Phil Russell

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
I remember him by reputation as a tough guy and pretty good player but didn't recall any fight footage so I looked this up...

There's about 7 fights here and I have to say I'm very UNDER-whelmed. He didn't win ANY of them (IMO) Most were draws because he seemingly chose to initiate hugfests? He definitely lost one badly to O'Reilly and one clearly to Richter, but most of the others were inconsequential and it seemed that he was fighting for a draw in all of them? Was this guy fake or did they pick all his worst scraps to make a vid of?

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Russell was a willing fighter, especially early in his career. Big and strong, he could handle himself.

Was he an elite fighter? No he wasn't. In all fairness, the clip shows him with some good fighters.

He wasn't a goon though.

He was a good skating defenseman, who was an honest player with an edge, and gave you a little offense, 9 golas 27 assists a year type. Had a couple good offensive seasons, but that wasn't his strength per se.

One of those nice guys off the ice - no nonsense players on the ice.

Reactions: Tarantula

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
he didn't win one fight did he? :rolleyes: :laugh:

Now you made me go watch the vid again o_O The only fights he might have won was if you gave him points for wrestling. He was obviously just satisfied to tie his opponents up. Now I know he is credited with about 60 other career fights so I'm wondering if the ones on the vid are indicative of his overall record? If not, why would someone make a vid of fight highlights of him and not include some fights that he clearly won?

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00