Phillip Joseph Kessel: 200 foot player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveV*

There have been a ton of compelling storylines so far this season, but one seems to be happening under the radar, namely Kessel becoming a complete player. Lost in the unselfishness last night, the fact Kessel is now routinely on the ice at the end of the games. Perhaps more noteworthy, when Kessel is on the ice at the end of games nobody is cringing, there is actually some confidence that he can get the job done.

Kessel is much better on the boards, using his body for positioning. Kessel is winning pucks on the forecheck, in a way I've never seen before. There was a time where you never expected Kessel to take a puck, he'd simply wave his stick in a futile effort. Now, however, he looks pesty, he's pressuring with authority, and I don't think Phil is getting the recognition.

Kessel looks like a man out there now, if that makes sense. No longer the blatant defensive liability, there is a maturity to his game, which I see as an evolution from last year's playoffs against Boston. His compete level has clearly improved.

I just have a lot more confidence in Kessel now, he is showing us things we've never really seen before, he's becoming a legit 200 foot player. I'm not saying he's Bolland or Kulemin, but a sniper, fantastic player maker, who isn't a defensive liability, man we are lucky to have him...

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Agree. Not only for not touching the puck in that last game. I dont even know if a immature, goal hungry Kessel would have done that.

SteveV*

I see a career year, particularly when you factor in intangibles. I seriously have confidence in Kessel defensively, he actually makes physical contact and even looks tenacious at times.

CellarDweller0

Feb 19, 2010
Mississauga
I see a career year, particularly when you factor in intangibles. I seriously have confidence in Kessel defensively, he actually makes physical contact and even looks tenacious at times.

Agreed. I find myself watching him in disbelief in knowing that it's Phil Kessel playing the way he is. I don't know what happened to him but he isn't taking **** from nobody. He's fighting for that puck like I've never seen before.

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
i wouldn't exactly call him a 200 foot player but his willingness to change his game and adapt is obviously a good sign. He's improved ever year since coming here. Probably why Leafs management were ok with signing for 8 more years

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Ya this guy might have touched the puck as it was rolling.

Last edited:

SteveV*

Agreed. I find myself watching him in disbelief in knowing that it's Phil Kessel playing the way he is. I don't know what happened to him but he isn't taking **** from nobody. He's fighting for that puck like I've never seen before.

You actually think he has a chance of winning the puck. I must admit, before, I looked at his forecheck as just going through the motions.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
He really has developed in an impressive way over the past few years. Of course the scoring is still amazing, but the playmaking has really come out and his two way play has surprised. He really has worked to play harder in both ends and his responsibility is growing appropriately.

Really is something to compare his early play to now.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Ya this guy might have touched the puck as it was rolling.

omg dat roster.

Jason Blake, Johnny Malkin, Ian White (who actually was solid) and Mike Komisarek?

the horrible memories.

Also, is Kessel's middle name actually Joseph? Because I'd might as well just call him Phillip J. Fry now.

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010
No, hes still slightly better than useless in his own end. Floats alot and doesnt like to engage in board battles in the defensive zone. He does in the offensive zone, but not the defensive zone.

SteveV*

No, hes still slightly better than useless in his own end. Floats alot and doesnt like to engage in board battles in the defensive zone. He does in the offensive zone, but not the defensive zone.

I honestly don't understand how anyone can say that.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
Dion still sucks too, right?

it's cool to be hate on your own players rather than be objective

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Bruins making a habit of giving up on some young players to quickly? I mean obviously you can't critique them too much because they are a great team but....

Thornton was still fairly young when they traded him for garbage. Went on to win Hart and scoring title with Sharks.

Didn't make room to sign a young Kessel, has went on to be one of the best scorers in the league.

Traded away a young second overall pick, off to a very hot start this season.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Bruins making a habit of giving up on some young players to quickly? I mean obviously you can't critique them too much because they are a great team but....

Thornton was still fairly young when they traded him for garbage. Went on to win Hart and scoring title with Sharks.

Didn't make room to sign a young Kessel, has went on to be one of the best scorers in the league.

Traded away a young second overall pick, off to a very hot start this season.

Can't say it hasn't worked out for them, even if the Thornton trade was one of the worst of all-time. That being said, they definitely have had a recent impatience with young players. Hell, if you really wanna go back even further, look at Samsonov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad