Phoenix CXXVIII: The Grass is Always Greener On The Other Side Of The I-17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
In light of the recent Barroway buyout development...this should be the new thread title...

Phoenix CXXVIII: Bye, Bye Miss (the) IA Guys

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Wonder how tight everybody's lips will be about this buyout, and the apparent conflicts that preceded it.

loose-lips-sink-ships.jpg

Also that's a weak thread title

Hopefully very loose, but considering my gut is that the buyout people have more to lose than Barroway I bet we hear nothing.

Last edited:

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Wonder how tight everybody's lips will be about this buyout, and the apparent conflicts that preceded it.

loose-lips-sink-ships.jpg

Also that's a weak thread title

Hopefully very loose, but considering my gut is that the buyout people have more to lose than Barroway.

I dislike most NDAs...whether it be things like this...or other businesses that settle lawsuits/court cases without admitting guilty...

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
In light of the recent Barroway buyout development...this should be the new thread title...

Phoenix CXXVIII: Bye, Bye Miss (the) IA Guys

Llama?........... thread titles just fine.... so is I-17.... 17 California as stated above. Like... Edge of 17, Fleetwood Mac.... leave be.... done & done.... lots more threads to come.... Some old thread titles favourites.... those to come maybe new favourites the crazier, and crazier and crazier this all gets..... they didnt have any chocolate ice cream Son.... just enjoy the vanilla. Carry on. ;)

Last edited:

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
I'm sure he is. The important questions are what happens if he doesn't find one and how much time he has.

Not according to this statement from Barroway...

To quote:

"“However, as the Commissioner detailed, there is a solution at hand. We continue to champion a public-private partnership which will secure the Coyotes' future in Arizona while creating thousands of jobs and generating millions of dollars in new tax revenues for the state's General Fund...

“As a team, we continue to use all available resources to pursue this win-win solution. While we cannot and will not stay in Glendale, we will continue to push our proposed public-private partnership until we either achieve a long-term arena solution in a more economically viable location in the Valley, or we reach the point where there is simply no longer a path forward in Arizona.

At that point, as the Commissioner indicated, we will work with our partners in the League office and across the NHL to determine our next steps.”"

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...-to-leave-arizona-without-new-arena/98881006/

Barroway source (PDF): http://archive.azcentral.com/persistent/icimages/politics/Arizona_Coyotes_Statement_03072017.pdf

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Llama?........... thread titles just fine.... so is I-17.... 17 California as stated above. Like... Edge of 17, Fleetwood Mac.... leave be.... done & done.... lots more threads to come.... Some old thread titles favourites.... those to come maybe new favourites the crazier, and crazier and crazier this all gets..... they didnt have any chocolate ice cream Son.... just enjoy the vanilla. Carry on. ;)

Love vanilla...just do not like the thread title... :nod:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
This should help...

Why the Hell (no more comments) not?! Youd think they'd be popping the champagne corks, full court press conference.... See, it's stuff like this, edicts, decree's, no explanations, no details, no questions allowed that's but just one of the many problem's with this league. You telling me there isnt even going to be a Press Conference in Arizona?

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Why the Hell (no more comments) not?! Youd think they'd be popping the champagne corks, full court press conference.... See, it's stuff like this, edicts, decree's, no explanations, no details, no questions allowed that's but just one of the many problem's with this league. You telling me there isnt even going to be a Press Conference in Arizona?

They're not celebrating, or taking questions, because they know this team will be flipped in the next 8 months.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

NHL told them not to... you remember..... the guys who really own the Coyotes now.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Well a no comment isn't a denial.

Likely won't hear anything from league or team officials until it's approved sometime next week.

I'm thinking Bettman will have a press conference to cover a number of topics from the meeting and then it will be the same 'we're committed to the market and are looking at multiple arena options etc....' something to keep the press saying 'OK' and then let's see if any arena announcement or plan comes up.

Last year the ASU plan was announced mid-November but that coincided with the start of the pre-filing in the AZ legislature so who knows. I would think there would need to be something to present by the BoG meetings in mid-December otherwise, why take the Auto-renewal for 2018/19.

Mr. Barroway won't be able to put much of a dent on his new load with another 25-30 million/year loss on the way.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
"The 17" seems a little too California for my liking. :laugh:

Yeah, totally, fer sure :) , it's spreading though...when I moved to AZ from FL in the 90s, I'd visit my Orange County resident sister, and noticed it was always "the 5", "the 405", etc. Not true in Arizona, where it was "I-10", "Loop 101"

..now, though...here it's "the 10", "the 101", "the 202" more often than not.

(do people say "I-15" in Las Vegas, still? because that would be the most likely next "infected" metro area)

When I visit Florida, I do not yet hear "the 4" or "the 95", though...

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ

It's Arizona...it's too hot out to hold a press conference... :sarcasm:

But, yeah...keep it low key...have Shannon of the North make the big announcement via Twitter... :laugh:

They're not celebrating, or taking questions, because they know this team will be flipped in the next 8 months.

That is my take, too...especially when Killion addressed that Fortress Invest...er...MGG has funded Barroway's purchase...

Should make for interesting details...if there are any...

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Yeah, totally, fer sure :) , it's spreading though...when I moved to AZ from FL in the 90s, I'd visit my Orange County resident sister, and noticed it was always "the 5", "the 405", etc. Not true in Arizona, where it was "I-10", "Loop 101"

..now, though...here it's "the 10", "the 101", "the 202" more often than not.

(do people say "I-15" in Las Vegas, still? because that would be the most likely next "infected" metro area)

When I visit Florida, I do not yet hear "the 4" or "the 95", though...

They're just numbers here. Take 95, drive down 15 past the Strip, avoid 215. It makes it a little rough though, since 95 is actually 515 for the eastern half, it's almost always just 95 to most people though. 95 is a little weird since it's an east/west highway for the most part here, yet travelling westbound on 95 through downtown is actually driving on northbound 95.

I'm kind of a road geek. :)

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Well a no comment isn't a denial.

Likely won't hear anything from league or team officials until it's approved sometime next week.

I'm thinking Bettman will have a press conference to cover a number of topics from the meeting and then it will be the same 'we're committed to the market and are looking at multiple arena options etc....' something to keep the press saying 'OK' and then let's see if any arena announcement or plan comes up.

Last year the ASU plan was announced mid-November but that coincided with the start of the pre-filing in the AZ legislature so who knows. I would think there would need to be something to present by the BoG meetings in mid-December otherwise, why take the Auto-renewal for 2018/19.

Mr. Barroway won't be able to put much of a dent on his new load with another 25-30 million/year loss on the way.

Yeah...with tarped off sections for next year...this is all I see...

giphy.gif

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Love vanilla...just do not like the thread title... :nod:

I like the thread title.

The other side of I-17 covers a whole slew of potential sites they could be looking at.

If they end of in Seattle, then it's too far north to matter which side of the I-17 they're on :laugh:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Meh..... Can't confuse the out of state crowd now.

:naughty:
:wally: In my day part of it called SR39, then the Veterans Memorial & or Black Canyon Freeway.
NHL told them not to... you remember..... the guys who really own the Coyotes now.

... I dont understand TL.... are you suggesting the NHL owns this club, quite possibly has since 2009 without interruption & that this so called "buyout" is all part of an elaborate smokescreen?... well, whyever would they do that, go to such lengths? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad