Philadelphia Flyers own prospect pool full of gritty forwards and mobile defensemen

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
tyrell_goulbourne_kelown_030814.jpg
Photo: Gritty forward Tyler Golbourne began the 2014-15 season strong, with four goals and two assists through his first six games. (courtesy of Marissa Baecker/Getty Images)

The Philadelphia Flyers used the 2014 NHL Draft to add to their main area of depth – defense. The Flyers also added some forwards and picked up several underrated players who may turn out to be draft day steals.

While the defensive prospect pool is strong, the Flyers do not have a particularly strong group of left wing prospects. Philadelphia also lacks depth at goalkeeper and center – with only two players in each position.… read more

The post Philadelphia Flyers own prospect pool full of gritty forwards and mobile defensemen appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
The talent level drops off from Morin and Gostisbehere to the rest of the defensemen. But Travis Sanheim, Philadelphia’s first round pick in the 2014 draft, is next on the list.

Wrong. I certainly disagree with this, as do many people in this forum. I'd say the general consensus amongst the guys on this forum that watch a lot of the prospects games is that he is easily on there talent level. You'd even get a small but growing amount of people around here saying he's our best prospect.

At the bottom of the defensemen depth pool are Nick Luukko, Terrance Amorosa, Brandon Manning, Maxim Lamarche, Matt Konan, Mark Alt, and David Drake.

Alt is lumped in with this group? I don't know, maybe. But he's usually held in a little higher regard than that. :dunno:

There is a real solid amount of guys in this forum that follow the Flyers prospects closer than probably anywhere else. I just think you get a more accurate gauging by reading the prospects thread here than by reading these articles and other similar stuff. That includes lists by guys like Pronman from ESPN and Kimmelman from NHL.com.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Alt is lumped in with this group? I don't know, maybe. But he's usually held in a little higher regard than that. :dunno:

I would personally have him in the group with Friedman, Vasiliev, Willcox, & Pettersson. Guys who could be bottom pairing guys maybe a little more (more so talking about Friedman & Vasiliev there).

The other group I'm not sure if you get a full time NHLer out of it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I would personally have him in the group with Friedman, Vasiliev, Willcox, & Pettersson. Guys who could be bottom pairing guys maybe a little more (more so talking about Friedman & Vasiliev there).

The other group I'm not sure if you get a full time NHLer out of it.

Yup. Alt is in the group below our big 4.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Wrong. I certainly disagree with this, as do many people in this forum. I'd say the general consensus amongst the guys on this forum that watch a lot of the prospects games is that he is easily on there talent level. You'd even get a small but growing amount of people around here saying he's our best prospect.

There is a real solid amount of guys in this forum that follow the Flyers prospects closer than probably anywhere else. I just think you get a more accurate gauging by reading the prospects thread here than by reading these articles and other similar stuff. That includes lists by guys like Pronman from ESPN and Kimmelman from NHL.com.

I'd have to agree. Admitted, I haven't seen Sanheim play as much as others, but I've been high on him from about midway through last season (and I'm going to keep bringing that up, in case he turns into a stud so I can say I was there first :sarcasm:). Everything he does on the ice just points to having a high hockey IQ. He sees when to join the rush, he sees when he has options on the breakout or the ozone, and to me, that's the most important trait a player can have.

Now, combine that with his size and his skating and it's hard to say he's a level below Morin or Gostisbehere.

And yeah, I thought the article was good. Just glossed over the context for a few of these kids.

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
I would have 3 groups:
Morin, Ghost, Sanheim, Hagg (the group that should make or else will be considered a bust))
Alt, Friedman, Willcox, Petterson (if one of them goes on to take regular NHL shifts I'll be happy
Everyone else (all stretches IMHO)

If 4 of this current crop are Flyers 5 years from now I will be very happy. That would be 4 more tan we have developed properly in the last 10 years.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Yeah. Probably best to think of them in tiers right now.

Alt is higher up in the 2nd tier.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
I really think Friedman is going to surprise some people.

Hey, Craig Button did compare him to Matt "Ryan Suter" Carle!

Honestly, it would be great if he did turn out something like Matt Carle. Gostisbehere was another comparison, but I feel like it's a little too early to start comparing players to Ghost. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00