OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Monday Night Football Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
@JojoTheWhale Saying Brady's only argument for being the best qb of all time is because of Longevity is like saying vice wilfork was only good because of how athletic and huge he was.

success and longevity are two of the biggest contributions to a player being regarded as greatest. no player in team sports matches brady's success and longevity.

Brady has more super bowl victories than any nfl franchise. He led the greatest comeback in superbowl history . He tooks a last place Bucs team to a superbowl victory in his first season. If it were not for two miraculous catches by giants wr's, and nick foles being nick foles this man would have 10 super bowls.

I am down for the contrarian view point. I enjoy those who can go against the grain and can bring about a fresh or new perspective. In this case I am extremely content with calling Brady the greatest football player of all time and no one is in the conversation. Jerry rice is the best in comparsion to his position group. No one will ever catch up to him, but WR is not nearly as important as the qb position.

What brady has done in the toughest most competitive sport will never come close to being matched. And compared to his peers some are close in regards to statistical markers but non will ever come close to his performances in big games, or his success rate.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Las Vegas Desert Ducks Head Coach Nick Saban will be on the Manning Cast tonight.

tenor.gif
Lik

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
@JojoTheWhale Saying Brady's only argument for being the best qb of all time is because of Longevity is like saying vice wilfork was only good because of how athletic and huge he was.

success and longevity are two of the biggest contributions to a player being regarded as greatest. no player in team sports matches brady's success and longevity.

Brady has more super bowl victories than any nfl franchise. He led the greatest comeback in superbowl history . He tooks a last place Bucs team to a superbowl victory in his first season. If it were not for two miraculous catches by giants wr's, and nick foles being nick foles this man would have 10 super bowls.

I am down for the contrarian view point. I enjoy those who can go against the grain and can bring about a fresh or new perspective. In this case I am extremely content with calling Brady the greatest football player of all time and no one is in the conversation. Jerry rice is the best in comparsion to his position group. No one will ever catch up to him, but WR is not nearly as important as the qb position.

What brady has done in the toughest most competitive sport will never come close to being matched. And compared to his peers some are close in regards to statistical markers but non will ever come close to his performances in big games, or his success rate.

This is the Eagles board.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Team accomplishments and longevity is the argument. I honestly don't want to spend time today looking up the specificities of the difference in records when scoring 26+ Points (Brady's Win% laps Manning or Rodgers or anyone else you want to toss in) or how Brady lost one game in his entire Patriots' career (regular season vs Arizona) after his Kicker missed a Clutch XP or FG or Manning leaving the field with the lead and still losing 4 Playoff games with less than 40 seconds remaining. Or how one of Brady's most important skills to his legacy was getting opposing Kickers to miss long Clutch Field Goals. Going into last season, no one had ever made a 50+ Yarder against him in Clutch situations. Not one..

I've researched this deeply. We're never going to agree on it. That's ok. I'm not trying to convince you.

I just want to be clear that he has at various points been undeniably great. I did not say his argument for being great is longevity. I said it's the reasonable argument for putting him over the other all-time greats at #1. I still put him quite high on my list.

Rice clearly had the best career ever, though. That I don't really see up for argument.

Vince Wilfork is a favorite of mine. No shade on him from me.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Team accomplishments and longevity is the argument. I honestly don't want to spend time today looking up the specificities of the difference in records when scoring 26+ Points (Brady's Win% laps Manning or Rodgers or anyone else you want to toss in) or how Brady lost one game in his entire Patriots' career (regular season vs Arizona) after his Kicker missed a Clutch XP or FG or Manning leaving the field with the lead and still losing 4 Playoff games with less than 40 seconds remaining. Or how one of Brady's most important skills to his legacy was getting opposing Kickers to miss long Clutch Field Goals. Going into last season, no one had ever made a 50+ Yarder against him in Clutch situations. Not one..

I've researched this deeply. We're never going to agree on it. That's ok. I'm not trying to convince you.

I just want to be clear that he has at various points been undeniably great. I did not say his argument for being great is longevity. I said it's the reasonable argument for putting him over the other all-time greats at #1. I still put him quite high on my list.

Rice clearly had the best career ever, though. That I don't really see up for argument.

Vince Wilfork is a favorite of mine. No shade on him from me.

best career ever is jim brown imo. A perfect career. Also i too am a huge fan of The wilfork family on and off the field.

Last edited:

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
The best WRs ever are Calvin Johnson and Randy Moss.
I'm a big moss fan, however. He would have been the best ever if he could have gotten his head out of his ass, his whole time in Oakland he just didn't give a shit, same with t.o he had the chance to be the top wr, but couldn't get his head out of his ass either, thats why I think rice and megatron were #1 and #2 ...... just my opinion, not saying you're wrong

Reactions: Schwarbomb

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
best career ever is jim brown imo. A perfect career

I think that's a defensible position even if I don't agree.

I'm also open to the idea that it's actually someone like Anthony Munoz or Bruce Matthews and we'll just never know it. We don't have any meaningful tools to get there and probably never will.

I was trying to think of a way to illustrate how I value peak more than most. The best one I can come up with is that I would put Patrick Willis in the HOF the second he was eligible.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I want to correct one myth, Brady never played with a lot of talent in NE. Good defenses his first few years, but dreck on offense.

His first SB team: Antoine Smith RB, Edwards FB, Patten, Brown WR, Rutledge TE, Light LT, Compton LG, Woody C, Andruzzi RG, Randall RT

His 2nd/3rd SB teams:
Kevin Faulk RB, Branch, Brown WR, Fauria/Graham TE, Light LT, Woody LG, Koppen C, Andruzzi RG, Ashworth RT
Dillon RB, Branch, Givens, Patten WR, Graham TE, Light LT, Andruzzi LG, Koppen C, Neal RG, Gorin RT (4th in points)

2007, lost to Giants in SB
Faulk RB, Moss, Welker WR, Brady/Watson TE, Light LT, Mankins LG, Koppen C, Neal RG, Kaczur RT (1st in points, his most talented team)
2011, lost to Giants in SB
Green-Ellis RB, Branch, Welker WR, Gronk TE, Light LT, Mankins LG, Connolly C, Waters RG, Solder RT (3rd in points)

2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, won 3 SBs, lost 1 in five years:
Vereen RB, Edelman, LaFell WR, Gronk, Hoomanawanui TE, Solder, Connolly, Stork, Wendell, Vollmer (4th in points)
Blunt RB, Edelman, Hogan WR, Bennett, Gronk TE, Solder, Thuney, Andrews, Mason, Cannon (3rd in points)
Lewis RB, Cooks, Hogan WR, Gronk TE, Solder, Thuney, Andrews, Mason, Cannon (2nd in points)
Michel RB, Edelman, Gordon WR, Gronk TE, Brown, Thuney, Andrews, Mason, Cannon (4th in points)

By this point Brady was elevating mediocre OL by his anticipation and quick release.
From 2007-2018, NE was in the top 10 in points and yards every season but one (yards).
Top 5 in points 10 of 12 seasons. Only the 2007 team had exceptional talent, some of these offenses were average at best.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I'm also open to the idea that it's actually someone like Anthony Munoz or Bruce Matthews and we'll just never know it. We don't have any meaningful tools to get there and probably never will.

I was trying to think of a way to illustrate how I value peak more than most. The best one I can come up with is that I would put Patrick Willis in the HOF the second he was eligible.

Well, that would argue for Reggie as a potential GOAT.

Reactions: Jtown

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

i think that is a no brainer. That isn't a position that aligns itself with longevity , same with rb. Sterling sharpe is another that should be in the hof. Sometimes a players peak overcomes their lack of longevity. sometimes it doesn't . To this day Shawn Andrews is the best run blocker i have ever seen in my life. He was also the best screen blocker i have seen in my life. He could get down field like it was no one else's business. But that does not warrant a hof career sadly though it is peak. Peak will never surpass longevity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad