Phil Kessel: Countdown to 40 Goals

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
So Kessel is at 33 goals right now, and with his current pace he should top 40 for the first time in his career. He needs just 7 in the last 18 games of the season!

He would be the first to hit 40 as a Leafs in over a decade, since Sundin in '01-'02. And Bozak sure thinks he can do it: “Phil has always played well since he’s been here and done some great things for our team. I definitely wouldn’t doubt him getting 40 by any means.” link

In my opinion, it will be a pretty special thing to see him hit that number this season.

Last edited:

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
I really hope he can. He was dubbed a 40 goal scorer almost immediately after he came from Boston. I mean it is understandable since he had 36 in only roughly 70 games or so, but he played on a much better team at that time with a top centre in Savard.

It'd be nice though because we've all been anticipating it for a while and I'm getting tired of the "best 40 goal scorer to never score 40 goals" jokes on HF.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Watch him go on a scoring drought of about 10 games, just to piss off people.

Who cares though if he reaches 40 goals or not. I really could care less. Seems like a milestone that makes no difference. As long as he's scoring threat and making clutch plays, like almost scoring with 20 seconds left in third last night or assisting on the GWG, I really don't care if he reaches 40 goals.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
40 would be nice, but I'll be just as happy if he ends up at 37 or 38 for the year.

The important thing is how dominant he's played. Whether he gets goals or assists or is a + player......he's really helping us get into the W column, even when we shouldn't be there.

We outshot AGAIN last night, and gave up two shorties, but timely plays from Kessel, Kadri, and Bozak made all the difference. Been doing that all year.

KEEP IT UP, PHIL.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Phil would rather help the team make the playoffs than get 40 goals. He has such a great attitude as a player and for the Toronto market.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
40 would be nice, but I'll be just as happy if he ends up at 37 or 38 for the year.

The important thing is how dominant he's played. Whether he gets goals or assists or is a + player......he's really helping us get into the W column, even when we shouldn't be there.

We outshot AGAIN last night, and gave up two shorties, but timely plays from Kessel, Kadri, and Bozak made all the difference. Been doing that all year.

KEEP IT UP, PHIL.

Let's be honest here, if Phil only scores 4-5 goals in the last 18 games, nobody is going to be happy, long-haul, sure 37-38 is a fantastic season, but when he's been this hot for this long, if he goes that cold people will start getting antsy. Hell, he's more likely to end with 45 than 38, but either way I just hope he doesn't go ice cold over the stretch, because if Kessel stops scoring, it means we're losing some meaningful games...

Also, Kessel's my favourite player and I've been on his side since day 1, but to commend him for making the difference last night is ignoring that he put it on Moore's tape for that 2nd SHG (and was also a big catalyst in Grabner's first SHG in the NYI game). Phil's amazing and definitely our MVP this year, and he's going to make some mistakes, but he needs to cut down on those glaring ones right now.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

Phil would rather help the team make the playoffs than get 40 goals. He has such a great attitude as a player and for the Toronto market.

Getting 40 goals would probably help make the playoffs.

Hope he gets there!

TheThrill81*

KEEP IT UP, PHIL.

It was the Rangers who were lucky to get a point out of last night's game.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
People are obsessed with a nice rounded number. What if he gets 39? Big deal, let's hope he can continue his good play.

hockeyfanz*

A few things.

1.) Kessel getting to 40 without any team success means nothing.

2.) It seems to me that with Kessel's skill and ability, 40 is not that lofty a goal. I think this guy can do better. Is Steven Stamkos really 20 goals better than Kessel in any given season? Or Ovechkin? Not from where I'm standing. I watch Kessel play and I don't understand why he hasn't reached 50 yet let alone 40.

Also note..this is an honest opinion of Kessel and not meant to pi$$ off Leaf Nation...as I am always being accused of trolling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
A few things.

1.) Kessel getting to 40 without any team success means nothing.

This thread isn't about team success, it's about Kessel scoring 40 goals. We can talk about that without having to attach success to it, just like we could still criticize Clarkson even if the Leafs win the cup.

2.) It seems to me that with Kessel's skill and ability, 40 is not that lofty a goal. I think this guy can do better. Is Steven Stamkos really 20 goals better than Kessel in any given season? Or Ovechkin? Not from where I'm standing. I watch Kessel play and I don't understand why he hasn't reached 50 yet let alone 40.

You are putting Kessel in the Ovechkin/Stamkos category?

You said it.

hockeyfanz*

This thread isn't about team success, it's about Kessel scoring 40 goals. We can talk about that without having to attach success to it, just like we could still criticize Clarkson even if the Leafs win the cup.

You are putting Kessel in the Ovechkin/Stamkos category?

You said it.

Kessel being in consideration for the Hart is a weird one for me. If you have to pick 3-5 guys to consider he would be one of them, but Crosby is just kinda running away with it anyway so I'm not sure what "consideration" really means.

Umm from a goal scoring perspective....Kessel appears to be as good as anybody..Im not saying he is as good as Stamkos or Ovechkin as a whole. Those guys aren't 5 or 10 goals better....but more like 15-20 goals better when they play a full season....why?

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
And yet people still crap on him,calling him lazy,fat and complain that he doesn't hit everything he sees on the ice

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
It would be great if he hit 40 since people have called him a 40 goal scorer forever (since he was a leaf anyways). Although, Phil could score 70 goals and I wouldn't care if the leafs still missed the playoffs or were easily bounced in the first round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad