Philadelphia Flyers have little to show from 2009 NHL Draft

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

The Philadelphia Flyers 2009 NHL Draft class was relatively light, with only six picks on the board and none coming in the first two rounds. Their first-round pick was packaged in a trade to Anaheim for Chris Pronger, while their second-round pick was dealt to Tampa Bay in 2008.

Overall, general manager Paul Holmgren and crew overall selected two defenders, two goaltenders, and two forwards. Only two of the picks, Eric Wellwood and Oliver Lauridsen, have appeared in NHL games.  

Adam Morrison, G, Saskatoon Blades (WHL) – 3rd round, 81st overall
NHL Games Played: 0

Despite being ranked 24th on Central Scouting's final rankings of North American goaltenders in 2009, the Flyers went way off the board and selected him not only as the sixth goalie of the draft but the second overall North American goaltender.… read more

More...

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
I take Pronger all day every day. Loved the move, hate what happened to him. One of the best to ever play.

I still remember waking up that morning and first checking NHL.com.

I needed a couple of minutes until I actually gotten what happened.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
John Moore, Etem, Sbisa really haven't become anything at the NHL level wither. I understand we might not have taken them, but the picks weren't a huge loss really. Etem has the most potential I say but he struggles at the NHL level.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Seriously, Pronger took us 2 wins away from a Stanley Cup. There was as much of a chance that our draft pick could have busted as there was of Pronger's career ending short. Can't fault that move one bit.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It's not so much that as it is the huge risk it ended up being, and reaping very little reward. First off, Holmgren basically had to add an extra 1st because he signed Joffrey Lupul a year too early. If you're going to make trades like that, you better deliver in the draft. Beyond that, they weren't even drafting kids they could overrate and pawn off elsewhere. Some of them were drafted and barely were given the time of day afterward. Not even getting looks from other teams - on this continent - and going immediately to places like Denmark and France. That's egregiously awful for an organization that "does everything it can to win" and I don't recall seeing much in the way of accountability. We shouldn't be the Oilers or Blues in being doomed to mediocrity for years on end. Pronger getting hurt doesn't absolve Holmgren from anything.

Schmidty324

Sep 14, 2010
Philadelphia
It's not so much that as it is the huge risk it ended up being, and reaping very little reward. First off, Holmgren basically had to add an extra 1st because he signed Joffrey Lupul a year too early. If you're going to make trades like that, you better deliver in the draft. Beyond that, they weren't even drafting kids they could overrate and pawn off elsewhere. Some of them were drafted and barely were given the time of day afterward. Not even getting looks from other teams - on this continent - and going immediately to places like Denmark and France. That's egregiously awful for an organization that "does everything it can to win" and I don't recall seeing much in the way of accountability. We shouldn't be the Oilers or Blues in being doomed to mediocrity for years on end. Pronger getting hurt doesn't absolve Holmgren from anything.

^^agreed. The draft picks either were just straight up bad. Or weren't given proper development. Also 2009 looks like a rather weak class in terms of the later rounds.

Pronger getting hurt wasn't forseen but it's not totally why we are we are. Homer's moves after the Pronger trade are, in my opinion at least. He continued to trade away draft picks for bad rentals and it hurt our prospect stock which I suppose led to the Richards/Carter trades to "replenish the system"

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
We have dvds of a cup run, a conference trophy too i guess.

Shocker that the guys we picked are not difference makers, being that something like less than 10% of the guys picked after the second round play significant nhl time.

Next I'm going to read about how I might get wet when I go out in the rain.

SpaceCowboy

Feb 2, 2012
I looked around for the right place to put this, but I thought I'd give all you Philly fans some excitement. Went and saw the Generals play in Oshawa yesterday and Scottie Laughton ended up with an unnatural hat trick and was a force all game. In the end Generals stomped Ottawa 6-0 and by the end of the third Oshawa had over 52+ shots by the buzzer. A massive amount of that was from Laughton.

I was hoping to see more of Vancouver's prospect Cole Cassels but he went down in the early third and didn't come back. (Unsure if it was an injury or just poor play.)

Regardless, Laughton was awesome to watch. I can't see him staying in the CHL much longer.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
I looked around for the right place to put this, but I thought I'd give all you Philly fans some excitement. Went and saw the Generals play in Oshawa yesterday and Scottie Laughton ended up with an unnatural hat trick and was a force all game. In the end Generals stomped Ottawa 6-0 and by the end of the third Oshawa had over 52+ shots by the buzzer. A massive amount of that was from Laughton.

I was hoping to see more of Vancouver's prospect Cole Cassels but he went down in the early third and didn't come back. (Unsure if it was an injury or just poor play.)

Regardless, Laughton was awesome to watch. I can't see him staying in the CHL much longer.

Thanks for the report.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Agree on the Pronger sentiment.

Such a damn shame what happened. Never want to see a world class player like that have his career cut short.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
This is almost like when people complain about what the Phillies gave up to get Halladay.

I mean, they got Roy Halladay and he pretty much pitched the best season of his career in a Phillies uniform, you do that deal every single day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad