Philly not as big a hockey town as it is thought to be?

mucker*

Fair enough. But everyone knows of the Devils attendence woes and I'm not sure how attendence at games in NJ would affect the reputaion of the NYR or what one has to do with the other. :amazed:

"Dragging down" would mean taking a successful franchise and tarnishing its image. The NYR already have created a tarnished image all for themselves throughout their lackluster history, and especially over the previous last 10 years.

So I'm not sure how "dragging down" equates to attendence or lack of fans in this instance. Additionally, especially considering the fact that the NYR are #6 out of the 9 profesional sports teams in the Metropolitan area, and for a city of 8 million people, having ZERO (0) public schools with varsity ice hockey programs and not to mention, just THREE (3) players born and raised in the City making it to the NHL.

How many times do I have to say their 5th close to 4th Knicks, the Nets or Devils are not more popular.
Does that make you feel good to say it?

Muttley*

How many times do I have to say their 5th close to 4th Knicks, the Nets or Devils are not more popular.
Does that make you feel good to say it?

You can say it as many times as you'd like, but the NYR television ratings clearly indicate otherwise.:sarcasm:

Even a Nets regular season game beat a NYR playoff game.

mucker*

You can say it as many times as you'd like, but the NYR television ratings clearly indicate otherwise.:sarcasm:

Even a Nets regular season game beat a NYR playoff game.

The Nets ratings were 1.1 and they draw horribley, much worse than the Rangers.
And the Rangers ratings destroyed the Knicks, so if you want to play that game do so but it's clear your looking in ever corner to discredit the Rangers and New York out of your love for the Devils.

Muttley*

The Nets ratings were 1.1 and they draw horribley, much worse than the Rangers.
And the Rangers ratings destroyed the Knicks, so if you want to play that game do so but it's clear your looking in ever corner to discredit the Rangers and New York out of your love for the Devils.

Actually, if you read the article, the combined Nets rating was higher than one of the NYR playoff games.

We know the Devils have low television ratings & poor attendence. Nobody is disputing this and it's not the issue.

The issue is that the NYR do not mean as much to New York City as the Flyers mean to the city of Philadelphia.

In fact, further evidence suggests that the NYR are very low on the NY sports landscape, and this seems to be angering some NYR fans.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
I've presented many facts
Actually, most of what you've presented consists of phrases like this:

"That's widely known."
"It's also widely acknowledged..."
"...well known hockey town..."
"... know NY is a hockey town..."

this is just some guy who hates the Rangers and is jealous because they actually support their team.
Are you aware that plenty of us challenging your statements are not Ranger haters? And not Devils lovers? And that some of us, in fact, root for the Rangers to do well?

Anybody with a brain knows you can't quantify everything
But you can quantify TV ratings.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
anyone who has spent time in new york knows they shouldnt be questioned as a hockey town, if that is indeed the question here (cant really tell what the question is sometimes). if people want to judge it by tv ratings, well since hockey has crappy ratings generally everywhere in the us i dont think its going to get you far. ive spent time in ranger country and it just seems to be a joke to question it. go to ny and listen to the talk radio - and just get a feel for it. i know people want proof but there is no such thing for measuring who loves their team more. the rangers are up there with anyone, no hockey fan would ever be disappointed living in ny, state, city, or otherwise. it has the history, the culture, the required snowfall:sarcasm: , and it has restored its pride after a over a decade of mishandling.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
A good hockey market in the US is a market in which hockey is competitive. No.1 is a dream, maybe Detroit came close to it in the late 90s and early 00s because all the other pro teams sucked but that's an aberration. The best you can hope for is the hockey team being accepted and appreciated as a major sports franchise and the league being considered a major league with everything that comes with it in terms of local media attention, expressions of fandom etc. I actually think in most of the Northern markets that is the case. Hearing that in Nashville they would rather show coverage of some local horse race than a Sharks-Wings playoff game I am not so sure about the newer markets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad