Confirmed with Link: Philippe Myers extended 1 yr 1.4mil

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
we had to do this. imagine we unlock his potential and then can't afford to sign him. the cap hit can be mostly buried if he sucks

Reactions: DaBolts and Hoek

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
He's getting less money after this season. $2.55 this year and then $1.4 with this new deal.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
After signing a backup G for next year in the 800k-900k range, the team will have 8.35-8.45 left to sign Colton, Foote, plus a 3LD(unless Fleury is the plan, which isn't great) and at least 3(preferably 4) additional forwards. Foote shouldn't get anymore than Myers at this point, but Colton is going to likely want a good #, especially if he has another 20+ goal season. Not really seeing how Tampa is going to make it fit, unless they are willing to either gamble on several elc's playing considerable minutes in '23-'24 or moving on from either Foote or Colton to open space elsewhere. I guess if Myers doesn't pan out they can trade/waive for partial to full relief, but it's still dicey with every other spot they need to fill.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
After signing a backup G for next year in the 800k-900k range, the team will have 8.35-8.45 left to sign Colton, Foote, plus a 3LD(unless Fleury is the plan, which isn't great) and at least 3(preferably 4) additional forwards. Foote shouldn't get anymore than Myers at this point, but Colton is going to likely want a good #, especially if he has another 20+ goal season. Not really seeing how Tampa is going to make it fit, unless they are willing to either gamble on several elc's playing considerable minutes in '23-'24 or moving on from either Foote or Colton to open space elsewhere. I guess if Myers doesn't pan out they can trade/waive for partial to full relief, but it's still dicey with every other spot they need to fill.
The thing I am most afraid of is for some reason Brisebois decides to re-sign Killorn.

I think the hope is Fleury finally finds some footing, Perbix slots in, and Foote gets traded. Do I think this is a good plan? No. But I think that is the hope going forward. If Perbix gets some games on the main roster and he does alright, Foote instantly become expendable in JBB's eyes. Probably at the end of the season, trade his RFA rights or in a package for something else.

IF Colton can hit another 20 goal season, he should get a similar bridge contract that Cirelli got IMO. Something around 4 to 4.5 AAV. If he regresses, obviously go down, if he improves, god help us. It might be good to sign his extension sooner rather than later.

We are going to need to fix our fourth line too. Its weird because in my eyes, its all doable and our next season really kind of relies on Perbix and Fleury.

Reactions: JTBF81

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
The thing I am most afraid of is for some reason Brisebois decides to re-sign Killorn.

I think the hope is Fleury finally finds some footing, Perbix slots in, and Foote gets traded. Do I think this is a good plan? No. But I think that is the hope going forward. If Perbix gets some games on the main roster and he does alright, Foote instantly become expendable in JBB's eyes. Probably at the end of the season, trade his RFA rights or in a package for something else.

IF Colton can hit another 20 goal season, he should get a similar bridge contract that Cirelli got IMO. Something around 4 to 4.5 AAV. If he regresses, obviously go down, if he improves, god help us. It might be good to sign his extension sooner rather than later.

We are going to need to fix our fourth line too. Its weird because in my eyes, its all doable and our next season really kind of relies on Perbix and Fleury.
Right, it's because I figured Perbix would factor in that re-signing Myers already seems strange(unless Foote is already hinting at wanting laughable figures and JBB is already planning on trading him). I have doubts on Fleury at 3LD, but perhaps he figures it out and will be able to be counted on there. If not, one of Foote or Myers needs to be gone to free up enough space for an at least semi-cimpetent 3LD.

I hope they can lock Colton up now long term in the 3 5-4 range, but he may be thinking that with one more good or improved season, he could get more than that. Since he'll be arbitration eligible and just one year left of rfa, if he's asking for a rough #, JBB may have to go the 1 year deal route and then either sign or trade him after more play/negotiating.

If Perry can continue his level of play(big if), I could see Tampa trying to keep him around for another year. Maroon is still there and whether or not PEB sticks around, 4C isn't the most difficult spot for this team to replace. I'd like to see a Tyler Motte type if not, but Motte may want too much aav and/or term(though the team was heavily interested in him at the tdl).

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.

The other issue is that once Cirelli and Bogo return from ltir, the team will be ~300k over the cap. It seems likely that either Barre-Boulet(or whomever gets that F spot), or Fleury is likely waived at that time, unless they trade one or Myers is playing so badly that he's out. If Fleury were to be waived and claimed, that's the end of him as 3LD in '23-'24.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

I think now we should try and sign Colton to an extension of 3.5 to 4.5 AVV for 3 years and get it done. No way we should sign killorn I’d rather just sign vladdy for 2-3 years at like 2 to 2.5 AVV range. But smart move extension for Myers if he plays well then he is signed cheap in 2023-2024 season and buys us more time for the NHL salary cap to increase.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Kind of weird for a player to agree to a substantial paycut before playing out the last season of his contract. Not exactly betting on himself.

Reactions: Hoek

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Does this deal lower his caphit for this year because of the average years now ? If so smart move and if he does decent he is a depth piece for next year as a 4/5/6 d on a cheap contract where we could move Foote if he doesn't take a step forward for a similar forward.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Does this deal lower his caphit for this year because of the average years now ? If so smart move and if he does decent he is a depth piece for next year as a 4/5/6 d on a cheap contract where we could move Foote if he doesn't take a step forward for a similar forward.
No it doesn’t.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Kind of weird for a player to agree to a substantial paycut before playing out the last season of his contract. Not exactly betting on himself.

I guess he could still play his way into an extension next summer? Could be one of the assurances Brisebois gave before extending him.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Whatever the reasoning may be it’s extremely rare for a team to sign a player to an extension before ever playing for them.

At the very least I would have waited until some pre-season games. The team obviously is confident he will play well enough to stick around

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Whatever the reasoning may be it’s extremely rare for a team to sign a player to an extension before ever playing for them.

At the very least I would have waited until some pre-season games. The team obviously is confident he will play well enough to stick around
And at the same time they half his AAV for 2023-24. Very rare indeed but if both sides are fine with it, whatever!

Reactions: Rschmitz

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

That happens all the time, the only thing that's weird is that he signed for a discount - the guy is looking for security over betting on himself to outperform his current contract which is weird for a 25 year old.

Huberdeau and Tkachuk both signed extensions to their new teams despite having a year left on their current contracts. Seth Jones signed an extension with Chicago after getting traded with a year left on his contract as well, none of them played a game with their new teams before signing.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
That happens all the time, the only thing that's weird is that he signed for a discount - the guy is looking for security over betting on himself to outperform his current contract which is weird for a 25 year old.

Huberdeau and Tkachuk both signed extensions to their new teams despite having a year left on their current contracts. Seth Jones signed an extension with Chicago after getting traded with a year left on his contract as well, none of them played a game with their new teams before signing.

I’m talking about players who may not even make the roster, not superstars

Reactions: Stammertime91

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
When you see the guy play you will know. He will not see much ice time be sitting in the press box wayching.

Reactions: ultra63

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Yeah, it's weird but I can see the sense in it.

The guy was waived and cleared waivers last season, which tells him in no uncertain terms that nobody wants him at his current cap hit. So accepting the pay cut could just be him being realistic.

Add to that how much the waivers might've hurt his pride, and think how it would feel when the three-time-straight Cup finalists say "we want you and we want to extend you". Could definitely react with "hell yeah I want to be where I'm wanted" -- and the money is secondary.

On top of all that, it's just one year. And Tampa might've nudged him a bit by noting we'll have a ton of available cap space when the extension ends, with Stammer coming off the books.

Reactions: DFC

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah, it's weird but I can see the sense in it.

The guy was waived and cleared waivers last season, which tells him in no uncertain terms that nobody wants him at his current cap hit. So accepting the pay cut could just be him being realistic.

Add to that how much the waivers might've hurt his pride, and think how it would feel when the three-time-straight Cup finalists say "we want you and we want to extend you". Could definitely react with "hell yeah I want to be where I'm wanted" -- and the money is secondary.

On top of all that, it's just one year. And Tampa might've nudged him a bit by noting we'll have a ton of available cap space when the extension ends, with Stammer coming off the books.
Right, but it's 1.4... which kind of means he's afraid he won't be an NHL quality player by then. That's a red flag to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad