Phoenix Coyotes and Fox Sports Arizona agree on a 12 year Television deal

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
The news on the surface is great given the kind of agreement with Glendale. I'll need to see the $$$ before deciding if this is a good deal or not.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
The only problem is that Fox Sports Arizona is the only channel for Dbacks, Suns, Coyotes, and some College stuff. Thankfully Pac-12 Network, ESPN, and Fox Sports 1 takes a lot of the Pac-12 coverage from them. They really need to have Fox Sports Plus on regular cable setups.

Dbacks will have priority obviously, but it will be interesting to see what happens down the road with the Suns. I can't complain because I have Fox Sports +. My only issue is the joined in progress games. I HATE that. I hope they at least start the game on Fox Sports Plus then move over to regular FSN-AZ. Can't complain though, it's better than not having the games on period. Good to see every game this season will be televised. Who knows, maybe this year was just to fill in the dates, and the split between FSN-AZ and FSN-AZ+ will be better for the Coyotes in upcoming years.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Is there any kind of information out there as to how many people get the + channel compared to those that have cable but don't get it?

I know when I was living in my dorm room I had regular FSN-AZ but didn't have the + channel.

I think one thing that the owners could do is reach out to the bars around the valley, even the state. Make it a priority for them to put the games on their tv's without people having to go in and ask about it. I hated that when I would show up to a sports bar they didn't have the hockey game on unless someone requested it.

BarkingMad

Once and Future King
Oct 31, 2013
Camelot
I think one thing that the owners could do is reach out to the bars around the valley, even the state. Make it a priority for them to put the games on their tv's without people having to go in and ask about it. I hated that when I would show up to a sports bar they didn't have the hockey game on unless someone requested it.
That sucks, hopefully that will be rectified. Admittedly I'm unaware of sporting schedules in America outside of hockey, is there another of the major sports which would have regular clashes? I saw on the televised schedule that only a few games clash with the Suns, so is there something else which is taking the priority at the pubs you mentioned?

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
That sucks, hopefully that will be rectified. Admittedly I'm unaware of sporting schedules in America outside of hockey, is there another of the major sports which would have regular clashes? I saw on the televised schedule that only a few games clash with the Suns, so is there something else which is taking the priority at the pubs you mentioned?

Well, there are always clashes. You have the NBA currently, College Football, and soon College Basketball will be in full swing as well. NFL is always pretty big too, granted there is only MNF and Thursday Night Football outside of Sundays, but those will be on TVs as well. Hockey isn't normally on. I have noticed since moving down to Phoenix, it's on more so than when I was up in Flagstaff. When I would go to a bar in Flagstaff, I had to request the games to be shown, but it was a regular thing to be on down here in Phoenix.

I would say the owners could get together with those higher up with Buffalo Wild Wings, Native New Yorker, and other sports bars that are prevelant in the valley and around the state to be able to make sure they show the Coyotes games, maybe have specials running during the game, or promotions.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Too many games on AZ+, IMHO...instead of Fox AZ...
FSA press release says 47 on FSA and 23 on FSA+ ... it's not perfect, but it could be much worse. Breaks out like this:

FSA+ Games
Mon @ BUF, @ WIN, @ NYR
Tue @ EDM, vs CAL, vs DAL, vs VAN, vs WIN
Wed @ CAL, @ CAL
Thu vs BUF, vs MON, @ NAS
Fri @ VAN, @ EDM, @ COL
Sat vs CHI, vs PHI, vs ANA, vs PIT, @ DAL
Sun @ VAN, vs STL

Weekend home games are easy to attend, so scratch those 5 games.

Mon @ BUF, @ WIN, @ NYR
Tue @ EDM, vs CAL, vs DAL, vs VAN, vs WIN
Wed @ CAL, @ CAL
Thu vs BUF, vs MON, @ NAS
Fri @ VAN, @ EDM, @ COL
Sat @ DAL
Sun @ VAN

Those of us who are blessed enough to live in West Glendale :sarcasm: instead of being stuck out in Scottsdale or Tempe can get to weeknight games without too much trouble.

Mon @ BUF, @ WIN, @ NYR
Tue @ EDM
Wed @ CAL, @ CAL
Thu @ NAS
Fri @ VAN, @ EDM, @ COL
Sat @ DAL
Sun @ VAN

Sitting at home on a Saturday night watching Coyotes @ Stars moves the needle for me personally, but I'm typically not skipping social plans to watch @EDM or @COL.

Mon @ BUF, @ WIN, @ NYR
Tue @ EDM
Wed @ CAL, @ CAL
Thu @ NAS
Sun @ VAN

8 games are kinda tough to find? Not perfect, but not awful either.

http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/nhl...zona-announce-long?blockID=960617&feedID=3702

BarkingMad

Once and Future King
Oct 31, 2013
Camelot
Well, there are always clashes. You have the NBA currently, College Football, and soon College Basketball will be in full swing as well. NFL is always pretty big too, granted there is only MNF and Thursday Night Football outside of Sundays, but those will be on TVs as well. Hockey isn't normally on. I have noticed since moving down to Phoenix, it's on more so than when I was up in Flagstaff. When I would go to a bar in Flagstaff, I had to request the games to be shown, but it was a regular thing to be on down here in Phoenix.

I would say the owners could get together with those higher up with Buffalo Wild Wings, Native New Yorker, and other sports bars that are prevelant in the valley and around the state to be able to make sure they show the Coyotes games, maybe have specials running during the game, or promotions.

Thanks for the info! I do agree that the owners should do something along those lines, especially with the Arizona name change next year it makes sense to expand accessibility of the actual product also.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
All baseball content should be on FS+. It has the lowest engagement rating in sports.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
So an ownership group who has a 5 year out clause just signed a 12 year local TV contract, can this be taken as good news ownership/relocation wise?

I don't think it's related. Personally I suspect the term length is related to FS hedging their bets regarding the next Diamondbacks deal. Not that it's likely FSAZ will lose the Dbacks but their TV is up after 2014 and the price could go up big time. The last TV deal the Dbacks had was a good bargain for Fox sports because immediately after that the prices on MLB tv deals started to go through the roof.

Where as the Coyotes are a guaranteed low cost deal they can keep in the fold for a while.

23 games on plus is okay considering we are getting many more games overall televised then in the past. It would be more like 35 regular FS then 18-30 on plus before. Now with 70 total on FSAZ and plus, the 10 3tv games, and NBCSports that's every game televised. Decent step up from 3 years ago where there would be 25 games untelevised.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
All baseball content should be on FS+. It has the lowest engagement rating in sports.

I don't know, when the Diamondbacks do well their ratings do pretty well. An article from April 29, 2013:

http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/mlb...-ratings-climb-as-team-moves-u?blockID=897385

According to Nielsen Media Research, a 4.2 rating/8 share (75,709 Phoenix households) for Saturday's game made it the highest-rated television program in Phoenix for the entire day. Saturday’s game also generated the highest peak rating in Phoenix -- 6.8 rating/13 share during the 8:30 p.m. quarter-hour (122,576 Phoenix HH).

The Coyotes are at a huge disadvantage of negotiating for a TV deal unfortunately, because their ratings normally aren't that great. I think Suns pull in better than the Coyotes? I've tried to do some searching, and the most recent article I could find was for last year.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...coyotes-see-boost-in-tv-ratings.html?page=all

Coyotes ratings on Fox Sports Arizona are up 118 percent over last season’s average – 0.9 versus 0.4,†Hansen said.

Did find this on Forbes though from January 2013:

The Suns have cut ticket prices in recent years, but continue to see attendance slide at US Airways Center. Last season's 13% drop was the third straight year of decline. Fans are tuning out at home as well with local TV ratings off a league-worst 37% on FS Arizona.

I'm not surprised by the drop in Suns interest though. I wish there was a place to see local ratings for Fox Sports Arizona

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't know, when the Diamondbacks do well their ratings do pretty well. An article from April 29, 2013:

Baseball ratings are pretty worthless, though. Not nearly as many people sit there and actually watch the whole thing. Advertisers are aware of this and pay out less per viewer for MLB games.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
60 #Coyotes games will be televised on FSAZ & 13 on FSAZ Plus, reaching more than 2.5 million cable & satellite households in AZ & N.M.

https://twitter.com/cmorganfoxaz

I think that is the highest its ever been since that stupid plus channel was put into place. 8 UN-televised games is a lot.

Edit-last year they had a tv dispute so some were on other channels and 2 years ago wasnt a full year. But an article from the 11-12 season said FSN picked up 65 total games and only 36 were on the regular channel. So its a move in the right direction. No more Bubba Blade commercials (hopefully).

Last edited:

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
The accessibility of the channel is stupid but its also the lack of a true pre/post game show. It gets thrown on, most people dont know about the channel and ratings are low, then you get these stupid commercials that look like your watching Public Access.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Games not televised:

Saturday, Nov. 1: at Carolina, 5 p.m.
Thursday, Dec. 11: NASHVILLE, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Dec. 23: at Edmonton, 6 p.m.
Tuesday, Jan. 6: ST. LOUIS, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Jan. 31: at Ottawa, 1 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 1: at Montreal, 11 a.m.
Monday, March 9: NASHVILLE, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, April 7: at Calgary, 6 p.m.

Hope we don't get Nashville in the playoffs again, they may not televise it.

Last edited:

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
Saturday, Nov. 1: at Carolina, 5 p.m. (Must be a Suns/NCAA thing)
Thursday, Dec. 11: NASHVILLE, 7 p.m. (No Suns/No Clue)
Tuesday, Dec. 23: at Edmonton, 6 p.m. (Suns but what else is on?)
Tuesday, Jan. 6: ST. LOUIS, 7 p.m. (Suns but what else is on?)
Saturday, Jan. 31: at Ottawa, 1 p.m. (Suns but what else is on?)
Sunday, Feb. 1: at Montreal, 11 a.m. (Stupid, Super Bowl is hours later and nothing till).
Monday, March 9: NASHVILLE, 7 p.m. (They taking a spring break?)
Tuesday, April 7: at Calgary, 6 p.m. (Let me guess, Suns and Dbacks are golden boys).

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Non-televised games + the stupid blackout rules are evil.

/broken record post I've made for the last 7 years.

It's funny how much they touted all games last year being televised only to revert back to the same stuff this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad