Phil Kessel's ascent a lesson for David Clarkson’s doubters

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
The only fans that are embarrassing and annoying are the fans like you.. You know, the ones that overreact to every move this team makes.. and everything this specific fan says or does is short sighted... I agree, the Clarkson contract is terrible right now. However it's RIGHT NOW. You, me and Dave Nonis do not know how he'll play next year and the year after. Let's wait a couple years and a few playoff rounds before we judge please.

I just want to add, I would like proof of me overreacting to EVERY move this team makes. Frankly, this is probably the only move I've been very vocal on because I predicted this disaster way before it happened.

agropop

Mar 3, 2011
Windsor
Think he's overpaid by about 1.5 mil, enough I guess for the chicken littles among us to start hyperventilating.

MrLegend28*

people think too much like video game gms and not real life. even at his current contract Clarkson could easily be moved. I emphasize on easily. You me and the other forum poster dont know the locker room, how could we say hes not worth it? He could be the most charitable person. He could be a great leader for the kids.

People on the internet have no accountability. its sad really. I bet in 2 years if Clarksons killing it the same people will be tooting his horn. Its lame to be negative all the time. Seriously.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Doesn't require a dance, nor is it worthy of an overreaction. An extra 1.5 in cap space isn't going to make or break anything for the team.

You're dancing and you don't even know it. LOL.

What exactly about Clarkson is even worth $4.1 million?

agropop

Mar 3, 2011
Windsor
You're dancing and you don't even know it. LOL.

What exactly about Clarkson is even worth $4.1 million?

5.25-1.5=3.75

At 3.75 mil he's a perfectly serviceable 3rd line grinder who can drop the gloves occasionally, chip in offensively, and provide leadership.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
people think too much like video game gms and not real life. even at his current contract Clarkson could easily be moved. I emphasize on easily. You me and the other forum poster dont know the locker room, how could we say hes not worth it? He could be the most charitable person. He could be a great leader for the kids.

People on the internet have no accountability. its sad really. I bet in 2 years if Clarksons killing it the same people will be tooting his horn. Its lame to be negative all the time. Seriously.

Genius! Let's just do away with discussion forums altogether.

Odds are you will lose that bet you're proposing. Face it, it's a terrible signing and every Leafs player is charitable. Most charitable? What does that even mean? They are paying a guy a ridiculous amount of money because he's the most charitable? I'd rather they just give the money they are paying him to charity. Colton Orr is charitable and good in the locker room. Should we give him $5.2 million?

You're saying because somebody has an opinion on a signing that they don't like, they are being negative all the time? Should we all just say " Great job Leafs" to everything they do? Or should we just all agree with you so you your feelings aren't hurt.

Your post just shows the lengths some people will go to defend everything this team does.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
5.25-1.5=3.75

At 3.75 mil he's a perfectly serviceable 3rd line grinder who can drop the gloves occasionally, chip in offensively, and provide leadership.

I keep thinking he's making 5.6M for some reason. That number is stuck in my head.

My main problem is that he can't skate. He's a terrible fighter, not intimidating in the very least and doesn't really chip in offensively. Everything you said, he hasn't shown at all this year. Leadership, maybe but the Leafs don't need that from him. It's a complete waste of $5.2 M. An unnecessary signing.

agropop

Mar 3, 2011
Windsor
I keep thinking he's making 5.6M for some reason. That number is stuck in my head.

My main problem is that he can't skate. He's a terrible fighter, not intimidating in the very least and doesn't really chip in offensively. Everything you said, he hasn't shown at all this year. Leadership, maybe but the Leafs don't need that from him. It's a complete waste of $5.2 M. An unnecessary signing.

I think it's a complete waste of 1.5 million, the other 3.75 I think he can live up to.

Haven't, and won't deny that it's a bad deal in both hit and term but (again) I don't think the margin is something that's worthy of an overreaction.

I think he can settle in with Bolland on the third line and contribute, especially come playoff time.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Do you suppose these are the traits GMs are seeking when looking to trade for a player?

sw13

Jan 31, 2014
Another embarrassment of an article by Cox. Just awful. Each player has nothing to do with the other. Go back to Jan. 2013 and look at Cox want to trade Kessel. Hilarious. Comparing a 25 year old elite sniper to someone who fluked into 5 mil because of a 30 goal year, a cup run and the "intangibles." Nik Kulemin is a much better, younger player than Clarkson but he'll be dealt or let walk for nothing. Leaf mgmt may give an injured Bolland similar money with less term. Terrifying even with the cap going up.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
I think it's a complete waste of 1.5 million, the other 3.75 I think he can live up to.

Haven't, and won't deny that it's a bad deal in both hit and term but (again) I don't think the margin is something that's worthy of an overreaction.

I think he can settle in with Bolland on the third line and contribute, especially come playoff time.

Is any contract in the NHL worthy of an overreaction?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Clarkson is what he is a support player that isn't going to provide a lot of offense.

A team isn't made up of all stars, it has different roles and those roles are filled by appropriate players.

Supply and demand, sometimes you have to overpay.

The trouble is you don't commit to paying $10 a bottle of water for 5 years during a flood. You buy enough, what you need, and keep your head on straight.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
No but, without Clarksons the leafs werent losing because he was playing?
Didnt reasons come into play not just because one players gone

I have no idea what you are trying to say. Maybe try it again without all the negatives?

ForSpareParts*

I think that he was brought here to be a physical guy in the post-season. If he's not bringing it, then I'll be just as disappointed as the rest of the fans.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Can we keep Clarkson off the team please

Why you ask? Well besides the obvious here are some stats

Without Clarkson, Leafs are 13-4-1
With Clarkson, Leafs are 17-17-5

Keep that scrub out of the team!

/thread

how many of those games that David Clarkson has played included two centres by the names of Bolland and Bozak

you'll find your answer there

Listening to him on the radio and following him on twitter, he doesn't say anything negative anymore

it's tough to try to lead the band I guess when the Leafs are winning, I mean even the most chronic of LeafLanders have little to b*t(h about these days unless it's bringing up something out of the past like the Courtnall Kordic trade or how Burke traded 3 sure fire hall of famers for Phil Kessel and then didn't fire RW soon enough

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

David Clarkson obviously hasn't had the best of starts with the Leafs and the contract doesn't help for you people who are obsessed by it, but there are extenuating circumstances. His elbow of course being one.

A bursa sac injury doesn't suddenly appear overnight it is a crippling condition that becomes chronic and eventually makes it almost impossible to bend the arm, even with cortisone and freezing. He's been playing with it all year. Clarkson will be important to the team going down the stretch as the game changes to the playoff grind mode.

Have patience

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What the longest run of games Clarkson has played this year? I expect he'll be a much better player once he gets a longer run of games in.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
The big problem with Clarkson is not only is his production bad right now for the money, it's only going to get worse. He's already 30 and has 6 years left, and players like him (grinder, power forward types) age poorly most of the time. It's not a guarantee but it's pretty likely. A good example is a guy like Brendan morrow. By the time he was 33-34 the injuries had caught up to him and he was a shell of his former self. And he was more talented then clarkson is now. This is why I'm not surprised the rangers are shopping Callahan. He's a great player but giving 6+ million for 7 or 8 years to a guy who is gonna wear down in a couple years just isn't smart. Hopefully well smarten up and stay away from contracts like this again.

I hope Clarkson is a Brendan Morrow. Very few guys make it that far.

Ruutu, Bertuzzi, Brown, Kesler, Cole, Stoll, Malone, Fisher, etc. All guys who were hard-nosed, tough to play against guys who are now ineffective when playing or often injured or get many less points or all of the above.

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
if you are in a desert, you will pay more for water than if you lived in the rain forest.

You cannot simply look at Absolute value (ie. first line goal production) in terms of evaluating Clarkson's contract.

Value is dependant upon need, and Nonis evaluated that we needed a s**t disturbing, tough to play against veteran in our top 9. I imagine he wanted him to be top 6, but so far that hasn't happened. we'll see where this goes.

Ultimately, the Leafs paid more (around 1.5 mill) because we valued highly that type of player.

In terms of cap space going forward, the next big contract that will be given out is Bolland (14/15).. Yes, Clarkson's contract will make it hard to sign Kule and Franson, and I am happy about that, because they are both replaceable by younger, cheaper players.

In 15/16, we have Kadri, Bernier who will be cashing in (though both are still RFA), but by then Gleason and perhaps even Gunnar and lupul will be made redundant and traded. Both Gleason and Gunnar are off teh books in 16, 17

Last edited:

Ryancoke13

May 4, 2012
I am frustrated with watching Clarkson get paid a large some of money to be suspended, injured and under performing, However I would like to see larger sample size and his playoff performance as a leaf before I throw in the towel on him completely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad