Phil Kessel...big attitude problem?

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
I've heard he doesn't get along with teamates, to the point where the young American teens in the WJC wouldn't even pass to each other. How much of the Kessel naysaying is conjecture and how much presents a problem in the future?

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
His teammates at minny loved him.

He's a VERY shy kid, who absolutley hates tv and radio even, cuz he gets so nervous, not media saavy yet, and some may perceive that as him being stuck up or having a attitude.

coaches and teammates have nothing but positive things to say about him.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
I don't know which way I sway on this yet as I have not heard anything concrete in the news.

- He was tagged for underaged drinking earlier this season - not much made of it.
- I have heard rumors about his mom - typical overhyped hockey-mom.
- He was relatively invisible during much of the time UMN played UW (the only times that I've seen him play were the 5 games against UW and two in the Worlds, so please don't accuse me of passing any judgement.)
- He did have quite a few taunting gestures in those games vs. UW and a few run-ins with Jack Skille. But, I attribute that to intese emotion since both Kessel and Skille are from Madison and have followed very similar paths.
- He is an awesome player who certainly has a gift for playng the game. If there is an attitude issue, I hope it doesn't affect his potential.

With all that said, I hope he continues to be a non-factor in games vs. the Badgers next season. ;)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
All that I know is that he is the perfect fit for the Pens. The other two top forwards, Staal and Toews, look more like center prospects and very good ones. Kessel has that flash that would be perfect on Crosby or Malkin's wing. In fact he should be almost illegal there.

ALL ABOUT WHO FITS

Kessel, Toews, Staal, Niklas Backstrom of Sweden and Michael Frolik of the Czech Republic are all forwards who play different styles, so it may come down to which player fits best for a club.

"When you identify the top four or half-dozen they could go in order of need by the NHL teams," NHL Central Scouting director E.J. McGuire said.

"These handful of kids are so close in their relative contribution to their team that any one of them could be the right fit at the right time.

"If a team wants a defenceman, they're going to take Johnson.

"If a team wants a big centreman, they going to take Jordan Staal. If they want flash and dash, they're going to take Phil Kessel."

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Hockey/2006/04/20/1541843-sun.html

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
Jaded-Fan said:
All that I know is that he is the perfect fit for the Pens. The other two top forwards, Staal and Toews, look more like center prospects and very good ones. Kessel has that flash that would be perfect on Crosby or Malkin's wing. In fact he should be almost illegal there.

ALL ABOUT WHO FITS

Kessel, Toews, Staal, Niklas Backstrom of Sweden and Michael Frolik of the Czech Republic are all forwards who play different styles, so it may come down to which player fits best for a club.

"When you identify the top four or half-dozen they could go in order of need by the NHL teams," NHL Central Scouting director E.J. McGuire said.

"These handful of kids are so close in their relative contribution to their team that any one of them could be the right fit at the right time.

"If a team wants a defenceman, they're going to take Johnson.

"If a team wants a big centreman, they going to take Jordan Staal. If they want flash and dash, they're going to take Phil Kessel."

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Hockey/2006/04/20/1541843-sun.html
No offense (and you're a good poster by the way) but, other than it being about Kessel, what does this have to do with the topic?

Alberta Yote said:
Rabid Ranger said:
Your eyesight needs to be corrected.

So does your joke recognition system.
As does mine.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
AdmiralPred said:
No offense (and you're a good poster by the way) but, other than it being about Kessel, what does this have to do with the topic?

I am saying that I would take him in a heart beat. As would the Pens apparently, they mention him as one that they are considering with their pick which is no later than three. I can not see this slam on his character dropping him in the least.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
Jaded-Fan said:
I am saying that I would take him in a heart beat. As would the Pens apparently, they mention him as one that they are considering with their pick which is no later than three. I can not see this slam on his character dropping him in the least.
Gotchya. I'd take him too. Apparently there must not be that much about his attitude that is turning teams off, otherwise you'd think we'd hear more about it.

I am Jack's Fish

Ahhh, the annual "let's pick apart one highly-touted prospect right before the draft"

Somewhere Spezza is smiling...

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Actually I think in this case it is wishful thinking slamming on the part of fans of some teams. ie, 'hey, he might fall to us at 7, 8, 9 or 10!' Dream on.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
Kessel and Skille had an ongoing situation for years but they straightened it out enough to win Gold together. And from what I know about the situation, Skille was just as immature as Kessel was. Funny how only one of the guys gets crap about it though, isn't it? (As an FYI - we covered this briefly in our profile of Skille in last year's Young Guns Hockey Draft Guide.)

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
Here in Chicago, we heard it was more a parent thing than a player thing. I'm sure if we get a chance to take him (& want him), we will.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Chief said:
Kessel and Skille had an ongoing situation for years but they straightened it out enough to win Gold together. And from what I know about the situation, Skille was just as immature as Kessel was. Funny how only one of the guys gets crap about it though, isn't it? (As an FYI - we covered this briefly in our profile of Skille in last year's Young Guns Hockey Draft Guide.)
There are alot more than just the Skille stories. And its not just his mom.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
AdmiralPred said:
- He was tagged for underaged drinking earlier this season - not much made of it.

There was nothing made of it because there was no proof of it. Unless you consider "proof" to be video of him simply sitting there with a few friends in a bar. They had no idea if he was drinking any alcohol. So he wasn't tagged for anything.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Chrisd said:
His teammates at minny loved him.

He's a VERY shy kid, who absolutley hates tv and radio even, cuz he gets so nervous, not media saavy yet, and some may perceive that as him being stuck up or having a attitude.

coaches and teammates have nothing but positive things to say about him.

This is pretty much the same read I had of him and his teammates/coaches at the U.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
PuckFan01 said:
There was nothing made of it because there was no proof of it. Unless you consider "proof" to be video of him simply sitting there with a few friends in a bar. They had no idea if he was drinking any alcohol. So he wasn't tagged for anything.

-"Hey guys lets go down to the bar."
-"Im getting a roy rogers!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad