Confirmed with Link: Phil Myers new contract, 3x$2.55M

MillerTime2181

Nov 3, 2010
Great deal! Extremely glad to have him for three years and at that cap. If he ends up being the RH first pair Dman we all hope, then the Flyers will have to pay big on his next contract regardless.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Not saying I disagree because I don't, but worth noting JVR comes off the books that year. It helps, but doesn't solve obviously. Bridging to the final RFA year typically doesn't save you much cash/give you much leverage heading into his "big money" deal.
Sanheim, Hart, and maybe Patrick will also need new deals for next season. They could trade Sanheim and solve that problem, but Hart is going to get big money.

Three year bridge deals are becoming the new fad. Team benefits in the short term but they are very player friendly over the long haul. Looking at Defenseman that signed 3 year bridge deals:

Werenski 5 AAV
McAvoy 4.9 AAV
Sergachev 4.8 AAV
Carrier 733K AAV (career minor league to this point)

I like Phil but he doesn't belong in that group.

Interestingly enough Fletcher gave another former unsigned CHL defenseman a three year bridge off of his ELC - Spurgeon.

Went from 3 x 2.67 ---> 4 x 5.18 ---> Which sprung into another long term deal. Spurgeon is going to gross over $80 million in his career!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Bridge into long-term deal is the best move, Myers would be 26 for his next contract, so 6-8 years means it's only going to be until he's 31/33. The worst is a setup where the first long-term contract expires at 28-29, when they're good enough to get max money but too old to perform at that level through their next contract.

BlackandOrange

Jul 12, 2018
Breadalbane, PE
Cool. So do I.

I think Phil lives in the same neighbourhood as Parenteau, doesn't he?

No clue. I'm not from Moncton, and aside from rock climbing at FitRocks don't get out too much here. I did meet Phil Myers uncle at Walmart once. The dude was wearing a Habs jersey and a Flyers hat. Repping his team and supporting his nephew.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
"Straight outta Moncton, crazy motherf***er named Phil Myers
From the gang called Philadelphia Flyers"

iG8IHPJ.jpg

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Bridge into long-term deal is the best move, Myers would be 26 for his next contract, so 6-8 years means it's only going to be until he's 31/33. The worst is a setup where the first long-term contract expires at 28-29, when they're good enough to get max money but too old to perform at that level through their next contract.
exactly. Idk why some don't like it.

“Nisky came up to me in warm-ups and said, ‘Are you ready to go? If you are, I’m sitting out,’ " Myers said.

dude is a stud, can't wait to see him with provorov for the next few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad