OT: Philadelphia 76ers (NBA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
No...they have to either complete it or bench his ass. You can't have Okafor got out there and tear a knee and have this fall through. That would be stupid.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Stein saying future 1st and Ajinca, but not done. If I am taking back an '18 pick, lottery isn't good enough. Protection needs to be lighter. I prefer it, actually.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
The Pelicans are one of the few teams that make sense for big Jah. I hope it happens soon and not have to wait for the deadline.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
I agree that if they have to eat Asik, that pick pretty much has to be unprotected, or at the very least top 3 protected in '17 and unprotected in '18 if it doesn't convey.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Anijca could back up Embiid if they trade Noel/don't match his RFA offer.
Asik is totally useless.

The only way Sixers take Asik (or both) will be if the deal is substantially sweetened. Problem is if it's a 2018 pick, and Jah can fit with Davis, is they could be a .500 team or better so you're talking #15-20.

So I seriously doubt they touch Asik, throwing in Jrue isn't enough, since they could wait until the summer if they want him that badly.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Anijca could back up Embiid if they trade Noel/don't match his RFA offer.
Asik is totally useless.

The only way Sixers take Asik (or both) will be if the deal is substantially sweetened. Problem is if it's a 2018 pick, and Jah can fit with Davis, is they could be a .500 team or better so you're talking #15-20.

So I seriously doubt they touch Asik, throwing in Jrue isn't enough, since they could wait until the summer if they want him that badly.

**** no, if you take on that abomination of a contract, you get the 2017 1st round pick.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Colangelo better not botch this.....

The pick should be unprotected if we're taking back deadweight. Hinkie right now would probably work his magic and by some miracle "net" the Nets pick that Boston currently owns.....:sarcasm:

TheWolfOfBroadStreet

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
Colangelo better not botch this.....

The pick should be unprotected if we're taking back deadweight. Hinkie right now would probably work his magic and by some miracle "net" the Nets pick that Boston currently owns.....:sarcasm:

white-goodman.jpg

"I wouldnt trade Okafor for all of King Midas' silver!"- Deadhead

Seriously though, I would trade Okafor for any expiring contract as long as we get a unprotected first back.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
The trade wasn't official because they missed the 5pm deadline. They have 6.5 hours to make it happen.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If I'm BC, I didn't want to complete this trade unless NO bowled me over (a 2018 pick which could be in the 15-20 range doesn't qualify), because just the rumor of the trade signals other GMs that they can't hold out until BC is desperate. Which hopefully will get the phone to start ringing.

TheWolfOfBroadStreet

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
Daily deadline. Trade calls have to be made by 5pm are they have to wait till the next day.

It's starting to look like the trade may not be done again...starting to worry.

Interesting, I never knew that. The good news is I dont see any scenario where Okafor is still on the roster by the 23rd, good riddance (hopefully)!

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Now they just have to dump Noel if they get a backup center in the Jah deal, because I don't want to see his skinny butt shoved all over the court by every center in the league.

And no, he's an awful fit with Embiid, so why would we pay him for 15 minutes of night of good but far from great defense and limited offense?

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
The hold up on this trade is probably a combination of 2 things:

1. Sixers reluctance to take Ajinca or Asik (or trying to get them to include Holiday)

2. NO still looking at other potential deals (like Brook Lopez) and hoping another team will take Asik.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Best thing about moving Okafor might be to get a better, longer look at Noel in longer minutes. Defensive strengths and weaknesses seem clear enough, but has he improved enough offensively to make it worthwhile to keep him as backup and insurance?

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
If I'm BC, I didn't want to complete this trade unless NO bowled me over (a 2018 pick which could be in the 15-20 range doesn't qualify), because just the rumor of the trade signals other GMs that they can't hold out until BC is desperate. Which hopefully will get the phone to start ringing.

There are so few potential landing spots that I just don't see it happening. Rumors have already connected them to two of the most likely suitors. Who do you expect to jump in late?

TheWolfOfBroadStreet

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
There are so few potential landing spots that I just don't see it happening. Rumors have already connected them to two of the most likely suitors. Who do you expect to jump in late?

OKC is a team I think that should be interested. Kanter plays a very similar role (all offense, no defense) on OKC and he is out the rest of the year I believe.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Pretty decent article on the enigma known as Jah...

Agree...I would keep holding and benching him if need be until time alters the equation that he is a sunk cost.

Whatever happens, Okafor will remain one of the more confounding players in recent Philadelphia history. As skilled as he is at the offensive end of the court, he is difficult to watch everywhere else without screaming at your television, "Dude, don't you want to be something more?" That, after all, was the hope when the Sixers drafted him. Everybody knew his physical limitations, but it wasn't foolish to think that a professional amount of practice, conditioning and effort could neutralize those limitations. Much of what Okafor needed to do to become something more than the player everybody expected fell into the effort category: blocking out, attacking the ball in the air, banging like a big boy on the defensive block.

That's not to suggest that Okafor is lazy or unmotivated or obstinate. But when a player has been as far ahead of his peers for as long as Okafor has been, he has a tendency to assume that the way he's always done things at previous levels will again be good enough for this level. And, hey, if Okafor's primary objective is to be good enough, he will continue to succeed. That's how talented he is as a low-block scorer. But once a player reaches the highest level of his profession, he is surrounded by players who have been doing things their own way their entire careers, and the ones who tend to move to the forefront are the ones who do them better, longer and harder than everybody else. They are the ones who see "good enough" as the mortal enemy of "the best."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports..._confounding_stagnation_of_Jahlil_Okafor.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad