Rumor: Philadelphia wanted a 1st rounder, or specific prospect to take Joseph from Ottawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Waiving Joseph doesn't clear enough space to sign Pinto. Friedman said market was around $2.5M for Pinto.

And there's only like 6 teams that will have the cap space to take on Joseph, Kubalik, or Brannstrom. And most of those teams already have their lineups basically set.

It will be interesting to see how Dorion handles this cap situation in a season where his job is possibly on the line and the Sens will be pushing hard to slip into the playoffs.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Waiving Joseph doesn't clear enough space to sign Pinto. Friedman said market was around $2.5M for Pinto.

And there's only like 6 teams that will have the cap space to take on Joseph, Kubalik, or Brannstrom. And most of those teams already have their lineups basically set.

It will be interesting to see how Dorion handles this cap situation in a season where his job is possibly on the line and the Sens will be pushing hard to slip into the playoffs.

Don't the Sens already have 900K or close to it? so if they waive Joseph and Bury 1.2 of his salary that takes them to 2.1, maybe 2.2.

That gets them close

I mean yeah, he's a 20 point player making 3 mill for 3 more years. That's not going to be cheap

But a 1st rounder is still to much

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
It's the length of the contract more than the AAV that hurts, in this case.

I think a first ends up making sense, perhaps the lesser of their two picks in '24 ?

Frankly, I'd like to see my Habs make that deal, maybe just after game 1 so only in-season LTIR applies, rather than starting the season on LTIR. Still, it ends up being a lot of dead cap for whoever gets him.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Don't the Sens already have 900K or close to it? so if they waive Joseph and Bury 1.2 of his salary that takes them to 2.1, maybe 2.2.

That gets them close

But a 1st rounder is still to much
Capfriendly has them with $121k in cap space with Joseph. Only Sanderson has waiver exemption, so it's a tight situation.

I think Sens fans would prefer to just dump Kubalik or Brannstrom for free. The question is if there are any takers out there who have the cap space.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Don't the Sens already have 900K or close to it?
Can only bury 900K, I believe.

Unless that changed. Maybe it did.

No, it's gone up, I'm not exactly sure what it is this season but it's gone up

The rule is minimum NHL salary + 375K. The minimum salary this year is 775K, so up to 1.15 mil (per contract) can be buried.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Can't hurt to try waiving him and worst case bury the $1.15M of his contract. He wasn't a bad player before last season? But probably still nobody will take his contract with the term remaining, even so. But you certainly at least give that a go before trying to pay somebody a 1st to take him, anyway. Just in case somebody would take him on waivers. Highly unlikely as it may be.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Capfriendly has them with $121k in cap space with Joseph. Only Sanderson has waiver exemption, so it's a tight situation.

I think Sens fans would prefer to just dump Kubalik or Brannstrom for free. The question is if there are any takers out there who have the cap space.

Branstrom is 2 million for 1 year that shouldn't be to difficult

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If that's the price, that's the price. Unless some other team is willing to take less, what other options does Dorion have?

Find another way, that's simply to much.

Start by waiving Joseph that's 1.1 right there, it's not enough but it gets you probably half way there.

Reactions: Altimus

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I’m as happy to see Ottawa jammed up as the next guy but how is this system functioning when a rebuilding team on the up and up is already cap strapped? This hard cap is hurting everyone.
Yeah. I've always said that the cap is way too restrictive. Good organizations shouldn't just lose guys because of one or two bad decisions. No one is going to get everything right.

The fact that you rush a guy to a second contract in hopes he can make less money is so bad for the players. They really need to get something else figured out.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Branstrom is 2 million for 1 year that shouldn't be to difficult
First, one of the 7 teams with $2M cap space have to want to take him on.

Second, they would have to replace Brannstrom with Kleven or Thomson, weakening the defense in a pretty critical year where every point matters for getting into the playoffs.

Third, Pinto would still have to sign for $2.3M or less, which is apparently a little below market.

Fourth, they'd still be running a 21-man roster.

The stronger move short and long term might be biting the bullet, paying to dump Joseph and bringing in cheaper talent to flesh out the roster. But it depends on the cost.

Reactions: PainForShane
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad