Phoenix CVI: It's good to talk these things out

Status
Not open for further replies.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Seeing how this all turned out makes me want to go back through all the original ia posturing.

Like was Tindall one of the lawyers laughing at this lawsuit originally?

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
Fact still remains that none of CoG, IA or NHL want this team to move.

So let's not forget the following option:

4. Negotiate the best deal you can get with CoG and continue on with that.

Another possibility, to be sure. But I don't know if IA will want to continue playing in the arena if they aren't the arena manager after 16-17. Most NHL teams need to be the arena manager just to make a little money. I don't know how the Coyotes can do it if they aren't. They lose lots of money now when they are the manager.

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Seeing how this all turned out makes me want to go back through all the original ia posturing.

Like was Tindall one of the lawyers laughing at this lawsuit originally?

Nothing that IA said was genuine. They tried to pressure Glendale into rescinding the vote and it didn't work at all. The city had a great case and they used it brilliantly to flip the terms to their favor.

No one is going to walk back any of their comments about Bailey not passing the bar exam, or lawyers laughing at this, or any of the horse crap that came out in June. Instead, they're going to replace it with all new manure about how this helps the long term viability of the team, how this is great news for Ice Arizona and gives them flexibility, blah blah blah.

Hack Morgan insulted everyone's intelligence by sticking to the "legal experts said the Coyotes had the stronger case" line. As if the lame duck arena manager year amendment was done from a position of strength. Good one, Craig

enarwpg

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
That kind of true :laugh:

Also with the contract 2 years in length. The expansion cheques (assuming to Vegas and QC) will be cashed in to minimize the blow for IA for the 17 Million 'shortfall' (15 Less 6.5 x 2).

If IA needs to sell the team for a wash, they'll be a better position

You really think they'll need that ..... with all the cash they'll be pulling in now, ticket and or parking surcharges* going straight to IA, blah, blah, blah*, IA will not suffer anymore losses going forward AND I predict that the team will be a going concern by years end. :sarcasm:

* and whatever other amounts, if any, that suckered in the previous civic "mighty minds" to pay an extra $8.5 million annually to IA

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
They chopped the AMF to $6.5 and the lease expires on June 30, 2017

How's that for IA having the leverage :biglaugh:

Man, that is one giant bone IA threw them...

Scientists-Unearth-Largest-Dinosaur-Bones-in-Argentina-BBC-442784-2.jpg

That will put the Vegas post rumor for 2016-17 to bed for good

Actually no it doesn't since that would be around the time a Las Vegas franchise would come on-line. Now if the NHL doesn't want to accept Quebec but it wants to accept Las Vegas, this might be the route they want to go....

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
This has been a fun reunion! I look forward to the musical chairs over the next couple of years as the Coyotes and hopefully Panthers scramble for new homes with QC and Vegas off the board.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The yotes can leave next year or what? Someone help me?

The Coyotes are free and clear to leave on June 30, 2017. However, the City of Glendale can find a new arena management company (IceArizona is the current arena manager, hence the $6.5 million AMF subsidy the city pays to the team) after next season with 90 days' written notice, which is almost sure to happen given that Ian Hugh says he has pals who can do the job for a pittance.

This has been a fun reunion! I look forward to the musical chairs over the next couple of years as the Coyotes and hopefully Panthers scramble for new homes with QC and Vegas off the board.

What a pleasant sentiment.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
It looks like they can leave after 1 year or choose to stay for a 2nd year, depending on how long it takes to assemble a relocation destination.

The Coyotes are free and clear to leave on June 30, 2017. However, the City of Glendale can find a new arena management company (IceArizona is the current arena manager, hence the $6.5 million AMF subsidy the city pays to the team) after next season with 90 days' written notice, which is almost sure to happen given that Ian Hugh says he has pals who can do the job for a pittance.

What a pleasant sentiment.
Thank You. This seems like giving RayB a reprieve here.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
Fact still remains that none of CoG, IA or NHL want this team to move.

So let's not forget the following option:

4. Negotiate the best deal you can get with CoG and continue on with that.

The NHL and IA don't want them to move... right now. But IMO the 2 year term screams out that they want out in a few years rather than right now so they can maximize their benefit and have way more control over the situation.

Their biggest problem was the time crunch CoG pinned them under. They just removed that problem.

The 2 year term is the key tea leaf. The rest of the details and announcements are IMO spin and camouflage. Just my opinion.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
What's the likelihood they stay for longer than, let's say, 5+ years?

I'd say about 1.5%.

They would have to make serious bank on the HRR and the team would have to miraculously become a Cup contender in order for the proposition of staying in Arizona to be on the table. It just seems overwhelmingly obvious that two years is a placeholder until they can arrange an endgame.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I guess I'm happy, I feel bad for Arizona fans but if it means relocating to a better hockey market I'm all for it. If they move to Las Vegas however..

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
I'd say about 1.5%.

They would have to make serious bank on the HRR and the team would have to miraculously become a Cup contender in order for the proposition of staying in Arizona to be on the table. It just seems overwhelmingly obvious that two years is a placeholder until they can arrange an endgame.

Add in another possibility- they would have to field in candidates to challenge the mayor and city councilmembers up for re-election and fund their campaigns, then get them to approve a new/old AMF.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I'd say about 1.5%.

This was never about keeping teams out of Canada. It was about protecting markets like Quebec so the league could gouge them for expansion fees. Now that they have, they have no reason to fight for Arizona anymore. Very shady and low class FP.

That's it!

Ray B is Plan B! ;)
You deserve credit for being right. That meeting between RayB and the League head office was for this.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Add in another possibility- they would have to field in candidates to challenge the mayor and city councilmembers up for re-election and fund their campaigns, then get them to approve a new/old AMF.

I guarantee that the next Glendale elections will be the most highly-scrutinized in recorded history if the Coyotes are still around when they happen. Goldwater might even make a return appearance, which should satisfy all the :popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad