SaveHextall

Nov 21, 2006
Westchester, NY
1. Brown
2. Schultz
3. Berube
4. Wilson
5. Holmgren

Not saying he's close and prob not even Top 10 but Terry Carkner was always entertaining to watch go.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
The Animal was the best. My beloved Danbury Trashers of the old UHL brought him in for some games in the team's first season. There was even a video skit of our GM bringing him featuring The Undertaker's theme. If you guys love fighters look up highlights of that team, it was literally like Slapshot come to life.

For a year or two it was crazy. I have some stories that are just to funny to say the least.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Big Bad Behn Wilson was easily the "Best" fighter in Flyers history. I don't think I saw him lose one ever. He usually started a little slow, except when he threw a one punch KO, get his in the face a couple times, wake up and get a psychotic smile on his face and then utterly destroy his opponent. I saw him wreck Clark Gillies, I don't think anybody else ever did that. He was the best fighter, but not the most prolific, that would be Dave the Hammer Schultz. The guy who held the title of Flyers heavyweight champion the longest was Dave Brown. But Brownie lost quite a few to the best tough guys in the league, he also beat some of those guys. Tocchet and Bridgeman were great middleweight fighters, probably the best in the league in their time. They could beat most of the heavyweights as well. Cochrane was easily the most entertaining fighter in Flyers history, as he routinely lost his jersey and all of his upper body pads when he fought, and yes, he won a good majority of the time. Brashear had his moments, but he couldn't beat the leagues best and wasn't here long enough.

We can't be thinking of the same Dave Brown, most of the tough guys in the league were terrified of him. I don't think he lost many and could be the toughest and most feared heavyweight of any era. Big scary lefty that no one wanted a piece of.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
We can't be thinking of the same Dave Brown, most of the tough guys in the league were terrified of him. I don't think he lost many and could be the toughest and most feared heavyweight of any era. Big scary lefty that no one wanted a piece of.

+1
I am glad you posted so I know it's not just me. Scary part about Brown is I think he did some of his best work as an Oiler but I do not remember him losing many.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
watching the "Last Gladiators" and mark napier was talking about Chris Nilan ONE-PUNCHING Behn Wilson? wtf? looked for it on youtube but could only find video of Wilson pummeling Nilan in a couple fights...could be wrong but doubt it even happened.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
watching the "Last Gladiators" and mark napier was talking about Chris Nilan ONE-PUNCHING Behn Wilson? wtf? looked for it on youtube but could only find video of Wilson pummeling Nilan in a couple fights...could be wrong but doubt it even happened.

Yeah, I called bullshart on that too. Don't remember it happening and couldn't find anything on it either.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
My favorite Brown moment was when he performed some much needed pest control on Tomas Sandstrom and the NY media freaked out.

Also a randon Nilan story: when I was 10 I got my picture taken with him like we were fighting. My dad got it blown up and later we got him to sign it. He signed it "Mike, thanks for the black eye! Your pal, Knuckes". Know it's still somewhere in my Mom's house, have to try and find it.

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
I've seen the entire careers of both Dave Brown and Behn Wilson and for what I witnessed, although Brown was a great fighter, he was no Behn Wilson, who was by far the best fighter I have ever seen, Flyer or not.

I remember Rick MacLeish bloodying Detroit's Henry Boucha. Boucha used to rock a headband when he played and The Hawk destroyed him thoroughly.

No love for the brief tenures of Nick Fotiu, Al Secord or Ed "Boxcar" Hospodar? (kidding) Mark Recchi and Patrick Sharp could also both throw hands for their size.

Worst Flyers fighter of all time? That's so very easy to answer: Mike Busniuk. He was 6'3", 200 lbs. and was poleaxed in every fight he took part in. I'm sure he's a decent dude, but I hated Busniuk the player.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
I've seen the entire careers of both Dave Brown and Behn Wilson and for what I witnessed, although Brown was a great fighter, he was no Behn Wilson, who was by far the best fighter I have ever seen, Flyer or not.

I remember Rick MacLeish bloodying Detroit's Henry Boucha. Boucha used to rock a headband when he played and The Hawk destroyed him thoroughly.

No love for the brief tenures of Nick Fotiu, Al Secord or Ed "Boxcar" Hospodar? (kidding) Mark Recchi and Patrick Sharp could also both throw hands for their size.

Worst Flyers fighter of all time? That's so very easy to answer: Mike Busniuk. He was 6'3", 200 lbs. and was poleaxed in every fight he took part in. I'm sure he's a decent dude, but I hated Busniuk the player.
Busniuk was a gamer but he was brutal.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Brownie lost badly to Dave Cement Head Semenko and Marty McSorley, and IIRC, Bob Probert among others during his early career. He had some great fights with little George McPhee who was a great little fighter (Brownie won those because of his size). Most of his losses were early in his career, late in his career for about two years Brownie may have been the heavyweight champ, and really didn't get a lot of takers. Wilson was probably the best fighter in the league from his rookie season on, although he did not fight much. Players knew, just leave Wilson alone and he will sleep walk through games, make some eye opening plays, turn the puck over occasionally and not be real aggressive unless provoked. In essence let the sleeping polar bear sleep.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Brownie lost badly to Dave Cement Head Semenko and Marty McSorley, and IIRC, Bob Probert among others during his early career. He had some great fights with little George McPhee who was a great little fighter (Brownie won those because of his size). Most of his losses were early in his career, late in his career for about two years Brownie may have been the heavyweight champ, and really didn't get a lot of takers. Wilson was probably the best fighter in the league from his rookie season on, although he did not fight much. Players knew, just leave Wilson alone and he will sleep walk through games, make some eye opening plays, turn the puck over occasionally and not be real aggressive unless provoked. In essence let the sleeping polar bear sleep.

Brown lost to Probert when he was in EDM but that no shame losing to the best. Semenko just held on for life. He looked like a human seat belt. McPhee had battles with Tocchet not brown.

I agree Wilson was probably the better fighter but he just didn't fight as often which made sense since he was a top 4 dman.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Brown lost to Probert when he was in EDM but that no shame losing to the best. Semenko just held on for life. He looked like a human seat belt. McPhee had battles with Tocchet not brown.

I agree Wilson was probably the better fighter but he just didn't fight as often which made sense since he was a top 4 dman.

There was one game where there was a scrum and Wilson grabbed Keith Magnuson who clearly wanted no parts of Big Behn. Wilson started yelling right in Mags face then just murdered him. It's just to bad Wilson did not play his "A" game every night. Does anyone remember Dave Hoyda? He tried to live up to his jersey number(8).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad