Other Sports: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Super Bowl LVIII (Barf!) and Beyond!

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
@JojoTheWhale does DeJean start at nickel? Mitchell seems like a press guy at the LOS.

I’m thinking he plays Left Safety and Nickel depending on matchups. Teams with bigger Slots, you’d rather have DeJean than CJGJ.

Mitchell has the tools for Press, but really hasn’t been asked to do it much. Obviously less of a concern for a Fangio team, but you would think/hope he can get there. One thing I keep seeing is people posting the MHJ TD he gave up in 2022. That was great coverage. Stroud made a fantastic throw and Harrison did what he does. Mitchell played that absurd ‘22 OSU WR room tough as hell.

*Edit* I missed that they singed Kendall Milton. That works for me as a UDFA.

Reactions: flyershockey

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
So, um, was this a good draft for the Birds?
I personally don't like it at all.

QM was great. Thursday and Friday sucked. Did we REALLY need to jump up for DeJean? Is he going to play CB...we have 10 corners then...if he's a safety, there were other quality Safties to be had.

Dejean better return punts, cause we got nobody. Covey has a great average and rarely fumbles, but he strikes fear in noooobody.

We have done nothing to aquire a LB who can cover anyone, while actively getting players.

Last edited:
Reactions: snoop88 and BiggE

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I can't remember the last time I liked a 6th round WR as much as Malik Washington. The only recent guy is Hodgins and I prefer Washington.

(Unless I'm remembering wrong and Khalil Shakir was a 6th and not a 5th.)

*Edit* The visit list retires undefeated.
Soooo I read this and I see he goes 1 ahead of us picking Wilson.

Lame.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Washington was like a top ~100 consensus guy. If they actively liked him they would have drafted him before the 15 trade backs.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Jeff's always been an optics guy, so that wouldn't surprise me. A couple of years ago, Jr. was trending towards a high end draft pick. He just stopped developing at Clemson, so maybe Venables leaving had a negative impact?

Even if it was purely an optics pick, there’s so much value in that.

Now for the kid’s sake, I hope he doesn’t suck because we’ll be clowning him for a while.

Only hope for the best, for now, I love it that late in the draft.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
I went back and watched the 3rd round and later picks:

Ainias Smith I'm fine with now. Shipley.....yeah. No real standout traits. Makes it tough.
He's good but you always want more from him. Idk he's a tough one. I thought Mafah was the better RB last year too.

Also I'm already looking into 2025 OTs. Does Kingsley have a cousin I'm not aware of? Sadge

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
He's good but you always want more from him. Idk he's a tough one. I thought Mafah was the better RB last year too.

Also I'm already looking into 2025 OTs. Does Kingsley have a cousin I'm not aware of? Sadge

His on field play is aggressively fine to me, but I will say that these guys that can jump cut against the grain of their body are one of the types that tends to hit big when they do hit. Much better between the tackles than this archetype usually is, although it gets tougher as players get bigger and better. I do like that he doesn’t take big hits.

Speaking of 2025, it’s time. Give me a name.

I’m taking a big leap on this one because I’m a huge fan of the staff moving him to EDGE this year. I’ll say Abdul Carter from Penn St. And he sticks at EDGE in the NFL.

Reactions: Chinatown88

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
I went back and watched the 3rd round and later picks:

Ainias Smith I'm fine with now. Shipley.....yeah. No real standout traits. Makes it tough.

I didn't really watch much college football this year (and generally really don't because I'm usually* doing gig work), so I rely on cats like you to provide informed opinions. I watched some highlights of Shipley and while elusive and shifty, he seems to go down easily (arm tackles, lack of tackle-breaking). He seems like a water bug without much separation speed. I'm pulling for the kid, but I'm dubious about his chances for success.

* - three adverbs and two contractions in a parenthetical six-word stretch

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I didn't really watch much college football this year (and generally really don't because I'm usually* doing gig work), so I rely on cats like you to provide informed opinions. I watched some highlights of Shipley and while elusive and shifty, he seems to go down easily (arm tackles, lack of tackle-breaking). He seems like a water bug without much separation speed. I'm pulling for the kid, but I'm dubious about his chances for success.

* - three adverbs and two contractions in a parenthetical six-word stretch

Some of these guys always surprise and simply are better NFL players than they were in college, so I just want to be clear that I don’t think it’s a terrible, hopeless pick or anything. This isn’t Davion Taylor. But yeah, similar concerns for me.

Reactions: Kermit the Prog

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
His on field play is aggressively fine to me, but I will say that these guys that can jump cut against the grain of their body are one of the types that tends to hit big when they do hit. Much better between the tackles than this archetype usually is, although it gets tougher as players get bigger and better. I do like that he doesn’t take big hits.

Speaking of 2025, it’s time. Give me a name.

I’m taking a big leap on this one because I’m a huge fan of the staff moving him to EDGE this year. I’ll say Abdul Carter from Penn St. And he sticks at EDGE in the NFL.
Do I win cause Mims and Chop were closer to 22 than Kingsley?

Already taking the name I had. Stop peeking at my Notepad+.

Patrick Payton. The guy who always had his name called during broadcast more than Verse in the games I watched.

• Haha

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
The top part of this draft fell almost perfectly and similar like last year. Two guys we had going to us in the 1st round we got both.

I look at the draft as top 2 rounds you want high upside with proven ability, I don't like reaches. From there on you're looking at starting to take risk/reward type players where either they are raw with high measurables, or the shall I saw "football players" who lack the measurables.

I cant see too much wrong with their picks, they stayed on need, I would have like a less raw LB/Edge then Hunt, but his tools are pretty high end and most of his issues seem to be coachable.

Im partial to Shipley, I loved him at Clemson, loved his game and toughness. I don't have any delusions, but he does that have knack around the goal line for getting in.

Ainias Smith, at the end of last year started getting back to the player he was pre-injury, so I hope he continues.

Trotter, was a pick you could see a mile away, similar to Shipley where they lacked measurables but fit into that "football player", high IQ conversation. I hope he turns into a player like his dad.

Keegan and McMahon, Keegan was a surprise he doesn't seem to have the normal profile that the Eagles go for. I actually like McMahon a lot more and seems to fit the mold that Stoutland likes.

Johnny Wilson, I hope the plan for him is TE, I dont see him as a WR esp at the NFL level. Hes too slow, too inconsistent, a bit sloppy, and he doesn't have high end hands to go along with his size to make up for his faults.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

He doesn’t even have EDGE’s Mykel Williams (Georgia) or Dani Dennis-Sutton (Penn State) listed either. Both were 5*’s out of the 2023 cycle & both have been relatively productive in rotational roles so far.

Regardless it should be a good year for pass rushers next year given the amount of names coming into it even accounting for risers & fallers come this time next year.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I’ve seen an awful lot of people say that Keegan is not their usual preference. If you look at their athlete lottery tickets, they specifically prefer guys with excellent jump scores. That’s Keegan. It also isn’t anywhere to be found on the field, but if you get a solid backup at that spot, it’s a good pick.

Do I win cause Mims and Chop were closer to 22 than Kingsley?

Already taking the name I had. Stop peeking at my Notepad+.

Patrick Payton. The guy who always had his name called during broadcast more than Verse in the games I watched.

We hold ourselves to a high standard. No curling scoring.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
I’ve seen an awful lot of people say that Keegan is not their usual preference. If you look at their athlete lottery tickets, they specifically prefer guys with excellent jump scores. That’s Keegan. It also isn’t anywhere to be found on the field, but if you get a solid backup at that spot, it’s a good pick.

We hold ourselves to a high standard. No curling scoring.
This is some corrupt shenanigans

• Haha

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Just watching the McAfee coverage with The Dark Lord for the Eagles pick. He needs to do that show with Saban. Football stories on football knowledge.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
After checking over the draft again, I'd be pretty stunned to hear that Moore and Fangio didn't have a ton of input on picks/archetypes.

Also, apparently Johnny Wilson has the longest arms of any WR ever at the combine?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad