Player Discussion Phillip Varone

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Hey Sabres fans. Phillip Varone has recently been making a few splashes at sens camp and a few fans have been asking about his game. Any of you guys have any input on him?

Whats held him back from being an NHLer? What type of player is he?

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Hey Sabres fans. Phillip Varone has recently been making a few splashes at sens camp and a few fans have been asking about his game. Any of you guys have any input on him?

Whats held him back from being an NHLer? What type of player is he?

Lack of skill

CaseyMitts37

Mar 2, 2013
Buffalo
Not enough skill to be a top 6 guy and not really a guy you want in your bottom 6

Unfortunately, this has left him as an AHLer

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I think that's over-stated. He has pretty good hands and decent speed. Gives good effort too. I liked him as a depth guy tweener.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I think that's over-stated. He has pretty good hands and decent speed. Gives good effort too. I liked him as a depth guy tweener.

Agree. Given his strengths above, they're still not quite enough to overcome the fact he's also a little smallish to stick full-time in the NHL. If he had more skill, he might stick. If he was bigger with no loss of above skills, he might stick... If he was bigger with a little better hands and just a little more speed, he'd likely stick somewhere.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
He would have spurts for the Sabres where it looked like he might be a good bottom six option, but then he'd go back to being invisible for the majority of his time here. Just doesn't have the capabilities to play the NHL game on a permanent basis. Good call up option and great AHL player, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad