Recalled/Assigned: Philip Broberg Recalled & Markus Niemelainen Sent to Bako 11/25/22

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It makes me wonder if this is us giving him one last shot this season to show that he's ready for the big show before we potentially deal him for someone that can?

Reactions: Oilhawks

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Decent enough first game. Didn't dominate or anything but wasn't a problem either.
It makes me wonder if this is us giving him one last shot this season to show that he's ready for the big show before we potentially deal him for someone that can?
I think it's more of a "holy hell Niems and Kulak get caved in every time they step on the ice lets try something new" issue than anything else.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Directly to blame for the first GA.

A "decent game" would be 0's across the board.
Nah, not necessarily.
If one actually watches a game boxcars are not determinative of ones plays.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I'd be surprised. Personally I think it's more the development plan with trying to onboard two young defenders at the NHL level. Yo yo up and down Nemelainen and Broberg to ensure big ice time and sharpness with developmental time in the AHL and work to onboard in small, managed minutes in the NHL.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
They would wait till the off season for that kind of move. Like many, I still do not understand why they took Broberg with that pick. I love my Swedes but we took Bouchard the year before and we knew then we were going to need help up front sooner than later. About 30 players taken in his draft year have played more games than him. I forget who I wanted--but I know i wanted a forward--just not sure from Europe or JRs--I think I passed on all the great US players that were available at that pick

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
I watched the game. He played 10 minutes and didn’t have a noticeable moment outside of being directly responsible for the first GA because he got lost in front of the net.
I give more credit to Lafresne (??) For the good spin move than crap on Broberg.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Decent enough first game. Didn't dominate or anything but wasn't a problem either.

I think it's more of a "holy hell Niems and Kulak get caved in every time they step on the ice lets try something new" issue than anything else.
lmao. Nemo is +1 on the season with low GA. Conversely bro got scored against, and was responsible for the GA occurring on his first shift.

So how is Nemo getting "caved every time he steps on the ice"

just more bs right?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
lmao. Nemo is +1 on the season with low GA. Conversely bro got scored against, and was responsible for the GA occurring on his first shift.

just more bs right?
Niemalainen is the most sheltered D we have, and still gives up scoring chances at the second most from D men, he averages less than Broberg played today.

If plus/minus means anything now, you should probably change your stance on Yamamoto.

Reactions: Giggleplex

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007

just more bs right?
Lowest average ice time among Oilers defensemen with the highest offensive zone starts and easiest quality of competition including Tyson Barrie. Last on the team in HDCF%. Last on the team in xGF%. Second last on the team in FF%. All while having the highest on ice save percentage on the team and the highest PDO on the team, largely b/c he got to miss 4 Jack Campbell starts and only had to miss 1 Skinner start. How is he not getting caved in?

He gets low, sheltered minutes (as young defensemen should) and is getting outchanced significantly with a plus minus being carried by playing with Skinner and getting to dodge a lot of Jack Campbell games.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Lowest average ice time among Oilers defensemen with the highest offensive zone starts and easiest quality of competition including Tyson Barrie. Last on the team in HDCF%. Last on the team in xGF%. Second last on the team in FF%. All while having the highest on ice save percentage on the team and the highest PDO on the team, largely b/c he got to miss 4 Jack Campbell starts and only had to miss 1 Skinner start. How is he not getting caved in?

He gets low, sheltered minutes (as young defensemen should) and is getting outchanced significantly with a plus minus being carried by playing with Skinner and getting to dodge a lot of Jack Campbell games.
Sorry I thought when you flat out said Nemo was "Caved everytime he steps on the ice" I thought you might have some kind of justification for that bold statement beyond nebulous and unsubstantiated advanced stats that are not even validated.

Niemalainen is the most sheltered D we have, and still gives up scoring chances at the second most from D men, he averages less than Broberg played today.

If plus/minus means anything now, you should probably change your stance on Yamamoto.
"Scoring chances" as tablulated by the NHL or anywhere else I've seen is gobbledegook. Call me when Nemo is actually bleeding GA or "getting caved" as the other poster suggested.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Sorry I thought when you flat out said Nemo was "Caved everytime he steps on the ice" I thought you might have some kind of justification for that bold statement beyond nebulous and unsubstantiated advanced stats that are not even validated.

"Scoring chances" as tablulated by the NHL or anywhere else I've seen is gobbledegook. Call me when Nemo is actually bleeding GA or "getting caved" as the other poster suggested.
He does have justification and stats to back it up, just because you choose to ignore it, doesnt make his argument any less worthy.

Yamamoto has been a stud this year I guess, that must hurt you.

Didnt you love using advanced stats in your arguments supporting Puljujarvi? Are they no longer valid?

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
They would wait till the off season for that kind of move. Like many, I still do not understand why they took Broberg with that pick. I love my Swedes but we took Bouchard the year before and we knew then we were going to need help up front sooner than later. About 30 players taken in his draft year have played more games than him. I forget who I wanted--but I know i wanted a forward--just not sure from Europe or JRs--I think I passed on all the great US players that were available at that pick
He'll be fine. Holland used to work in prospects slowly with Detroit. Broberg is ready for the bottom 6 duty already, was last year. But it makes more sense to give him opportunities to round his game.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He does have justification and stats to back it up, just because you choose to ignore it, doesnt make his argument any less worthy.

Yamamoto has been a stud this year I guess, that must hurt you.

Didnt you love using advanced stats in your arguments supporting Puljujarvi? Are they no longer valid?
I never use "advanced stats" grab a clue.

The advanced stats the poster is using, and many of the type have not been substantiated, proofed, validated and these metrics are devised mostly by people not even with a background/education in statistics so that theres methodological problems as well.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I never use "advanced stats" grab a clue.

The advanced stats the poster is using, and many of the type have not been substantiated, proofed, validated and these metrics are devised mostly by people not even with a background/education in statistics so that theres methodological problems as well.
Okay, without advanced stats.

Yamamoto has been a stud this year then, why do you harp on him so much. Doesnt make sense.

Niemalainen sucks, cant complete a pass, cant skate. Hes getting a 94% save when hes on the ice, which has to do with his weak quality of competition, and complete luck that hes getting games with Skinner playing good, and not with Campbell in net.

Theres a reason that even Broberg was trusted with more minutes than Niemalainen is, and Niemalainen has played 15 games this year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Okay, without advanced stats.

Yamamoto has been a stud this year then, why do you harp on him so much. Doesnt make sense.

Niemalainen sucks, cant complete a pass, cant skate. Hes getting a 94% save when hes on the ice, which has to do with his weak quality of competition, and complete luck that hes getting games with Skinner playing good, and not with Campbell in net.

Theres a reason that even Broberg was trusted with more minutes than Niemalainen is, and Niemalainen has played 15 games this year.
I haven't mentioned Yama once in this exchange and have rarely mentioned him this season. Whatever.

lol at the bolded. Way to tell me you don't comprehend stats without telling me. The average save % would be 91. 94 is not even a statistically significant difference and especially this early in a season and with such limited sample. In anycase good or even decent D have BETTER than average save % and I would expect them to. You don't comprehend much.

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I haven't mentioned Yama once in this exchange and have rarely mentioned him this season. Whatever.

lol at the bolded. Way to tell me you don't comprehend stats without telling me. The average save % would be 91. 94 is not even a statistically significant difference and especially this early in a season and with such limited sample. In anycase good or even decent D have BETTER than average save % and I would expect them to. You don't comprehend much.
You're the only one who thinks Niemalainen is good defensively.

He gets the easiest matchups, and is just riding a high save %
YoU doNt' comPrEhEnd MuchA!!@!@!

You're using plus minus to justify that hes good defensively, says all I need to know about what you comprehend.

I guess its easy to act like you comprehend everything when you just ignore every counter argument.

For being such a stud defensively, you'd think he would get more than 8 minutes 5on5 a night.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trafalgar Sadge Law

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

You're using plus minus to justify that hes good defensively, says all I need to know about what you comprehend.

I guess its easy to act like you comprehend everything when you just ignore every counter argument.

For being such a stud defensively, you'd think he would get more than 8 minutes 5on5 a night.
Got your heels dug in and bored eh?

Never said Nemo was that good. I had responded, and you know this, to a bizarre statement that he bleeds anytime he's on the ice. Considering he rarely gets scored against still waiting for substantiation of that position.

Nemo is a physical defender that looks after the area around his own net. One would think some of what we need in the lineup.

Reactions: Aerchon

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
Got your heels dug in and bored eh?

Never said Nemo was that good. I had responded, and you know this, to a bizarre statement that he bleeds anytime he's on the ice. Considering he rarely gets scored against still waiting for substantiation of that position.

Nemo is a physical defender that looks after the area around his own net. One would think some of what we need in the lineup.
You have your heels just as "dug in" about Nemo being better than he does about Nemo being worse.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You have your heels just as "dug in" about Nemo being better than he does about Nemo being worse.

Imagine how awful it is for me to defend Nemo from too harsh and undue criticism. No horse in the match. Just that the Oilers could use a physical D right now. The main problem is GA and granting free passage around net. Thats less of a problem when Nemo is in the lineup. He's one of the few D we got that will take the man instead of waving at pucks.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Niemelainen is a solid bottom pairing rookie defender. He hasn't been as good as I hoped but he design isn't getting turn styled regularly either.

Broberg has sucked this year in the NHL preseason and yesterday. Supposedly he was injured and no one knew it... whatever. I hope he develops and develops quick.

But right now, with limited sample sizes for both, Niemelainen is better than Broberg.

This move was a desperate one and maybe helped lite a fire under our underperforming depth like Bouchard and Holloway. If Broberg continues to suck tho I hope they reverse this change asap.

Niemelainen needs NHL time to develop while providing a somewhat useful nhler. Broberg... you just can't play someone struggling as bad as he has been to start this year. A full year in the AHL won't hurt Broberg and will most likely help the Oilers.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
Imagine how awful it is for me to defend Nemo from too harsh and undue criticism. No horse in the match. Just that the Oilers could use a physical D right now. The main problem is GA and granting free passage around net. Thats less of a problem when Nemo is in the lineup. He's one of the few D we got that will take the man instead of waving at pucks.
I'm not saying you're wrong in defending him i'm just saying you can't go after someone for "digging their heels in" when you do the same thing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad