OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Hail Tyrod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
I don’t know who any of these people are but I think you did a great job and I’m proud of you.
da9buj1-dc7d3540-956f-42b6-bca0-23230710dc52.gif

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

What I gather from that graph is: wow, the run schemes and blocking are phenomenal. I don't know if you're using that as a Miles Sanders praise tweet, so correct me if I'm wrong. But the Eagles expected run average is ~0.5 yards higher than any other team. So, Sanders is outperforming the expected run by ~0.3 yards/carry. That's.....above average? What I'm seeing is how fungible the position is with only a handful of truly elite backs.

Last edited:

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
What I gather from that graph is: wow, the run schemes and blocking are phenomenal. I don't know if you're using that as a Miles Sanders praise tweet, so correct me if I'm wrong. But the Eagles expected run average is ~0.5 yards higher than any other team. So, Sanders is outperforming the expected run by 0.2-0.3 yards/carry. That's.....above average? What I'm seeing is how fungible the position is with only a handful of truly elite backs.

I'm ready to do a happy dance about Sanders, but what I really need for this is to see where Gainwell, Howard, Scott, etc. fall onto this chart as well

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
What I gather from that graph is: wow, the run schemes and blocking are phenomenal. I don't know if you're using that as a Miles Sanders praise tweet, so correct me if I'm wrong. But the Eagles expected run average is ~0.5 yards higher than any other team. So, Sanders is outperforming the expected run by ~0.3 yards/carry. That's.....above average? What I'm seeing is how fungible the position is with only a handful of truly elite backs.

You are reading this correctly.

The OL, the offensive staff, and Stoutland (helps both with coaching OL and in the run game schematically) deserve a ton of credit.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

its a graph, its easy to decipher. I just thought it was interesting so i posted it. No commentary.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I strongly reject the description of anyone attempting to acquire Deshaun Watson in the middle of his situation as pristine.

Again, I liked the 2021 draft and said so at the time. There have been plenty of positives. We just tend to go too far and only talk about what happened, not what they tried to get done.

I choose to refuse to believe that this was anywhere close. I choose to believe that this was Howie doing his due diligence as usual.
Because I hate the idea of having to root for that person.

I think Howie was the best GM in the league over the last 12 months all things considered. I think that is a fair assessment. He did a bad job after the superbowl but Lurie is vindicated for not seriously considering firing him. Howie is a very good GM in almost all aspects outside of the draft (and if one chooses to believe in rumors (like I do in this case) man management is also not a strong suit of his). And after nailing last years draft there is some hope that he might finally have found a formula that could work there as well.
Now we have 3 1sts due to his stellar work last year and ultimately those 1sts will decide a lot in regard to his career unless he squanders them but then pulls off similiar stuff in the future which I won't rule out.

Howie can be a top3 GM in the league if his drafting is on point. But if it is not, he (like almost any GM) tumbles down a lot in those rankings. But all the fire Howie talk probably should stop for atleast the next 2-3 years after this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jtown

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I choose to refuse to believe that this was anywhere close. I choose to believe that this was Howie doing his due diligence as usual.
Because I hate the idea of having to root for that person.

I think Howie was the best GM in the league over the last 12 months all things considered. I think that is a fair assessment. He did a bad job after the superbowl but Lurie is vindicated for not seriously considering firing him. Howie is a very good GM in almost all aspects outside of the draft (and if one chooses to believe in rumors (like I do in this case) man management is also not a strong suit of his). And after nailing last years draft there is some hope that he might finally have found a formula that could work there as well.
Now we have 3 1sts due to his stellar work last year and ultimately those 1sts will decide a lot in regard to his career unless he squanders them but then pulls off similiar stuff in the future which I won't rule out.

Howie can be a top3 GM in the league if his drafting is on point. But if it is not, he (like almost any GM) tumbles down a lot in those rankings. But all the fire Howie talk probably should stop for atleast the next 2-3 years after this season.

This is exactly what I mean when I say we always have to go too far. Their interest was serious. Watson was asked to waive for Philadelphia and said no, killing the talks. There's really no way for me to respond to someone choosing to believe something.

Praise him for the good, by all means. There's plenty of that too. Just be honest with yourselves that he got saved from himself in ways too. That's how it works for everyone.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
This is exactly what I mean when I say we always have to go too far. Their interest was serious. Watson was asked to waive for Philadelphia and said no, killing the talks. There's really no way for me to respond to someone choosing to believe something.

Praise him for the good, by all means. There's plenty of that too. Just be honest with yourselves that he got saved from himself in ways too. That's how it works for everyone.

Sadly, as a current Howie stan, I do hate to admit that Howie clearly was in love with DeShaun - even to the point of going for him during the scandal. On paper I understand the logic from Howie "OoOo! Now we might only need to spend one 1st!" but ethically, it's just not up for discussion if you're an organization with principles.

I think he's done a ton of good this year, but this is probably the worst thing he's done this past year along with re-structuring Cox's deal.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

I am not disputing that they had legit interest. I am pretty sure that Howie looked into if they could make it happen and what it would take( before then having a very long talk with Lurie and a ton of PR people whether they should make it happen if they had been comfortable with the terms).

IMO they shouldn't have but considering all the headlines about the Eagles, I am not surprised that they thought about it even though it personally is appalling to me.
Watson is by far the best QB available and the Eagles probably had the assets to get it done and realistically we were looking for a quality QB. Thankfully it looks like it should hopefully be off the table now.
This league as a whole cares way less than it should about stuff like that. Thats not an Eagles problem only unfortunately.

I would be beyond mad with Lurie and Howie if they had pulled the trigger but them being interested in Watson realistically shouldn't count against them when you are assessing their job performance. That wouldn't have been a "football" mistake.
It would have massively impacted my personal opinion of them and I would have called for their heads but that would have nothing to do with their job performance or how good they are at their job which we were discussing. Them being interested in Watson certainly counts as a character flaw IMO but is not a ding on their abilities. And considering that we are talking mostly rumors, I am choosing to ignore them due to that and want to believe that they only did their due diligence (even though it probably went quite a bit further than that).

I mean everyone and their mother was calling for Howies head not even 4 months ago. That should be over and done with. Giving Roseman another 2-3 years (basically to evaluate the next draft class which will be make or break most likey for us) seems rather fair after the job he has done over the last 12 months. He should have earned that considering that him and Lurie also brought us a ring not even 5 years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I am not disputing that they had legit interest. I am pretty sure that Howie looked into if they could make it happen and what it would take before having a very long talk with Lurie and a ton of PR people whether they should make it happen had they been comfortable with the terms.

IMO they shouldn't have but considering all the headlines about the Eagles, I am not surprised that they thought about it even though it personally is appalling to me.
Watson is by far the best QB available and the Eagles probably had the assets to get it done and realistically we were looking for a quality QB. Thankfully it looks like it should hopefully be off the table now.
This league as a whole cares way less than it should about stuff like that. Thats not an Eagles problem only unfortunately.

I would be beyond mad with Lurie and Howie if they had pulled the trigger but them being interested in Watson realistically shouldn't count against them when you are assessing their job performance. That wouldn't have been a "football" mistake.
It would have massively impacted my personal opinion of them and I would have called for their heads but that would have nothing to do with their job performance or how good they are at their job which we were discussing. Them being interested in Watson certainly counts as a character flaw IMO but is not a ding on their abilities. And considering that we are talking mostly rumors, I am choosing to ignore them due to that.

I can understand it if you want to put them in different categories. On a purely football standpoint, Watson's either at the bottom of Tier 1 or the very top of Tier 2 of current starting QBs and he's 26. That's a monster football asset.

But seriously, they were willing to cash in their chips for Watson. I don't really understand this "but it was just rumors" thing. This was reported up and down by legit sources. Watson turned down at least Philadelphia and Carolina because he was trying to force his way to Miami.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I can understand it if you want to put them in different categories. On a purely football standpoint, Watson's either at the bottom of Tier 1 or the very top of Tier 2 of current starting QBs and he's 26. That's a monster football asset.

But seriously, they were willing to cash in their chips for Watson. I don't really understand this "but it was just rumors" thing. This was reported up and down by legit sources. Watson turned down at least Philadelphia and Carolina because he was trying to force his way to Miami.

Oh I agree that they were thinking about doing it.

But I think in a situation like that the Eagles will first look into whether it is doable and what it would cost. Then afterwards they will ultimately make a decision whether it is really worth it to acquire a guy like that and all the baggage that comes with it and if the overall package (assets you have to trade + the enormous PR hit and fan reaction you will create ) is worth it.

And the Eagles never got close to making that decision. Howie did his due diligence, looked very hard into the situation and asked for the price and whether there was a way to get it done. Due to Watson refusing a trade to Philly, the conversation most likely died at that point. We don't really know how serious they were about actually pulling the trigger. Thats where I as a fan am able to somewhat give them a slight pass and actually choose to believe that they hadn't made up their minds yet whether they would actually do it and that we don't know how far along it really was and that the stuff that made it look close were just rumors.

I think thats called plausable deniability or something like that ;).

Last edited:

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018

With Brian Flores and now Joe Judge fired that leaves 0.

Andy Reid's got 3 (Sean McDermott in Buffalo, John Harbaugh in Baltimore, and Ron Rivera in Washington) down from 4 this season after Nagy being fired.

Reactions: Flyer lurker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad