News Article: Phil Kessel is the Kind of Veteran Winner the Young Leafs Need by Steve Simmons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
So, the Stanley Cup has been raised by the Penguins who are as worthy a champion as the NHL as seen in some time.

The list of reasons why Pittsburgh won is a long one: the incredible leadership of Conn Smythe Trophy winner Sidney Crosby, the electric skill of Kris Letang, the fresh perspective of coach Mike Sullivan, the wise-beyond-his-years resolve of rookie goalie Matt Murray. Lesser role players like Bryan Rust, Carl Hagelin and Evgeni Malkin also helped guide the Penguins to their first championship since 2009.

But only one of member of the team stands out as the kind of player the Toronto Maple Leafs need if they expect to lift their own Cup soon: Phil Kessel.

What I find interesting is he says this:

The Leafs already have assembled a talented pool of prospects that are the envy of the NHL. Future superstars like William Nylander, Mitch Marner and soon Auston Matthews will need to be taught valuable lessons by a veteran leader. Come to the rink, play your game and stay grounded. That is how you become a champion.

Some people want Stamkos, but I'm sorry, I think I'd rather have the proven playoff performer and now Stanley Cup champ to teach the kids how to play winning hockey.

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/201...aple-leafs-steve-simmons-fake-not-real-humour

:sarcasm:

Radomon

Jun 1, 2004
Stockholm
Well, this is Simmons... and him, like many other journalists since the Kessel trade, do everything in their power to provoke us Leafs fans. The majority of us feel happy for Phil and realize he wouldn't have success in Toronto and people can't stand that. They want us to be bitter.

But to comment on the article I'd say Phil is the kind of player that makes a huge difference on a good team (team USA/Pens) but he's not the kind of player to carry a young team like the Leafs. Also, I see Stamkos as a greater role model than Phil both on and off the ice.

EDIT: Meh, you got me as well. But my point still is valid IMHO, and goes for many journalists.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
The sad thing is I could absolutely believe Simmons to write something that ridiculous.

I appreciate that even the link doesn't believe this is real humor ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad