Phil Kessel Versus Corey Perry

Who's been the better player?

• Total voters

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
i'd take perry in his prime over phil at his best, for sure. but with perry's steep decline the past couple years, kessel could go down as better career value wise.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I’d still take Perry over their careers as of now, but it’s close enough that Kessel can change my mind depending on how the next few years go.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Is the question right now or overall? Right now, it's Kessel and it's not even remotely close. In their primes, it's super debatable, I'd probably take Kessel because of his stronger ES production with lesser linemates. Both were fantastic playoff producers, so there isn't much of a difference there.

I think the big problem with this comparison is that these two guys are actually pretty different players, so who you view as "better" depends on what you value about players highest. Perry is the more complete player, is more physical and is the better goal scorer, but Kessel is better at ES, can drive a line better and is a better playmaker. I view Perry to be Dallas James Neal on steroids, who's a very different player than Kessel.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Perry has a marginally higher career PPG and with all due respect, I can't imagine what else Kessel does to make up the gap.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Perry has a marginally higher career PPG and with all due respect, I can't imagine what else Kessel does to make up the gap.

Playoff PPG
Kessel: 0.9
Perry: 0.75

Large sample size for both...

Kessel is the far better player when it matters ainec

Reactions: Freedom and RayB

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

If this is career, all Kessel has to do is keep performing like he's been performing as a Pen, while Perry continues to produce like he has the past two years in his steep decline.

If Kessel can remain a 70+ point guy for the next half dozen seasons and Perry, from here on out, is nothing more than a 50 point guy, I'd say that puts Kessel in the clear lead. And that seems to be how they're trending.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If this is career, all Kessel has to do is keep performing like he's been performing as a Pen, while Perry continues to produce like he has the past two years in his steep decline.

If Kessel can remain a 70+ point guy for the next half dozen seasons and Perry, from here on out, is nothing more than a 50 point guy, I'd say that puts Kessel in the clear lead. And that seems to be how they're trending.
I totally agree, just that OP asked for past tense.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Close. Perry was really really effective in his prime, but he's had a rough go of it over the past couple seasons.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
What? Both of these guys were world class players at their peak and one of them is still a 70-point player. That’s an insane thing to say.

As someone who has a Kings logo, did you become a fan like 2 years ago?
Perry in his prime, was not only a great player but a massive POS that took some liberties. He did the same shit every game against the Pacific especially. I don't think it has anything to do with their production :laugh: more to do about the player.

But yeah, saying that, Perry in his prime was a beast.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
As someone who has a Kings logo, did you become a fan like 2 years ago?
Perry in his prime, was not only a great player but a massive POS that took some liberties. He did the same **** every game against the Pacific especially. I don't think it has anything to do with their production :laugh: more to do about the player.

But yeah, saying that, Perry in his prime was a beast.

I’ve been a Kings fan for 25 years. I hate Perry as much as the next guy, but you can’t deny how good he was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad