Philadelphia Flyers Top 5 Enforcers of All Time

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The Glen Cochrane mention seems a bit off. I feel like even a guy like Brashear was more prominent than him.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
The Glen Cochrane mention seems a bit off. I feel like even a guy like Brashear was more prominent than him.

Mark Howe has often cited Glen Cochrane as one of his most important teammates. One of Bob McCammon's best moves was to pair the two. Howe was generally run when with the Whalers. That didn't happen too often when Cochrane was on the ice. Howe eventually developed his defensive skills and overall game much while Cochrane was his pairing. He has attributed as much to Cochrane.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
1. Dave brown
2. Behn Wilson
3. Donald brashear
4. Glenn cochrane
5. Paul holmgren.

So many good ones but I'll take these 5.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Mark Howe has often cited Glen Cochrane as one of his most important teammates. One of Bob McCammon's best moves was to pair the two. Howe was generally run when with the Whalers. That didn't happen too often when Cochrane was on the ice. Howe eventually developed his defensive skills and overall game much while Cochrane was his pairing. He has attributed as much to Cochrane.

Fair enough

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Bob Kelly is a guy I'd put up there. Brashear, Wilson, Berube, Brown. Schultz obviously. Some fringe guys that were here only momentarily like Dan LaCroix was one of my favorites for a little bit but obviously not one of the all-time bests. We've had a lot over the years. Frank Bialowas but he was a Phantom, another classic.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
The Flyers have a lot of really good fighters to choose from but how the hell do you have a top 5 without Behn Wilson and Rick Tocchet?

I guess you have to put Schultz in the top 5 because he was the face that changed the Flyers brand but no way you can have Big Jack or Cochrane ahead of Tocchet or Wilson. Hell, I would put Dave Richter ahead of Big Jack. Brash was great but it's no shame in not making the Flyers top 5 -7.

1. Brown - probably the 2nd best of all time behind Probert.
2. Wilson - destroyed some of the top fighters in the league and took a regular shift on d.
3. Tocchet - beat all of the top PFs during his time (Shanny, Neely, Wendel Clark, Gary Roberts)
4. Berube - fast hands and one of few fighters to have more wins then losses vs Probert
5. Schultz - reason stated above but Bridgman, Cochrane and Homer Were probably better.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Lindros didn't fight many HWs but with his size strength and balance he could've been the best easily

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I'd have to give the nod to Wilson because he is one of the craziest people in hockey history and you just don't mess with crazy (my favorite Wilson story is that he lived on a diet of Spaghetti O's).

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Bob Kelly is a guy I'd put up there. Brashear, Wilson, Berube, Brown. Schultz obviously. Some fringe guys that were here only momentarily like Dan LaCroix was one of my favorites for a little bit but obviously not one of the all-time bests. We've had a lot over the years. Frank Bialowas but he was a Phantom, another classic.

I was busting Frank's chop one night and he just tapped me on the arm and let me tell you his hands are like steel. Shame for him he hurt his knee just when he was called up to replace Domi when Domi was out for awhile. I have a CD of all of Frank's fights and he fought Brashear three times with two clear wins and a draw. He had to chase Donald around before he would fight him. I do not have Brashear in my top five, he almost does not make my top ten. We had a lot of tough guys over the years. The Hammer is #1, but Wilson's rookie year was amazing. He clearly wanted to send a message around the league. No love for Paul Holmgren around here?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I was busting Frank's chop one night and he just tapped me on the arm and let me tell you his hands are like steel. Shame for him he hurt his knee just when he was called up to replace Domi when Domi was out for awhile. I have a CD of all of Frank's fights and he fought Brashear three times with two clear wins and a draw. He had to chase Donald around before he would fight him. I do not have Brashear in my top five, he almost does not make my top ten. We had a lot of tough guys over the years. The Hammer is #1, but Wilson's rookie year was amazing. He clearly wanted to send a message around the league. No love for Paul Holmgren around here?
The Animal was the best. My beloved Danbury Trashers of the old UHL brought him in for some games in the team's first season. There was even a video skit of our GM bringing him featuring The Undertaker's theme. If you guys love fighters look up highlights of that team, it was literally like Slapshot come to life.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
Jeff Chychrun was solid until the Troy Crowder incident. I will never forget his rookie year when he fought Probert twice in the same game and actually had a slight advantage in the second tilt.

Always liked Dan Kordic. Fought a good number of the top guys. The thing with Dan was he always held his own. Rarely did he dominate a scrap, but on the other hand, he rarely got dominated. Very good fighter.

Worst fighter of all time - Greg Smyth. He tried so hard, but lost probably 90% of his fights. Anyone remember the Bruins game where he came out of the penalty box to challenge Lyndon Byers? He was something else.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I always like Riley Cote. He was like Rinaldo in a lot of ways. Undersized but would fight anyone. Cote was a better fighter than Rinaldo though. Is he still coaching in LHV?

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Jeff Chychrun was solid until the Troy Crowder incident. I will never forget his rookie year when he fought Probert twice in the same game and actually had a slight advantage in the second tilt.

Always liked Dan Kordic. Fought a good number of the top guys. The thing with Dan was he always held his own. Rarely did he dominate a scrap, but on the other hand, he rarely got dominated. Very good fighter.

Worst fighter of all time - Greg Smyth. He tried so hard, but lost probably 90% of his fights. Anyone remember the Bruins game where he came out of the penalty box to challenge Lyndon Byers? He was something else.

I always thought Scott Daniels was a horrible fighter. I liked Dave Richter Daryl Stanley even though they neither was here for long.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Worst fighter of all time - Brandon Manning. He tried so hard, but lost probably 90% of his fights.

Fixed ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Big Bad Behn Wilson was easily the "Best" fighter in Flyers history. I don't think I saw him lose one ever. He usually started a little slow, except when he threw a one punch KO, get his in the face a couple times, wake up and get a psychotic smile on his face and then utterly destroy his opponent. I saw him wreck Clark Gillies, I don't think anybody else ever did that. He was the best fighter, but not the most prolific, that would be Dave the Hammer Schultz. The guy who held the title of Flyers heavyweight champion the longest was Dave Brown. But Brownie lost quite a few to the best tough guys in the league, he also beat some of those guys. Tocchet and Bridgeman were great middleweight fighters, probably the best in the league in their time. They could beat most of the heavyweights as well. Cochrane was easily the most entertaining fighter in Flyers history, as he routinely lost his jersey and all of his upper body pads when he fought, and yes, he won a good majority of the time. Brashear had his moments, but he couldn't beat the leagues best and wasn't here long enough.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site

Spot on on Kordic and Chychrun.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Schultz was legendary but man, never saw someone like Brown. His fights were brutal and devastating, because of being a lefty and so tall.

But Tocchet really has to be on the list.

I'd go

1. Brown
2. Schultz
3. Wilson
4. Tocchet
5. Brashear

SaveHextall

Nov 21, 2006
Westchester, NY

I'd like to nominate Claude Boivin and Riley Cote here as well lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad