OT: Philadelphia Phillies: 2017 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This team is looking like the Flyers (and Sixers and the Eagles with Wentz), maybe a couple years away, but worth watching for the good young players and how they develop.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The Indians are doing some crazy things right now. They've only trailed in 4 of the 189 innings during their streak.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If you put a good lineup together that's plus both offensively and defensively, you just need an average starting group and a deep bullpen to win a lot of games.

This OF group, plus Crawford and Kingery, as well as the current IF, can all play defense. And hopefully they'll hit as well.

In that case, Klentak can just keep stockpiling young arms and hope a few pan out.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Hoskins is doing something that can't be duplicated. However there is a lot he's doing that is sustainable,

His walk to K ration is 26:28. He can definitely keep that up.

He sees a ton of pitches, that will stay.

Basically he's punishing the ball. Who knows if he can consistently hit 30-40 bombs, the guy has a really great swing, his timing is outstanding and he doesn't chase bad pitches. That equation usually equals to hitting extra base hits, his are just going out of the park right now.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Tuesday's game Hoskins saw double the amount of pitches in the same number of at bats compared to Franco I believe. He is a professional hitter.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Hoskins is doing something that can't be duplicated. However there is a lot he's doing that is sustainable,

His walk to K ration is 26:28. He can definitely keep that up.

He sees a ton of pitches, that will stay.

Basically he's punishing the ball. Who knows if he can consistently hit 30-40 bombs, the guy has a really great swing, his timing is outstanding and he doesn't chase bad pitches. That equation usually equals to hitting extra base hits, his are just going out of the park right now.

That seems like a realistic possibility. Right now he's on a pace for 80-90. Less realistic :laugh:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He's an extreme fly ball hitter in one of the friendliest HR parks for RH hitters. Unless there is a dramatic change in the balls the other way, I don't know how he doesn't hit 30+ over a full season.

Btw remember that conversation a few weeks ago about not have a future 3 hole hitter...I think we found one.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
He's an extreme fly ball hitter in one of the friendliest HR parks for RH hitters. Unless there is a dramatic change in the balls the other way, I don't know how he doesn't hit 30+ over a full season.

Btw remember that conversation a few weeks ago about not have a future 3 hole hitter...I think we found one.

But some of his home runs would be out in ANY stadium, he's not hitting wall scrappers.

Also:

HOME HR'S: 9
AWAY HR'S: 8

Hard to spin the "home run park" angle

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
What angle am I spinning? CBP is one of the best parks to hit in for RH power hitters. He's going to play half his games there a year. That's a fact.

He's going to benefit from that and that's why I said I don't see how he doesn't hit 30+ a year.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Hip Hip!

Destroyed that ball. If this guy ever figures out how to pull and lift the ball consistently, he'll be a monster. He hits the ball so hard.

edit: longest HR of the year for Phillies- 459 feet

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad