Confirmed with Link: Phil Myers new contract, 3x$2.55M

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
That third year is huge. As it stands that puts his next deal in the same off-season as JVR and Lindblom instead of Giroux/Couturier/Farabee/Aube-Kubel
The way that the players have gone along with management’s spacing these contracts just shows how much that they want to work with and remain in this organization. They know that if they perform, they will be taken care of. It’s a compliment to all involved.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Don't like the three year bridge for Myers. You're getting no discount on that third contract in all likelihood. Structure is important for the QO heading into that contract.

I was expecting 2 x just north of 2 so the AAV checks out and will be nice for the next three years, but after that...:dunno:

Last edited:

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi folks,

Congratulations on the re-signing/extension. You have a really nice group of skilled youngsters who can play with edge, set to become the next core.
B7AA0696-8FE7-494E-98C6-0F15B47DE534.gif

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I knew you were gonna say this!
Am I wrong? I hate 3 year bridge deals unless it's a special case for an emerging star on a cap strapped team ready to compete for a Cup. Don't think Myers fits that bill. Go as short or as long as you can. This just feels like they weren't sure on the player and split the difference.

Myers is probably leaving a little money on the table for what he could make in a normal 3rd year post-ELC contract, but he'll be on the doorstep of UFA and will have the org by the balls if he's as good as Keith Jones thinks (ask Trouba).

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Am I wrong? I hate 3 year bridge deals unless it's a special case for an emerging star on a cap strapped team ready to compete for a Cup. Don't think Myers fits that bill. Go as short or as long as you can. This just feels like they weren't sure on the player and split the difference.

Myers is probably leaving a little money on the table for what he could make in a normal 3rd year post-ELC contract, but he'll be on the doorstep of UFA and will have the org by the balls if he's as good as Keith Jones thinks (ask Trouba).

3 years makes sense if you’re trying to set yourself up for a moderately hard 3 year window. That’s not what I would do, but it would accomplish that.

Given that they spent cap on 2 moderate cost UFA vet D contracts, this would also fit.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
3 years makes sense if you’re trying to set yourself up for a moderately hard 3 year window. That’s not what I would do, but it would accomplish that.

Given that they spent cap on 2 moderate cost UFA vet D contracts, this would also fit.
Hell I would have signed up for 2 x 2.5 to hold some leverage and flexibility going into that next contract. :laugh:

He also gave Lindblom a 3 year "bridge" so we'll have both of them up at the same time. Though that's a special circumstance that I'm willing to get on board with since his play on the ice far exceeded what he had to settle for. Idk, maybe I'm missing a good example but I find with most of these 3 year bridge deals, that last year of team control just gets thrown away and teams end up paying UFA rates anyway and in Myers case, what are we doing here? Not really cashing in on the margins there.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Hell I would have signed up for 2 x 2.5 to hold some leverage and flexibility going into that next contract. :laugh:

He also gave Lindblom a 3 year "bridge" so we'll have both of them up at the same time. Though that's a special circumstance that I'm willing to get on board with since his play on the ice far exceeded what he had to settle for. Idk, maybe I'm missing a good example but I find with most of these 3 year bridge deals, that last year of team control just gets thrown away and teams end up paying UFA rates anyway and in Myers case, what are we doing here? Not really cashing in on the margins there.
Not saying I disagree because I don't, but worth noting JVR comes off the books that year. It helps, but doesn't solve obviously. Bridging to the final RFA year typically doesn't save you much cash/give you much leverage heading into his "big money" deal.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Chuck seems to give market value, he doesn't overpay but he doesn't try to squeeze the last penny out of players either, so that avoids bad feelings in the clubhouse.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad