Proposal: Philadelphia - Colorado

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
:avs :flyers

I proposed this trade in another thread and a Flyers fan agreed to it, so I thought I'd make a thread to get some more thoughts on it:

Scott Laughton, 26 , C/LW ($2.3m x 1 year)
Justin Braun, 33, RD ($1.8m x 2 years)
2021 PHI 2nd

for

Conor Timmins, 22, RD ($925k x 1 year)
JT Compher, 25, RW ($3.5m x 3 years)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This trade seems to work pretty well for both teams given their needs:

Colorado get a 3C which fills their biggest need this season, as well as a solid veteran shutdown 6/7 RHD to cover for the injury prone Erik Johnson this year and next.

Philadelphia acquire a young budding top 4 RHD which fills their biggest need, along with a 3RW. Flyers need to make room at C for Frost, and with Couturier, Hayes, and Patrick as the top 3 centers it makes sense to make Laughton available.

Flyers get the two youngest players in the trade with more years of team control (whereas Laughton is a pending UFA), and and thus Flyers add a pick.

The cap in this deal is fairly balanced, with $4.425m going to Philadelphia, and $4.1m going to Colorado.

Below I've made a couple of AGM rosters in capfriendly for the 2021/22 season to illustrate how this trade would shape up going forward for each team.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:flyers

Colorado trade 2021-22 projection - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Looking ahead to next season, this trade sets the Flyers up well for the Expansion Draft, as Seattle would essentially have a choice between Compher or Gostisbehere. If Ghost gets taken (as in this roster projection) Flyers would have $2.5m+ to make an upgrade on Friedman (i.e they could sign or acquire a 3rd pairing Dman for ~$3.3m).

Note that Timmins is exempt from the expansion draft.

upload_2021-2-3_13-0-3.png

upload_2021-2-3_12-53-27.png

upload_2021-2-3_12-52-59.png

:avs

Flyers trade 2021-22 projection - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

From Colorado's perspective, expansion would effectively come down to a straight choice for Seattle between Donskoi or Graves. In this case I chose Donskoi as he's looking good to start the season with 8 points in 11 games and would be the most convenient player for Colorado to lose. They could give Seattle a pick to steer them towards him instead of Graves if needed.

In this projection Avs would have the capspace to resign Laughton as 3C to insulate Newhook and Bowers next season.

The loss of Timmins would hurt, but Colorado have a deep top 6 so Timmins would likely become a victim of the numbers game. Colorado also have two very good RHD prospects in the pipeline in Drew Helleson and Justin Barron to mitigate the loss of Timmins.

upload_2021-2-3_13-0-51.png

upload_2021-2-3_12-54-52.png

upload_2021-2-3_12-54-30.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-2-3_12-55-14.png
    upload_2021-2-3_12-55-14.png
    32.6 KB · Views: 2
  • upload_2021-2-3_12-58-57.png
    upload_2021-2-3_12-58-57.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 2
  • upload_2021-2-3_12-59-34.png
    upload_2021-2-3_12-59-34.png
    13 KB · Views: 2

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Compher doesn't do a lot for me. Winger depth isn't too big of a need. But, I do not mind the idea of a Laughton for Timmins deal as a basis.

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

Evergreen

Just FYI, Morgan Frost is going to have shoulder surgery and will probably be out the rest of the year, so making room for him isn't a concern for the Flyers in the short term.

I don't think the Flyers would do this deal. Laughton is very versatile and while Timmins has upside, his development has been wonky and he comes with a concussion history.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Its realistic for the most part, and I'm first in line to jettison Braun anywhere.

While Laughton probably isn't an ideal C candidate anywhere but the 4th line, we need him given Frosts season ending injury and Patrick's relatively risky status.

But otherwise, I absolutely do this.

Reactions: BernieParent

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I just dont see why Colorado does this.

Laughton isn't a 3C solution, and we're giving up one of our most valuable trade chips to get a couple pieces we don't really need.

Just... Nah, no interest at all.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Laughton would be fairly low down my list of 3rd line center upgrades, especially if we are dealing Timmins who is still a really good young defensive prospect. Laughton can do the job but he’s a rental at this point and if we are going for a pure rental, I’d rather aim a bit higher. Timmins only goes for a rental if that rental is a real deal difference maker IMO. Laughton is in the Tierney class for me...but without a contract past this season.

Compher is overpaid but I don’t like the idea of including him in a deal as a salary dump because I think there are definitely teams out there that would give us a decent draft pick for him, even if that’s not the Flyers. In this offer I feel he drags the package value down.

Quibbles aside though, I think it’s a well thought out and reasonable value offer. It feels like a very realistic trade even if neither side in this particular case would pull the trigger right now.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I don't understand the obsession you have with trading Timmins for depth pieces...

Any deal the Avs should consider this season will have to come at the deadline and most likely cost us picks / prospects that are not that close to the NHL...

With EJ injured AGAIN, we will need a replacement for him rather sooner than later...
And you know who looks like the best guy to take over that RHD PK killing defensive D spot in the Avs system in the next 1-2 years right now?

Conor Timmins.
So for the love of god stop trying to trade him for depth pieces...

Byram, Makar, Girard and Toews isn't strong enough defensively. Especially on the PK for the next few years atleast. There absolutely is a need for Timmins in this organisation. Stop trying to trade the guy. Other teams won't value him highly enough anyways due to his concussion history (but then again neither do you..) for it to make sense for the Avs..

If you want to create a stupid fantasy proposal every other day, try trading a few of our depth pieces or picks for the depth players you are so fixated on. Makes a ton more sense...

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Relook at thing from Flyer end as I was the one that said yes. As FYI Laughton can absolutely play 3c but 3lw is his best position.
Flyers
Pluses Team desperately needs a bottom pairing d-man and Timmins is a legit upgrade over anything Flyers have right now. Whether one year or 2 years from now a d of Provorov, Sanheim, Myers, Timmins, York, Zamula I think I can go to war with for next 4 years. Timmins ED exempt is huge. When Flyers trade for a d-man it will in all likelihood either be ED exempt or pending f/a. Compher legit depth f as well.

Minuses You are going to have to trust in 2 players with injury history to stay healthy now(Timmins and Patrick). Laughton is 3c backup plan for Patrick if something doesn't work out health wise.

I said yes to the trade to fill the weakness you do have over the potential weakness you could have.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Compher doesn't do a lot for me. Winger depth isn't too big of a need. But, I do not mind the idea of a Laughton for Timmins deal as a basis.
That Compher contract seems kinda gross.

I don't know much about him but If Timmins truly has top 4 potential then Laughton + 2nd would be a yes from me.

Reactions: BernieParent

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I don't understand the obsession you have with trading Timmins for depth pieces...

Any deal the Avs should consider this season will have to come at the deadline and most likely cost us picks / prospects that are not that close to the NHL...

With EJ injured AGAIN, we will need a replacement for him rather sooner than later...
And you know who looks like the best guy to take over that RHD PK killing defensive D spot in the Avs system in the next 1-2 years right now?

Conor Timmins.
So for the love of god stop trying to trade him for depth pieces...

Byram, Makar, Girard and Toews isn't strong enough defensively. Especially on the PK for the next few years atleast. There absolutely is a need for Timmins in this organisation. Stop trying to trade the guy. Other teams won't value him highly enough anyways due to his concussion history (but then again neither do you..) for it to make sense for the Avs..

If you want to create a stupid fantasy proposal every other day, try trading a few of our depth pieces or picks for the depth players you are so fixated on. Makes a ton more sense...

He’s not in the wrong.

And your meltdown is hard to justify.

Your exclusive focus on EJs injury is causing you to overlook a more glaring problem of spending 7.5 on 3RW but have it wasted because we have no 3C.

A lot of teams need good young defensemen like Timmins. On the Avs he’s a third pairing D. On another team he’s possibly top 4. It’s sensible to utilize this to address another area.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
He’s not in the wrong.

And your meltdown is hard to justify.

Your exclusive focus on EJs injury is causing you to overlook a more glaring problem of spending 7.5 on 3RW but have it wasted because we have no 3C.

A lot of teams need good young defensemen like Timmins. On the Avs he’s a third pairing D. On another team he’s possibly top 4. It’s sensible to utilize this to address another area.

Not really a meltdown.
Just annoying having to read one of these dumb Timmins for depth pieces proposals every other day...

Sure #3 C is an issue that Sakic will look at on deadline day.
Same as goalie. But you know what usually gets traded for these pieces on deadline day?
Picks and prospects. Not young NHL players like Timmins..

Its really not sensible at all considering that EJ looks just about done and how badly we missed him in the playoffs once he went down and how much of a joke our PK was. Toews is a great addition but thats not his strength.

For once the Avs actually have the type of depth on D you need to contend and now certain fans are all of a sudden hell bent to trade it away for depth upgrades at forwards that can easily be acquired via other avenues...

Which makes no sense at all considering how many decent prospects we have in the system that can be traded on deadline day together with picks for the smaller upgrades we need...

I am not a huge fan of Comphers development over the last 1.5 years but Avs fans here are vastly overrating our "cap problems" on RW. I actually am perfectly fine with Donskoi right now. He overall has been very good for the Avs so far when he was able to stay healthy for a longer period of time. He is a streaky player and his bad stretches so far have only come after injuries.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Flyers just could not do this deal now.

Frost is out for the season...so they will keep Laughton as C depth as they have already had Couts and Frost miss time.

Then add in that they don't need JTC at RW as your lineup bumps Farabee down to the 4th line...he has 8 pts in 10 games. JTC just isn't needed.

EDIT: Just saw Compher makes 3.5 million the next 3 years(including this one). Yeah....this is an easy no. Don't need him at all when we have Farabee at $925,000 the next 2 years instead.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Would much rather pay for a veteran 3C with a pick/lesser prospects. Timmins is developing well right now, and his value can get much higher than currently.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Well with Coots still out and Frosts season over Laughton is now our 3c so we can't make this trade, at least not right now

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I agree with the AVS fans against moving Timmins.

He’s the closest RHD to replace EJ. Barron and Helleson are still 2-3 years away. Moving him for spare parts is not enough incentive. Laughton is likely gone. Braun is too old. 2nd is the only serviceable part.

AVs keep Timmins, but move Compher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad