OT: Philadelphia Phillies: Feels Like Another Listless Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
They'll trade Nola, he'll play for a better defensive team, the results will normalize and people will go ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

Look at these numbers and tell me what doesn't belong? His ERA is two runs higher than the average of those guys!

View attachment 467198

Yeah for sure we have had bad defense. But will this rly change in the future. Our "best" prospect Bohm is also bad at d. And why are other pitcher with the same bad defense behind them better than Nola?

As i said iam a rookie in Baseball but i lost a lot of trust in him in my 3 years viewing him.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Probably. Nola, Wheeler, Segura, Herrera and Hoskins should be traded to the highest bidders and then they should try and sign some big name guys. IDK how much money that frees up but if you get some high end prospects for them even if they are not MLB ready there are a ton of good FAs this year. Break the bank on a guy like Seager or Correa, maybe go after Schwarber. Sign a guy like Canha then go after one or two of the bigger pitchers (Rodriguez, Matz, etc.)

Roll with something wild like this:

C - JT
1B - Canha
2B - Segura
SS - Seager/Correa
3B - Bohm
LF - Schwarber
CF - ???
RF - Harper

Matz
Rodriguez
Gibson
Efflin
Suarez

Boom. Reload the farm system and keep the here and now a possibility. Before anyone says this is impossible I just made these moves in The Show and worked without issue so shut up.

I would not break the bank for 1 player. We have done that already with Wheeler, MVP and our Realmuto..
We need also cheap reliable hitters. If we would have had them this season we would have made the playoffs easily. Harper would have hit easy.over 100 RBI and Hoskins would also be a lot more effective with more batters at base. I would trade Nola and invest in 2 new Starters. But at the batters spots i wouldnt break the bank. Just sign reliable solid players with good to very good defense.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I would not break the bank for 1 player. We have done that already with Wheeler, MVP and our Realmuto..
We need also cheap reliable hitters. If we would have had them this season we would have made the playoffs easily. Harper would have hit easy.over 100 RBI and Hoskins would also be a lot more effective with more batters at base. I would trade Nola and invest in 2 new Starters. But at the batters spots i wouldnt break the bank. Just sign reliable solid players with good to very good defense.
The problem is IDK really what these guys are looking for and what the Phillies budget is. I do think getting a Seager or Correa is worth it, and assuming Hoskins is out getting someone like Canha for a year or two is as well. Go after that reliable hitter for CF or maybe just roll with Mickey Mantle Moniak or Hasely if that's an option and hope that the rest of the lineup covers for them (or that they improve to starter level, which seems unlikely for Moniak but Hasely was seeming like a good option until he stepped away...what's going on with him anyway nowadays?).

I don't see anyone from within making a big impact in any way this year other than Suarez being a potentially 2-3 guy in the rotation. Get one MLB starting player in one of the trades for the big names and the rest prospects with upside. Overhaul the current roster AND add ammo to the rebuild without giving anything up for the future. Pitching takes a hit losing Wheeler and Nola (even though Nola falls apart at the end of every season), but long term prospects and young(ish) guys like Seager or Correa added to the offense is big. I highly doubt they do anything this drastic but if that's the direction I would head.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I'm sure there's elements of truth behind the fielding, but watching every Nola start... It may not show up in FIP or xFIP... but Nola gets RATTLED by things outside of his control. Yea, a fielder makes an error and that's not his fault, or an umpire doesn't give him a call leading to a walked batter or missed strike-out. How a pitcher responds to THAT is part of their makeup as well.

Sure. The inning SHOULD have been over and you can go into statistics and should have's and say "these runs wouldn't have occurred because the inning should have been over, this play should have been made, etc..." but how a player responds to adversity is part of playing sports as well.
I'd agree if he hadn't done it before but he has. Pivetta, VV, etc. would fit your description and I'd agree some pitchers can't stop the bleeding, but this is a pitcher who has been a borderline-ace for 3+ seasons in the prime of his career. I haven't been balls deep in every start, especially recently, but it felt like there was a least one blooper a game that scored a run or extended an inning. He gave up a ton of two strike hits and that factored into his results, but is that real or flukey? I'm not saying it was all bad luck, but I tend to trust the predictive measures rather than the Sports Talk Radio hot takes.

I'd be more concerned if he wasn't missing bats or not throwing strikes and getting results (Archie Bradley earlier in the year). Those are the two most important things a pitcher can do and he's among the best in baseball at both. Dig into the numbers, I don't see anything glaring. His velocity has held steady for 4 seasons or so. The pitch mix isn't drastically different. Avg EV is steady. The only thing that stands out is his ground ball rate was way down from his career norm. Maybe he goes back to throwing his sinker more. More sinkers means less flyballs and less HRs, but also fewer strikeouts and more balls in play for a team that likely won't be good defensively again. Pick your poison. Or trade him. I just know if he goes to San Diego he'll have a mid-2s ERA.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.

Thanks a lot, Phillies.

9CC9F2CC-EF06-486A-A081-66DA8725328C.jpeg

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
The Jays, who were must watch TV through most of the stretch run, are now trying to choke away a 6-0 lead in the 8th against Baltimore.

6-4 now, bases loaded, 2 out.

... and the Jays survive the inning with no further damage.

Reactions: Tripod

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
The strike-outs for Ranger were a mixed blessing last night since it ran up his pitch count. No pitcher in baseball had back to back shut-outs this year and he had a shot at it... but 100+ pitches after 7 innings was obvious take him out territory. If he had managed to get to the 9th and was at 104 in his last start of the year maybe you let him go out there for the chance with the bullpen ready.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
After Sunday it's going to be sayonara for a lot of this team. Harper, Wheeler, Realmuto, Suarez will be back. After that anything goes. I expect Dombrowski to make some surprising trades and big time FA signings. This sloppy can't field, inconsistent hitting, fundamentally flawed club of the unvaccinated isn't coming back. Besides being poor at their profession, they're unlikable. A tough sell to the fans.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Ranger has pitched a little over 100 innings this year, so not a super small sample size but still need to see more. That being written a potential of him and Wheeler is promising.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
What's the plan if Nola is traded? The options in UFA don't seem much better, at a glance. I'd bet that Nola offers more upside and certainty than a few of those guys at the top. The Phillies also can't trade for a decent SP.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
can they just..ya know..forfeit tomorrow...i mean it looks like they already packed up for the off season

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
can they just..ya know..forfeit tomorrow...i mean it looks like they already packed up for the off season
They should since then it'll mean the last 3 full seasons their win totals would have been
80 wins
81 wins
82 wins(this year)

Reactions: trostol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad