Phil Kessel running for President

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Obviously he's not on the ballot. Regardless of his age, ballot access isn't just freely given to anyone who wants to run. That's why we have write-in candidates.

And yes, I'm serious about this being a stupid thing to do. When a celebrity says "write in my name", a certain percentage of people who hear that message are going to think it's hilarious and actually do it on a whim. That percentage is going to be a lot higher when people are already actively looking for alternatives to the major candidates, and the celebrity in question is a member of a defending championship team who has a large social media platform.

This wouldn't matter if he were playing in NY, California, Texas... but Pennsylvania is an absolutely critical battleground state in this election. The result there dramatically impacts the electoral map one way or another. And as we saw in Florida in 2000, it's not unrealistic in a close swing state that even only a hundred joke-votes can actually make the difference in the entire race. It can be that close and it has been that close in the recent past.

The t-shirts by themselves are funny enough as an in-house joke, I get that, but tweeting it out to the world at large and now having official NHL communications get behind it just not a smart thing to do at all. It's actively encouraging people to act stupidly about something that's extremely important.

Dude, relax. It's not close. The monster vote for Trump is absolutely obscene. Kessel's shenanigans won't be nearly enough to make a dent in the coming landslide.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad