Player Discussion Phillip Danault (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I believe that we will see MB stay well under the cap this year. If it is indeed his last season as GM, he might not want to make any big moves that handcuff the new guy coming in.
I said it when talking about Price potentially being snagged, I think that if Price stays he Re-ups for 3 more to close out the era of Price, I think if he leaves they announce a transition shortly and the new GM will take over without the limitations of Weber and Price

Reactions: OldCraig71

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
I would think the habs wait on Danault until after the draft. If Price is gone they can rebuild, LTIR Weber, let Danault, Armia, etc. walk, deal for picks and prospects, tank for top picks in the next two drafts.

If Price is back they might as well pay Danault 6 mil per year, sign whoever they can back, hope Weber is back for the playoffs and go with the core.

Danault may well be overrated because of Gallagher and Price, we'll get some idea if he leaves. He may well be underrated because of the lack of transition and speed on D.
Terrible idea to resign Danault. You have to remember MB most likely isn't returning as the Habs GM. So resigning Danault and letting the next GM deal with that shit contract is such a dick move.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Danault did a great job as a 3rd line center but in a cap world he is no more than a 4m per season player.

Time to move on

Reactions: blarneylad

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
That's pretty clear to me. His clan leaked the info, and that generally doesn't please GMs and management teams. He openly pouted last summer at his press conference about how he was not going to be a strictly defensive guy. He refused a 6 years, 5M per season offer without even giving a counter offer.

So yeah. I try to think of anything Bergevin might have done wrong here, but I can't find any.
Habs leaked the asking numbers.

Reactions: Archijerej

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
8x 5.8M

For Phil...

tenor.gif
I love that guy.

Mikah

Feb 19, 2018
Still funny that info got out like what....30 minutes....and all the Engels, Marinaro or Lavoie....guys who never really broke any stories and never been able to predict anything about the Habs...all have suddenly solid infos.

Could be true.....but there's one thing the NHL is doing, they tried to keep everything under wrapped for until tomorrow night. Signing, trades, deals between Seattle and teams. But they all know he won't be back though....

So as with Price....we'll know tomorrow night.

Yea.. I can also imagine the conversation between Ron Francis and Don Meehan (Danault's agent):

RF: Dude, I am trying to get MB to spit out a few draft picks to protect Price by pretending we'll pick him. Why the heck would you go out and leak our arrangement on Danault?

DM: Oh sorry, didn't think about that. I'll call some of my buddies and say that we never talked..

Anyways... so many possibilities!! What is funny is all those 'insiders' 'leaking' informations, when we all know its either complete speculation so they can do their 'told you so' dance tomorrow and justify their following, or its them being played by the GM/agents/players to get some messages across.

Either way, I have to admit its quite a fun ride so far!! I thought we'd be discussing Byron versus Evans versus Kulak at this point..

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
If Danault is gone we gotta start thinking about 3c replacements:

UFA:
Bonino
Haula
Stastny
Wennberg

4c's and role Evans as 3
Zajac (kinda old but not bad)
Paquette
R.Nash (3/4 imo)

For Trade possibly
Dvorak (rumored available)
Gourde (Tampa needs cap)
Tierney (ufa next year)
Strome (either of the C's really)

Reactions: Archijerej

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Let's assume for fun, the Danault leak is legitimate, that would mean he's the pick, but if the beauviller news is to be believed then you could think Drouin is gone now as well

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

UFA:
Bonino
Haula
Stastny
Wennberg

4c's and role Evans as 3
Paquette
R.Nash (3/4 imo)

For Trade possibly
Gourde (Tampa needs cap)
Tierney (ufa next year)

Derrick Brassard could also be a cheap UFA option.

Reactions: TeacherMan

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Let's assume for fun, the Danault leak is legitimate, that would mean he's the pick, but if the beauviller news is to be believed then you could think Drouin is gone now as well
Pretty obvious Drouin is gone whether to a new team or retirement

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

UFA:
Bonino
Haula
Stastny
Wennberg

4c's and role Evans as 3
Paquette
R.Nash (3/4 imo)

For Trade possibly
Gourde (Tampa needs cap)
Tierney (ufa next year)

...Haula is an interesting option, imo...cheap, good 200ft player and still young...

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Drouin is gone at the first opportunity. It's being reported all over the place. The question is can we do it cost free, or we'll have to absorb a similar contract.

TeacherMan

Mar 10, 2017
...Haula is an interesting option, imo...cheap, good 200ft player and still young...

He won 55% of his face-offs last year too, which we need especially if we lose Danault. Haula looks like a 35-point per season guy. How good is he defensively? And what would it cost to get him? At 30, he's not that young.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
He won 55% of his face-offs last year too, which we need especially if we lose Danault. Haula looks like a 35-point per season guy. How good is he defensively? And what would it cost to get him? At 30, he's not that young.

...he's above average defensively and has a bit of a scoring touch...would be a cheap alternative for a couple seasons...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad