The Sun: Phil Kessel's ice time falls

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/11/22/kessels-ice-time-falls

1297495779421_ORIGINAL.jpg

Phil Kessel runs during an off-ice workout Friday as only a few Leafs took to the ice at the MasterCard Centre in Etobicoke.

TORONTO - Is Leafs leading scorer Phil Kessel hurt or just bothered by routine nagging injuries?

Or has his sometime reluctance to play hard in both ends of the ice affected the opportunities thrown his way by coach Randy Carlyle?

For the past three games, Kessel has been averaging 15 minutes and change in ice time, more than three minutes below his season average.

Carlyle was not available to the media on Friday but here's what he said Thursday following the Maple Leafs' 4-2 loss to the Nashville Predators when asked specifically whether Kessel is injured.

"I don't know, I think a lot of our players have bumps and bruises," Carlyle said. "They all have bumps and bruises and ailments. That's why we have maintenance days. It's difficult in some situations the bumps and bruises do pile up."

After the game against the Islanders on Tuesday -- in which Kessel scored two goals, by the way -- he declined to answer a question about a potential wrist injury after video from the game showed his right wrist wrapped in tape.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I really hope this doesn't turn into a bigger hunt to find an injury. There's a reason coaches only mention upper or lower body injury - players target soft spots.

Ace88*

This is obvious. It's a hockey season and Phil's not invincible, nor is anyone else (save maybe doug jarvis). Guy's had the flu, good for Randy for not running him like a beaten mule.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

It sounds like there's something bad going on with his wrist. THat it's not just nothing. I am worried now and hope he is okay.

also lol at the picture in OP. He's my favourite player and all but if i saw him out jogging, just the way he looks i wouldn't guess he was a hockey player at all let alone the best player on the Toronto Maple Leafs

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
how about the fact that the leafs are one of the most penalized teams in the league and phil the thrill doesn't get a ton of pk time?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
what a ridiculous article.

you can tell the media is just itching for any opportunity to redeem themselves after how stupid Thrill has made them look the last couple of years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad