

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
And even if they are for sale down the road, that price will.be between 2-2.5 billion factoring in the arena operating rights too.

Then add another 500 million for the Coyotes. I can't see how the math pens out.

Even if the new Coyotes owner buys a majority share only. Can Barroway buy a sizable share of the Suns to really put them all under one umbrella.

Having the 2 teams together is the only way the Coyotes can survive long term IMO.

Reactions: Fairview

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
There seems to be at least 3 different versions of this supposed sale of the Coyotes.

From a supposed unnamed NHL source, the search for a new owner for the team is very much alive. (implies that they are still looking)
There was a report, once again from an unnamed NHL source, that there are negotiations going on, that may or may not, result in the sale of the team..relegating Borrowaway to a minority share.(might have found someone)
And now we hear that the sale is happening and we are just days away from an annoucement.(implies they got their man) This is also from an unnamed NHL source, get your story straight guys.
And now for good measure, there is a supposed on again/off again sale of the Suns, which may or may not affect the Coyotes.
TOO FUNNY:laugh:

On again off again? Sarver has never tried to sell the suns since taking over to my knowledge.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
On again off again? Sarver has never tried to sell the suns since taking over to my knowledge.
on again off again was refering to the subject matter above. reports that the team was quietly being put up for sale followed by reports of a denial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad